Which CE Angus bull?

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
Hogtiming
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Which CE Angus bull?

Postby Hogtiming » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:44 am

Niagra would sell easy and so would fortress here. I have seen fortress calves they are nice. I would prob roll the dice and breed to colonel tho.t I’m not worried about my heifers calving so ced I do not pay much attention to to an extent Example I would not breed them to harvestor tho. Commercial wise it depends on where your located. For my dads commercial cattle He sells a sitzupward replacements without an issue and for good money. But location is key. Imo I would not use charlo from my experience they dog either dog gentle or pit bull mean
0 x

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Air gator » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:44 am

SOB,
The crazy thing is that the semen is SELLING at that price.
I have also seen Byergo Black Magic with some sticker-shock prices but I don't think it sold..and then ABS had a limited available bulls and I think BBM semen sold in the $80 range.

Jeanne Simme Valley,
The Angus Journal had data on Calving ease in Feb.
From my recollection, there was basically no benefit to go beyond +10 CED.
I have learned my lesson from some posts on here about going too small on calves....I'm sure you have seen some photos on here. If they start out looking like a Poodle they probably won't end up looking like a Clydesdale.
Cow Pollinator also had a theory from his experience that you don't want a curve bender for a heifer because of the demand a growthy calf puts on the heifer...dragging her down and making it harder for her to breed back.
1 x

torogmc81
GURU
GURU

Postby torogmc81 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:07 pm

Did C Plus ever start producing again. First his sire had problams, now his son Plus has/had production issues. Anyone out there know more details of 0100 or Plus' issues getting collected, etc.?

We are getting heavy quickly on Final Answer/Capitalist and his son 316. And with a lot of heifers, I'll use 316 on all that aren't FA, but was looking to start using Epic on heifers. I've heard good on his calves, numbers are good at sales. But anymore information out there, like hair/shedding, udders, feet, etc on Epic??

EDIT POST. Just looked up Epics price, he went up to $45 (I want to say he was at 30). I have too many pricey bulls in the tank already ….. might have to regroup on these thoughts ….
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:11 am

Air gator wrote:
If anyone has experience with Jindra Acclaim...what are they like?

We flushed our donor to Jindra Acclaim. We used and sold the first flush. Did a live transfer on 6, we should have calves come Valentine’s Day. Have basically sold all of her next, when we flush her again. We’re waiting, since it’s gotten so hot out.

But here in Nebraska, Acclaim sons are sellers and I like the looks of them. We’re excited to see how they turn out.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:14 am

torogmc81 wrote:Did C Plus ever start producing again. First his sire had problams, now his son Plus has/had production issues. Anyone out there know more details of 0100 or Plus' issues getting collected, etc.?

We are getting heavy quickly on Final Answer/Capitalist and his son 316. And with a lot of heifers, I'll use 316 on all that aren't FA, but was looking to start using Epic on heifers. I've heard good on his calves, numbers are good at sales. But anymore information out there, like hair/shedding, udders, feet, etc on Epic??

EDIT POST. Just looked up Epics price, he went up to $45 (I want to say he was at 30). I have too many pricey bulls in the tank already ….. might have to regroup on these thoughts ….

We used 50 straws of Epic on our virgin heifers. I’m telling you, he’s remarkable! I saw many of his calves and they were all very uniform. Every one I pointed at, that I said I liked, was an Epic. Bull or heifer calf. Didn’t matter.
0 x

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Air gator » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:24 am

NEFarmwife,
How does he compare to Acclaim? Didn't you flush to Acclaim?
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:23 pm

Air gator wrote:NEFarmwife,

We did. We flushed to him with our donor. (6 live transfers) We also flushed Epic but with a different donor. We have 4 of those live transfers in our recips.

I feel Epic is an “all around” bull that should meet anyone’s needs, honestly. Number wise. Having just recently seeing such a large group of calves from him, it makes me extremely excited to see our future calves. We flushed and did AI.

Acclaim makes good looking bulls, have not seen any as calves. Opposite could be said about Epic. I’ve only seen calves.

