Interesting set of horse papers

All about horses.
branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Re: Interesting set of horse papers

Postby branguscowgirl » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:18 am

ropinranger wrote:Should be a good, cowy, quick footed pony. My heel horse is a Doc's hickory/Peppy san bred horse. He was cutting horse trained prior to roping...has worked out well. There is a rope horse trainer I know in the Stephenville area that starts all of his ropers as reiners for about 60 days, then moves to roping.

That's called giving them a "foundation." Every horse, no matter what discipline they go on to, needs to be started right. "60 days" is just barely a start on the basics that every horse should have.......
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

ropinranger
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ropinranger » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:37 pm

Brangus, don't really know what you mean there...I did say a "start" --so, to be more exact...he puts 30 days or so on them(they know how to go, stop, turn, back, and are beginning to neck rein, can change gaits with little to no pressure, etc.), then puts 60 days of reining training on them, then moves them to roping(by that time they will stop with little to no rein pressure, move off the leg, and really keep their hind end engaged, spin, roll back, flying lead changes..)...so, yeah, that's a pretty good foundation(which we call a start, or at least I do, here), but -- that being said, most cow horses on the working ranches are out in the pasture with the cattle after a few days under saddle in the arena/round pen; so I don't really know what you are saying about the 60 day deal; after 60 days, my ponies can move off the leg, the reins, and pretty much are starting to get "ahold" of what they are supposed to do with a cow. Of course, I do know some dressage trainers that take 6 months before they lope/gallop a horse...that's the first ride here.
0 x

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:41 pm

Everyone has a diferent idea of 30 days training. And a different idea of 60 days reining training. When I trained horses for a living. It was amazing how much faster some came along than others. One year I started 3 full siblings all the same age and handled the same. If I didn't know better would of said 3 blood lines.
0 x

Return to “Horse Talk!”