saddling a horse or mule

All about horses.
BRYANT
GURU
GURU

saddling a horse or mule

Postby BRYANT » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:34 am

I have always put a blanket on first then a pad then my saddle, but people are saying that is wrong that the pad goes on first then the blanket. Is there a right way or does it even matter? As far as my mules I don't think it matters one way or the other to them.
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Re: saddling a horse or mule

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:36 am

I run a 1" thick wells 5 star, and that's all. Blanket over a pad, would be for looks imho. Blanket under a pad, would negate good money for a pad. It wouldn't do its job------Wick sweat, and disperse pressure. Opinions will vary, but that is all I have ever done.
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:37 am

Actually, in the absence of withers on a mule, it is more critical than a horse, to be padded properly.
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:09 pm

I was putting the pad over the blanket to keep the pad cleaner. I am probably not doing it right and will try it the other way or just leave the blanket off.
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:22 pm

Bigfoot is right on the money with the 1" thick felt pad. They hold up well and a good pressure washer will clean them up nice. I prefer one without the leather wear patches though, so I can cut it down to barrel length for certain shorter backed horses. I have an assortment of wool blankets I can throw over the felt if I'm out and about....its way cheaper than buying 15 pads in different colors!
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers