Charolais Cows

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
Hoser
Cowhand
Cowhand

Charolais Cows

Postby Hoser » Mon May 21, 2018 3:15 am

My sister went and bought 15 old 1800 lb Charolais cows (because they were cheap) and well, she's more interested in breeding horses than cows so she asked if I could AI them for her.
They are not bad looking but could use their frames moderated and some added milk. The buyers around here like blacked nosed charolais calves (BA x Char) but she's open to other breeds of bulls. What bulls would you guys recommend?
0 x

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Charolais Cows

Postby Tbrake » Mon May 21, 2018 6:48 am

Coneally United will be perfect on them. That is what I use on all my large framed cows to bring them down.
1 x

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Mon May 21, 2018 10:14 pm

I'd consider Bruiser from ABS. He should produce more moderate and efficient calves that will still perform well.
1 x

Hoser
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hoser » Tue May 22, 2018 12:30 am

Lazy M wrote:I'd consider Bruiser from ABS. He should produce more moderate and efficient calves that will still perform well.

I'm trying him on my hereford cows. Do you have any calves out of him?
0 x

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Tue May 22, 2018 6:39 am

Hoser wrote:
Lazy M wrote:I'd consider Bruiser from ABS. He should produce more moderate and efficient calves that will still perform well.

Yes I used him heavily over the last 3-4 years and have been pleased with his calves. I have several of his daughters in production now and they have been good cows so far
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Tue May 22, 2018 2:29 pm

Lazy M wrote:
Hoser wrote:

Yes I used him heavily over the last 3-4 years and have been pleased with his calves. I have several of his daughters in production now and they have been good cows so far

I had what would have been a 1/2 brother to Bruiser out of Bismarck that we used for several years. If Bruiser breeds anything like him and I feel he probably does and exceeds him that would be a good choice for larger framed Charolais cows. Our Bismarck calves were consistently thick made.
1 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Tue May 22, 2018 6:51 pm

one of the best cows I own is 1/2 Char. and 1/2 Brahman. She is a calf raising cow, always weans off the biggest calf of all my cows and it will bring as much or a little more than the rest. i breed her to a Angus. I know you are way to far north to think about Brahman but it would make some calf raisers
1 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Hoser
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hoser » Wed May 23, 2018 1:02 am

BRYANT wrote:one of the best cows I own is 1/2 Char. and 1/2 Brahman. She is a calf raising cow, always weans off the biggest calf of all my cows and it will bring as much or a little more than the rest. i breed her to a Angus. I know you are way to far north to think about Brahman but it would make some calf raisers

There's a gentleman who has a few Brahmans around here. He beds them really good and has wind breaks all around them in the winter and they do well. They must be tougher than some give them credit for.
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Wed May 23, 2018 8:09 am

But what are they doing better than a regular cow couldn't do up here? Niche/gimmick/ extra work to bother with them.
0 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Wed May 23, 2018 9:11 am

Supa Dexta wrote:But what are they doing better than a regular cow couldn't do up here? Niche/gimmick/ extra work to bother with them.

nothing, that's why I said you are to far north. but they do great in hot, humid weather they have their place and it not where you are.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Hoser
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hoser » Wed May 23, 2018 4:13 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:But what are they doing better than a regular cow couldn't do up here? Niche/gimmick/ extra work to bother with them.

I should have added they are rodeo stock.

I like their big ears but I had enough trouble keeping ears in tact this calving season.
0 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”