Very flighty horse, won't load

All about horses.
BobbyLummus1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Very flighty horse, won't load

Postby BobbyLummus1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:40 pm

I use to deal in horses , and never had the same one around too long . didn't always have much time either . I would take a long lead rope and lead the horse up to the point where it stopped or balked , take the rope through the trailer and tie it off at the back off the trailer with out ever getting in the trailer( dangerous) . then take a rachet strap around the horses rear end and crank him in little at a time, and tighten the lead rope as you progress , some like the pressure like a cow . never have to get in the trailer this way ( safe ) . of course you can take your time desensitizing the trailer first if you like
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:46 pm

A medium sized loop with a lariat rope around his rump, and GENTLY apply forward pressure when he balks or tries to run backwards. A fair percentage of tie down horses get a little unsure about what the fella standing in front of them is after, and this is a bit of an easy fix. I've loaded a bunch of them in 10 seconds that folks had been working on for days. It should be noted that I had nothing to do with thinking this up on my own. It was shown to me by one of the greats.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:12 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:A medium sized loop with a lariat rope around his rump, and GENTLY apply forward pressure when he balks or tries to run backwards. A fair percentage of tie down horses get a little unsure about what the fella standing in front of them is after, and this is a bit of an easy fix. I've loaded a bunch of them in 10 seconds that folks had been working on for days. It should be noted that I had nothing to do with thinking this up on my own. It was shown to me by one of the greats.

That's always the first thing I try as well. I had one really good mare that would not load first thing in the morning without a rope draped over her. After a while I didn't have to use it but it had to be there. :lol:
Before I tried to do anything with him I'd wear him down a little as others have said. Saddle him up and make him stand there tied at the trailer for a couple of hours so he gets it in his head he's going to work. On days when you get him loaded, take him somewhere and give him a good workout, load him for the trip back home and then load him and unload him a few times while he's still a little tired. You can put more pressure on when they're worn out than you can at the beginning of the day.
0 x

Return to “Horse Talk!”