Purely on numbers, I’d do Epic over and over again. He’s safe, proven. And a very nice set of numbers. Feed efficiency is high for some but I think his other numbers counter balance it.

Shooting for the moon on our donor... had to do Acclaim. He’s hot right now.
We were able to sell our other 7 embryos for a decent price and have a list of buyers for our next flush.
0 x

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Air gator » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:17 pm

NEFarmWife,
Were the Epic calves at Express or somewhere else?
I know Express did really well with his calves at Denver but I hadn't heard much about him.
0 x

torogmc81
GURU
GURU

Postby torogmc81 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:12 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:

We did. We flushed to him with our donor. (6 live transfers) We also flushed Epic but with a different donor. We have 4 of those live transfers in our recips.

I feel Epic is an “all around” bull that should meet anyone’s needs, honestly. Number wise. Having just recently seeing such a large group of calves from him, it makes me extremely excited to see our future calves. We flushed and did AI.

Acclaim makes good looking bulls, have not seen any as calves. Opposite could be said about Epic. I’ve only seen calves.

Purely on numbers, I’d do Epic over and over again. He’s safe, proven. And a very nice set of numbers. Feed efficiency is high for some but I think his other numbers counter balance it.

We were able to sell our other 7 embryos for a decent price and have a list of buyers for our next flush.

Do you have Epic semen in inventory? $45 is tough for me. Any thoughts on wherther his price will come back down??
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:49 pm

Air gator wrote:NEFarmWife,
Were the Epic calves at Express or somewhere else?
I know Express did really well with his calves at Denver but I hadn't heard much about him.

The gentleman we purchased our donor from in SD, had told us when he brought her down, that he had used Epic the past AI season. When we visited SD, we weren’t far from his place so we spent an afternoon looking at his cows/calves. He had several sires he AI’d with and you could pick those Epics out. Although everything looked really good and he has a great program, those Epics (IMO) were a stand out from the rest.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:58 pm

torogmc81 wrote:
NEFarmwife wrote:

Do you have Epic semen in inventory? $45 is tough for me. Any thoughts on wherther his price will come back down??

We do not. When we ordered, our semen guy told us when he delivered them, that price had literally went up just after we had ordered. We held a few back for our flushes. I think he’s had a couple increases because we bought at $30, then they hopped to $40. Now $45? Wish we’d have bought more.

I could reach out to semen guy on thoughts about price. He’s such a knowledgeable man. He may even know someone who’d be willing to part with some?
0 x

hornedfrogbbq
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby hornedfrogbbq » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:38 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:

Has anyone had any experience with females out of Epic? i just called his dam's owner to ask how she is and how she looks. I had heard a rumor of prolapse from our semen rep and want to confirm or deny. Anyone?
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:41 pm

I’ve read that on here but I’ve not heard personally.
0 x

torogmc81
GURU
GURU

Postby torogmc81 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:26 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:
torogmc81 wrote:
NEFarmwife wrote:We did. We flushed to him with our donor. (6 live transfers) We also flushed Epic but with a different donor. We have 4 of those live transfers in our recips.

We do not. When we ordered, our semen guy told us when he delivered them, that price had literally went up just after we had ordered. We held a few back for our flushes. I think he’s had a couple increases because we bought at $30, then they hopped to $40. Now $45? Wish we’d have bought more.

I could reach out to semen guy on thoughts about price. He’s such a knowledgeable man. He may even know someone who’d be willing to part with some?

Probably since they needed to lower Cowboy UP to $30, Epic took his place on Express list on the "over 40" club :nod:
0 x

hornedfrogbbq
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby hornedfrogbbq » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:20 pm

Cowboy Up? At a single digit milk? I get what he does but if you keep ANY heifer calves how does that work?

It seems like the perfect bull if you chased milk in the south and your breed-back rate isn't good.

A whole lot of registered folks down here chased $B and huge growth when the environment could not handle it. I am sure every Koch and cargill and national beef rep is pushing HQ.

What percentage of producers gain from better $B? What percentage benefit from grading?

Who the cuss is running this?

I have my guesses...
1 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”