Flush to whom?

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Flush to whom?

Postby NEFarmwife » Wed May 02, 2018 11:59 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
NEFarmwife wrote:Well, she's started her shots. We'll flush her on the 14th. We are doing Acclaim the first go round because of the interest of the mating, around here. If she flushes well, we have an opportunity to make some money on her embryos but the interest in them is making my husband second guess whether we should sell them.

We'll flush her a second time to Jet Black and then have her calve to Resource, probably. I do like that Jet Black.


I'll bite, why not flush her again to Acclaim? Making money is never a bad thing.

A little diversity. If for say, we only had 4 good eggs for first round, may flush to acclaim again. Right now, we only have 5 recips for transfer and wouldn't mind a few in the tank for later but if she flushes really good (anything over 8?)... We would sell a few. I want to have a few different matings from this girl.
0 x

W.B.
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:21 pm
Location: SD

Re: Flush to whom?

Postby W.B. » Wed May 02, 2018 12:50 pm

I have only seen acclaim calves at one place. You had to look to find them as there wasn’t even one stick out individual. Makes me wonder if he might be a paper tiger. I will also add he is a hot item at the moment.
1 x

Dixie2542
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:51 pm

Re: Flush to whom?

Postby Dixie2542 » Thu May 03, 2018 5:54 pm

I realize jet Black is young but have you or anyone seen offspring? I like the look and pedigree.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Flush to whom?

Postby NEFarmwife » Fri May 04, 2018 8:59 am

Dixie2542 wrote:I realize jet Black is young but have you or anyone seen offspring? I like the look and pedigree.

Not any of his offspring but we've used and liked his sire. I showed him to a few guys last night, they like the looks of him and are also fans of his sire.
1 x

Dixie2542
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:51 pm

Re: Flush to whom?

Postby Dixie2542 » Fri May 04, 2018 1:56 pm

NEFarmwife,

For some reason this website won't let me click on the heart button so I'll write instead... I fully agree with your answer. Let's us know how it goes and i hope they turn out as great as he looks. :)
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: Flush to whom?

Postby elkwc » Sat May 05, 2018 12:06 pm

W.B. wrote:My reasoning for not buying bulls out of cows that haven’t raised at least 4 calves has to do with all the traits that epds don’t measure. There are just way too many cows that are getting flushed who couldn’t survive in the real world let alone raise a decent calf on their own. I know I may sound old and antiquated but my reasoning is born of experience not hype and hope.

We have been having colder weather than normal and the maternal instincts to have a calf, get it up and then protect it from the wind is amazing and there are some stark differences. Flush away heck if you don’t some one else will.


I agree with what you said. IMO the stud farms using young sires that have never spent a year covering pastures and breeders using unproven females has led to other issues. A cow that hasn't had to nurse a calf and walk a large pasture for a living hasn't proved she can survive in the real commercial world. Also you only know maternal traits and instincts from seeing them in real time. Just last Sunday we turned out some heifers and calves. While we were there a very large dog came over the top of the hill and one of them took off at a run and gave him a boost and followed him a ways. Coyotes are terrible in our country so that survival trait is important. When she came back her and one more took their calves and headed off.
With that being said I respect your decision to flush her. The Tour of Duty's has caught my attention some but the few I've seen haven't impressed me as much. I like the Hoover Dams. One of the young bulls we retained and are using is a grandson of HD on the top side and his dam is an own daughter of War Party. IMO Hoover Dam and Final Answer are always good solid bets for a good functional animal.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Flush to whom?

Postby NEFarmwife » Mon May 14, 2018 12:39 pm

Excited! We had 10 confirmed eggs. Embryologist said there could be one or two more but he was busy and had to pass the buck to someone else for handling. He’ll contact us later and let us know final count if that number has changed. 6 we did a live transfer.

Nick Jindra showed up just as they were finishing with our live transfers. Our embryologist introduced my husband to him and shared our donors numbers. He asked for Hubbys contact info and took a look at our donor but she was already in the trailer. So, wasn’t a whole lot of her to see.

Our embryologist really thinks she’s something to look at and he sees a lot of good cows.

What are the odds, that the sires owner shows up when you’re flushing? Lol. It was kinda neat and I’m jealous that I couldn’t be there.

But I am STOKED. We wanted atleast 6 for transfers. We’ll have her back in June if the weather doesn’t get too hot.

I am just beside myself. We’ve had such great news these last few days, in our personal lives and then this just took the cake! I’m off work now, think I’ll have me a glass of wine.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Flush to whom?

Postby NEFarmwife » Mon May 14, 2018 12:53 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:Excited! We had 10 confirmed eggs. Embryologist said there could be one or two more but he was busy and had to pass the buck to someone else for handling. He’ll contact us later and let us know final count if that number has changed. 6 we did a live transfer.

Nick Jindra showed up just as they were finishing with our live transfers. Our embryologist introduced my husband to him and shared our donors numbers. He asked for Hubbys contact info and took a look at our donor but she was already in the trailer. So, wasn’t a whole lot of her to see.

Our embryologist really thinks she’s something to look at and he sees a lot of good cows.

What are the odds, that the sires owner shows up when you’re flushing? Lol. It was kinda neat and I’m jealous that I couldn’t be there.

But I am STOKED. We wanted atleast 6 for transfers. We’ll have her back in June if the weather doesn’t get too hot.

I am just beside myself. We’ve had such great news these last few days, in our personal lives and then this just took the cake! I’m off work now, think I’ll have me a glass of wine.


Officially 13 eggs. 6 live transfers, 7 froze.
0 x

Dixie2542
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:51 pm

Re: Flush to whom?

Postby Dixie2542 » Mon May 14, 2018 1:43 pm

Congratulations! That's wonderful news and meeting the owner is a good bonus to boot. Anything over 7 is great in my opinion. Hope they stick. Are you still planning to use Jet Black on your next flush?
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Flush to whom?

Postby NEFarmwife » Mon May 14, 2018 2:04 pm

Dixie2542 wrote:Congratulations! That's wonderful news and meeting the owner is a good bonus to boot. Anything over 7 is great in my opinion. Hope they stick. Are you still planning to use Jet Black on your next flush?

To my knowledge, yes. We got the semen for it. A lot can change from now till then.
0 x

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: Flush to whom?

Postby Air gator » Mon May 14, 2018 7:12 pm

Congratulations. You all must have taken extra special care to get her ready. Multimin? Concept-Aid?
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Flush to whom?

Postby NEFarmwife » Mon May 14, 2018 7:27 pm

Air gator wrote:Congratulations. You all must have taken extra special care to get her ready. Multimin? Concept-Aid?

No sir. She’s with calf so we give her a lactating ration, a good quality mineral thru Hubbard Feeds, and head scratches.

Then all the shots prior to flush was our embryologists doing. He’s exceptional.
0 x


Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests