Real Ranch Horses

All about horses.
Dave
GURU
GURU

Real Ranch Horses

Postby Dave » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:37 pm

This last weekend I went to the Real Ranch Horse sale at the Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch over near Billings. This was the real deal. They way they selected, sifted, sorted, and previewed the horses was outstanding. If a person couldn't find what they needed in the way of a cow horse there either they didn't need a cow horse or their wallet wasn't thick enough. I had people tell me I was nuts to drive 900 miles each way to go to a horse sale, but you would absolutely drive your tires off to find this many horses of this quality.
My daughter brought home a 7 year old gelding that is going to work for her. Me..... my pockets weren't deep enough to buy the ones I wanted. But if I still need a next year this time I sure know where I will go to find him.
0 x

Jim62
GURU
GURU

Re: Real Ranch Horses

Postby Jim62 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:47 am

How fat would a wallet need to be to get a good working horse?

My neighbors are going to Wyoming for a horse sale. Prices there seem to run mostly from $5,000 on up to $40,000 or more.

My price ceiling for a horse is $1500. :cowboy:
0 x
WHEN INEPT, DO AS THE EPTIANS DO..............

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:16 am

I am glad they are worth something somewhere. Good broke horses won't bring $500 here....Someone tried to run a coming 3 yr old mare thru the salebarn the other day and couldn't get a bid over $300 on her, and she was a beauty.
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:58 am

Horses through the sale barn here at home are cheap too. They are lucky to bring $100. This sale is an invitation only sale. And no horse traders get invited. These are horses brought in by ranchers, ranch managers and cowboys. There was 60 horses and there was 60 good ones. I didn't see anything top $10,000 and didn't see anything bring under $3,000. The majority brought in the $4,500 to $6,000 range.
0 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:07 am

Dave wrote:Horses through the sale barn here at home are cheap too. They are lucky to bring $100. This sale is an invitation only sale. And no horse traders get invited. These are horses brought in by ranchers, ranch managers and cowboys. There was 60 horses and there was 60 good ones. I didn't see anything top $10,000 and didn't see anything bring under $3,000. The majority brought in the $4,500 to $6,000 range.

That's great Dave. I am very glad to see some ranch folks making money on horses. Any good old time Roan Hancock horses there?
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:24 pm

There were a couple of roan horses and I remember a couple with Hancock breeding a ways back in the pedigree. I would have to go back and look in the catalog to see if they were the both roan and Hancock. There wasn't a one that you couldn't take out into a big pasture and rope and doctor cattle off of.
0 x

rmorales
Beginner
Beginner

Postby rmorales » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:51 pm

Kinda of a late reply. Just getting around to reading theses posts. Anyone looking for good solid ranch horse that are dependable, gentle, willing to learn and good looking can find them at Lazy M Quarter Horses. Roan horses with just enough Hancock blood in them to make them nice and solid with little to no buck in them. Check the website www.lazymquarterhorses.com You are sure to find what you're looking for.

Thanks,

RM
0 x
LAZY M QUARTER HORSES
EAGLE PASS, TEXAS
dcreekroan@hotmail.com

Sunfish
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Sunfish » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:30 pm

When I saw this I decided people have more money than sense

Cheyenne 2014 Sale Results

Twombly Horse Sale July 26th in Cheyenne, Wyoming!

Sale was held in Cheyenne during the Frontier Days Rodeo, on the street in front of the Wyoming State Capitol Building! Rope Horse preview and trail competition was held at the Laramie County Fairgrounds just out side of Cheyenne. Great weather, horse and people made for a super fun weekend! We would like to thank all who participated in the bidding from 29 states and Canada! We made nearly 100 phone bids to those who couldn’t be there. This was our 34th sale and our highest average in history.

Sale Averages:

High Seller: $41,000

Top 5 Avg: $37,300

Top 10 Avg: $28,850

Top 15 Avg: $23,750

Top 20 Avg: $19,850
0 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:41 am

Those are prices paid by folks who NEVER shovel their own horshyt
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:24 pm

Sunfish wrote:When I saw this I decided people have more money than sense

Cheyenne 2014 Sale Results

Twombly Horse Sale July 26th in Cheyenne, Wyoming!

Sale was held in Cheyenne during the Frontier Days Rodeo, on the street in front of the Wyoming State Capitol Building! Rope Horse preview and trail competition was held at the Laramie County Fairgrounds just out side of Cheyenne. Great weather, horse and people made for a super fun weekend! We would like to thank all who participated in the bidding from 29 states and Canada! We made nearly 100 phone bids to those who couldn’t be there. This was our 34th sale and our highest average in history.

Sale Averages:

High Seller: $41,000

Top 5 Avg: $37,300

Top 10 Avg: $28,850

Top 15 Avg: $23,750

Top 20 Avg: $19,850

Normally if you throw out the top 5, and the bottom 5 the average is pretty well in line with the market. That sale looks like it defies the logic.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Johni
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Johni » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:13 am

This last weekend I went to the Real Ranch Horse sale at the Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch over near Billings. This was the real deal. They way they selected, sifted, sorted, and previewed the horses was outstanding. If a person couldn't find what they needed in the way of a cow horse there either they didn't need a cow horse or their wallet wasn't thick enough. I had people tell me I was nuts to drive 900 miles each way to go to a horse sale, but you would absolutely drive your tires off to find this many horses of this quality.
:deadhorse: :hide: :bang:
0 x

kerley
GURU
GURU

Postby kerley » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:48 pm

Johni wrote:This last weekend I went to the Real Ranch Horse sale at the Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch over near Billings. This was the real deal. They way they selected, sifted, sorted, and previewed the horses was outstanding. If a person couldn't find what they needed in the way of a cow horse there either they didn't need a cow horse or their wallet wasn't thick enough. I had people tell me I was nuts to drive 900 miles each way to go to a horse sale, but you would absolutely drive your tires off to find this many horses of this quality.
I can tell you when I was a young man living in central Nevada I flew to the Rose Classic Quarter Horse Sale in San Antonio, Texas and bought two very nice Quarter Horses. I boarded them there for two months till I got a break from work then drove to San Antonio and trailerd them back to Nevada.
0 x

LazyARanch
GURU
GURU

Postby LazyARanch » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:00 pm

I don't know what Johni's problem is, but there's been MANY a time I've driven MANY a mile to see some good horses and enjoyed every mile and every minute of the trip.

Glad you had the chance to go Dave!!

Still love me a good horse and still keeping a few good ones around here on the ranch.
0 x
"If you want to know where your heart is, look where your mind goes when it wanders." Henri Frederic Amie
Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the M is silent...

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:36 pm

Also not sure what johni is doing, but he simply did a copy and paste of Dave's original post which Dave posted almost 5 years ago.
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:58 pm

Johni wrote:This last weekend I went to the Real Ranch Horse sale at the Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch over near Billings. This was the real deal. They way they selected, sifted, sorted, and previewed the horses was outstanding. If a person couldn't find what they needed in the way of a cow horse there either they didn't need a cow horse or their wallet wasn't thick enough. I had people tell me I was nuts to drive 900 miles each way to go to a horse sale, but you would absolutely drive your tires off to find this many horses of this quality.

Then John I'd suggest you set your tail at home and don't worry about what someone else is doing.
0 x

Return to “Horse Talk!”