The best bull to create replacement females.

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
BC
GURU
GURU

Re: The best bull to create replacement females.

Postby BC » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:25 am

Hornfrogbbq, you have not told us what part of the country these cattle will be located. Having environmentally adapted cattle is the most important factor. The cow has to be able to raise a big healthy calf and get rebred on the available forage.

That said, in my part of the world if I was specifically trying to raise replacement females, I would use the thickest made, cleanest sheathed Santa Gertrudis, Brangus or Beefmaster bull I could afford. The steer calves may not top the market but their sisters will more than make up the difference.
1 x

76 Bar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 76 Bar » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:29 pm

Ebenezer wrote:A son of the best suited cow in your herd.

:tiphat: Thank you JDG for extrapolating on Ebenezer's deceptively succinct post. Remarkably well written.
0 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:55 am

succinct - had to look it up. Did not know if it was a disease that needed treating or not. :? Glad to know I am deceptive with the truth. Thank you for the complement. I'll put it with all of the my "I love me" stuff, other plaques of grandeur and accolades unless that matchbox is full.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:43 pm

Tbrake wrote:
Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
Tbrake wrote:Chisum 6175 has put the best females in my herd without a doubt.
I’ve thought about breeding some of my angus heifers to simi bull uno mas, but I’m afraid the steers won’t grow.

Use Elevate (genex), the steer mates will grow!

How is the shape and birthweight on his calves?
Spring or fall?
I tend to want something pretty high CED for spring calving because they are always 10-15 lbs heavier.
Falls I can be a lot less picky for heifers

Tbrake. Explain the comparisons in birth weights between fall and spring. That is interesting.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:21 pm

Tbrake. Explain the comparisons in birth weights between fall and spring. That is interesting.[/quote]

My spring calves are always 10-15 pounds bigger, Sometimes more. (Springs are born jan/ feb, falls aug/sept/oct). Some of the same bulls, and very similar cows. I have heard this from some old timer neighbors several times, but I’m finding it to be very true for me.
I only explanation I have heard is the cold weather causes the cow to pump more blood, causing more nutrients going to the calf. True or not, I have no idea. Last winter was the coldest I remember, and I had some big calves. Averages close to 100lbs. Having calves now, some out of the same bull been averaging 75 lbs.
talking to the county agent recently told me nutrition in the last trimester has very little to do with calf size.
I graze a lot of wheat and turnips in the winter and used to pull the cows off about a month before calving. I had bigger than avrage calves last year, but so did the cows who where on decent hay and 3lbs of grain. Looking back though my records, the cows on wheat had calves 2-3 lbs bigger. Decent sample size 75 births on wheat/ turnips 119 births on stockpiled fescue/ hay/ 3lbs grain.
Only 35 fall cows due, I will record their bw.

I’m not the only one who had large spring calves, I’ve talked to people all over who are saying the same thing. General theory has been the abnormally cold winter over most of the country.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:26 pm

Tbrake wrote:
My spring calves are always 10-15 pounds bigger, Sometimes more. (Springs are born jan/ feb, falls aug/sept/oct). Some of the same bulls, and very similar cows. I have heard this from some old timer neighbors several times, but I’m finding it to be very true for me.
I only explanation I have heard is the cold weather causes the cow to pump more blood, causing more nutrients going to the calf. True or not, I have no idea. Last winter was the coldest I remember, and I had some big calves. Averages close to 100lbs. Having calves now, some out of the same bull been averaging 75 lbs.
talking to the county agent recently told me nutrition in the last trimester has very little to do with calf size.
I graze a lot of wheat and turnips in the winter and used to pull the cows off about a month before calving. I had bigger than avrage calves last year, but so did the cows who where on decent hay and 3lbs of grain. Looking back though my records, the cows on wheat had calves 2-3 lbs bigger. Decent sample size 75 births on wheat/ turnips 119 births on stockpiled fescue/ hay/ 3lbs grain.
Only 35 fall cows due, I will record their bw.

I’m not the only one who had large spring calves, I’ve talked to people all over who are saying the same thing. General theory has been the abnormally cold winter over most of the country.

Thank you. That indicates it is temperature related. I have a high average birth weight. Approximately, 86 pounds. I am totally fall calving. My cows calve September/October. I sure don't need another 10 pounds per calf. Convincing argument for staying with fall calving. Thanks.
0 x
Diogenes.

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:34 pm

Do you consider how closely related the bull is to the majority of your herd? And I assume the bull also breeds his mother?

If you had a very small herd all descendents of one cow would you still use a bull from that line?
0 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:31 am

ez14. wrote:

Do you consider how closely related the bull is to the majority of your herd? And I assume the bull also breeds his mother?

If you had a very small herd all descendents of one cow would you still use a bull from that line?

Have built a line and it includes mother/son matings and you cannot pick them out. Have a mother/son calf to wean this time and will use him to enforce the mother's influence. He's right there with the rest and you will not pick him out as different. Set up another one this breeding. The lines are all based on cattle from a common decedent or two in the herd. You can cull regressed animals just like you cull the duds from normal outcross breeding.
2 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:30 am

BC wrote:Hornfrogbbq, you have not told us what part of the country these cattle will be located. Having environmentally adapted cattle is the most important factor. The cow has to be able to raise a big healthy calf and get rebred on the available forage.

That said, in my part of the world if I was specifically trying to raise replacement females, I would use the thickest made, cleanest sheathed Santa Gertrudis, Brangus or Beefmaster bull I could afford. The steer calves may not top the market but their sisters will more than make up the difference.

What BC said, although I'd focus on Brangus, and add "deep-bodied" to the description.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:40 am

0 x
Diogenes.

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:46 am

Rafter S wrote:
BC wrote:Hornfrogbbq, you have not told us what part of the country these cattle will be located. Having environmentally adapted cattle is the most important factor. The cow has to be able to raise a big healthy calf and get rebred on the available forage.

What BC said, although I'd focus on Brangus, and add "deep-bodied" to the description.

I try not to breed pimp and prefer red or yellow cattle.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:33 pm

BC wrote:
Rafter S wrote:

I try not to breed pimp and prefer red or yellow cattle.

Fair enough. By the way, I'm not in the seedstock business, so I guess pushing Brangus works against me because if everyone liked them I couldn't afford to buy the bulls. And I have nothing against Beefmasters or Gerts.
2 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”