Very flighty horse, won't load

All about horses.
BobbyLummus1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Very flighty horse, won't load

Postby BobbyLummus1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:40 pm

I use to deal in horses , and never had the same one around too long . didn't always have much time either . I would take a long lead rope and lead the horse up to the point where it stopped or balked , take the rope through the trailer and tie it off at the back off the trailer with out ever getting in the trailer( dangerous) . then take a rachet strap around the horses rear end and crank him in little at a time, and tighten the lead rope as you progress , some like the pressure like a cow . never have to get in the trailer this way ( safe ) . of course you can take your time desensitizing the trailer first if you like
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:46 pm

A medium sized loop with a lariat rope around his rump, and GENTLY apply forward pressure when he balks or tries to run backwards. A fair percentage of tie down horses get a little unsure about what the fella standing in front of them is after, and this is a bit of an easy fix. I've loaded a bunch of them in 10 seconds that folks had been working on for days. It should be noted that I had nothing to do with thinking this up on my own. It was shown to me by one of the greats.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:12 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:A medium sized loop with a lariat rope around his rump, and GENTLY apply forward pressure when he balks or tries to run backwards. A fair percentage of tie down horses get a little unsure about what the fella standing in front of them is after, and this is a bit of an easy fix. I've loaded a bunch of them in 10 seconds that folks had been working on for days. It should be noted that I had nothing to do with thinking this up on my own. It was shown to me by one of the greats.

That's always the first thing I try as well. I had one really good mare that would not load first thing in the morning without a rope draped over her. After a while I didn't have to use it but it had to be there. :lol:
Before I tried to do anything with him I'd wear him down a little as others have said. Saddle him up and make him stand there tied at the trailer for a couple of hours so he gets it in his head he's going to work. On days when you get him loaded, take him somewhere and give him a good workout, load him for the trip back home and then load him and unload him a few times while he's still a little tired. You can put more pressure on when they're worn out than you can at the beginning of the day.
0 x

brushcountryman
Beginner
Beginner

Postby brushcountryman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:14 am

my way might not be good for a public forum either but I "heard " that tying them to back of trailer with gate open and drive down gravel road slowly they will get tired of following the trailer and realize it is easier to ride in the trailer it only takes once or twice they figure it out quikly
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:03 am

Here's a great video on loading horses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yfvocbWteQ
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:08 am

M-5 wrote:My way of fixing it is not Something I can share on a public forum. But I can tell you from experience that after a lesson if the door opens he will load and look back at you to shut the gate.

x2, MAKE HIM HUNT A HOLE!
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:14 am

Not saying this is the case here, but I think there are some people who just don't speak horse, (or cow, or whatever), and just get body language, etc all wrong every time.. my dad is one such person.. I do best getting everything involving cows done before he shows up to 'help', last year I sorted off 22 calves from their mommas in about 10 minutes.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:26 pm

That's how it is with us nes. I can sort em off easier than him. He gets riled up pretty quick
0 x

Return to “Horse Talk!”