It cost to own a horse!!!!!

All about horses.
talltimber
GURU
GURU

Re: It cost to own a horse!!!!!

Postby talltimber » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:25 am

Bigfoot, you should be able to deduct your fuel, fees, feed, miles, etc on your horse deal, at least on your open/pro trips that is. Idk about the youth rodeos, I doubt it. You may have to go look at some cows somewhere, and they just happen to have a youth rodeo there as well. Just sayin.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

BobbyLummus1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby BobbyLummus1 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:00 am

Make a colt to sell , My horses have paid for themselves and the barn every year 100 times over . Its a world of a lot tougher than it used to be a but a good young gelding will still bring the money :2cents:
0 x

ropinranger
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ropinranger » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:03 am

I do like Bobby, I try to make a decent horse and sell one or two a year....to help support my two rope horses and my team roping "habit"....

I did like you are doing Bigfoot and supported the kiddos(mostly just one that took to it), but she is in college now and only "talks" about barrel racing and roping mostly...I do still have her barrel/san angelo ambassador horse, just in case she decides to take it back up. I can also heel of that mare, so she can pay for her keep in other ways.

I love my horses, but, like you, I don't like to add up what it takes to keep them around...not to mention the LQ trailer we have to have for the weekend ropings/rodeos, the diesel to get there and back, etc. But, some of that I do get to deduct from taxes.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:33 am

I raised colts for a long time. When I got out, I said I was out to stay. I figure a 5 year old, that's operating like you want is cheap at any price, compared to raising one. I quit when I had kids. Just wasn't enough time to be a dad, and finish one properly---------and raise cattle and work off the farm. One of my kids might want to fool with young stuff someday. They can if they want to, but I've moved on.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

ropinranger
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ropinranger » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:28 pm

I am pretty much quitting the colt starting/riding bizz as well, I have one more that just turned 3. Once he is gone, I will probably not do any more.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:23 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:I don't know how far your are from Louisville. I have a sister who lives there. If I ever get up that way I will make it a point to look you up.

I have a sister in law in Houschton, it might be I'm by you sometime to.

BIgfoot, is that near Braselton?
0 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:03 pm

We only go occasionally. That sounds right though. It's fairly close to Athens, I know for sure.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:08 pm

Gotcha. I'm about 2.5 hours from Athens. South. But if you get that close you just let me know.
0 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

Return to “Horse Talk!”