Bombproof Kid Horses

All about horses.
Lon
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Bombproof Kid Horses

Postby Lon » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:37 am

RHScattle wrote:There's a horse trader near where I grew up who brings in any kind of horse he can buy cheap. Beats them, drugs them and God only knows what else then tries to pass them off as bomb proof. He used to take some of them to saddle club gatherings where he would sometimes sell them after demonstrating their "gentleness" . He has literally been put out of business by people outing his practices! :clap:
BTW..My son's first and most beloved ride was a mule named Ruthie, babysitter supreme!

yeah i have come across a few that were hit up on some bute then when wore off they were something else. but one did get sold for a bareback horse i did turn a penny on him. rest were sent for dog food. cause sure wouldnt do that to no one myself.
0 x

Lon
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lon » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:52 am

Alan wrote:
msscamp wrote:
MistyMorning wrote:I'n not altogether sure if there is such a thing as a "bombproof" horse, given the nature of horses pysche and all.

There absolutely are bombproof horses, although they are few and far between. I know this is because we currently have a bombproof horse being boarded on our property. I don't know whether they are born, or made, but I have seen that horse exposed to all kinds of things, and he doesn't blink an eye at any of them. The owners have been teaching their 7 year old daughter to ride on him, and she is as safe on his back - with or without even a halter - as she would be in either of her parents arms. That horse is worth his weight in gold!

Hey MS, haven't heard from you in a while, glad to see you're still around! :tiphat: Okay now for the other half, there is sure as heck no such thing as a bomb proof horse. Maybe a change in diet and test of a new owner or just a test in general. ANY HORSE ANY DAY! They are not 4 wheelers that you jump on cold and know what buttons to push to get the reaction you want. No such thing as a bomb proof horse. Horses will push the envelope to see if they can gain ground on their handler all the time.

Alan

99.999999999999999999999% of the time your right here. but when we was kids we had a definate bomb proof horse. this little poa mare she had the strongest mother instincs youd ever see. when you rode her she watched out for you. she would never go across anything that might need to be jumped like a run of water if there was a kid on her back dad could get right on her and she would jump it but just not with a kid. when you fell off her she would turn her head look for you and come to a stop almost always putting you on the ground somewhat softly(well softly for falling off a moving horse). when it was a raining outside i remember sitting under her when was little and laughing cause was actin like milking her. there wasnt nothing she didnt mind. he77 i even remember one time was standing outside giving her sugar cubes and my mom come outside fit to kill ready to whoop some be nice just a cussing and screaming that old mare laid her ears back and got in front of me and my brother and let her know she wasnt coming closer. would chase at her paw the ground bite at the air than come back get in front of us and blow air. ol mom she yelled for us to get over there now but the old mare she wouldnt let it happen. if we walked closer she chased her farther away. any other time was nice to mom as could be.
You just had to see ol sparky when she had her when she had her kids around she was compleatly different horse than when by herself. even if something went off or anything that should make you jump she didnt do much more than tense up and look to see if you was still there. one time riding and ended up over top rattle snake she just got real stiff ol hair on her stood up. than she looked back make sure guy was still there and went just stepping as light as any dressage horse you ever seen like she was tip toes out of there. got her from dennis back in the horse killing days when he would go threw thousands of horses a year and i mean thousands. took 5 years before he found her for my dad. my dad was even offered a blank check for her and dennis told him fill it out for 100 thousand the guy will make it good. he has lots of money but his kid just got put in hospital cause of a horse that wasnt advertised right and he will pay for a real bompproof horse so his kid can ride. my dads answer was my kids would hate me that horse is like family and taught them all to ride and for that she will die on this place. might be hard for you to believe without ever seeing one but you can come across a true bomproof horse.

with exception to her though i would say every other bombproof horse i seen was a lie, a beginers horse at best on most of them that just are dead acting with no go. but if they are bit stung or spooked the kid will have one heck of a ride at best, its just thier natural instinct.
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:55 am

0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

Jim62
GURU
GURU

Postby Jim62 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:09 pm

Yep, that's her.
0 x
WHEN INEPT, DO AS THE EPTIANS DO..............

Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:37 pm

I've owned truly bomb-proof horses before. The last "bomb proof" that I bought a couple years ago was very quiet, calm at introduction and try-out . Not so when we got him home. He dumped me -- actually flew me pretty high -- with no provocation except "move." On the ground, he was a total gentleman. The seller purported to be 70-something and the owner/trainer. Well, after the fact, and after the wreck, in doing some research, figured out that this guy goes to sales, turns horses over fast. And doesn't raise/train any of them. And we found other people that had been screwed by the guy -- 10 or so that just came up via Craigslist posts. So, several of us across E. WA that had been taken by this guy started cross-posting warnings every time he put a horse up for sale. One of the "screwee's" lived in the same neighborhood, so it was easy for her to identify pics of the horses on the place, even when he tried to change his advertizing, because the horse matched the horse pictured on the place. Have not seen anything for sale from him for over a year. Does my little heart good!
0 x
I'm for shyts and giggles -- until I giggle and shyt!

cowgirllinda1952
Beginner
Beginner

Postby cowgirllinda1952 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:38 pm

Hello, my name is Linda, new here, and just saw your post. I am in Baytown, TX., close to Houston, and will soon be looking for a horse or a couple of them for my grand kids. I have heard about a horse trader in Tomball, but never been there. I do know there was a lady in Texas who was selling unbroke horses as kids horses and shipping them out of state and scamming them out of their money.

I have heard there is a trader in the New Caney/Splendora area who sells horses as "bomb proof". They have great reviews, but who knows? Maybe some people are happy, but they could also make the reviews up. Another ranch with a similiar name, told me they are unscrupulous, and get their customers by trading off on their name.

You can contact The Rip Off report to report the trader in Tomball, so others will be warned.

IMHO, it is often better to buy from individuals, rather then traders, even if you need several horses, or go to a reputable dealer, and take an experienced horse person with you.

I also would like the name of the trader in Tomball, and will pass on the names of the two others I have, if you email me. Hope this helps.
0 x

Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:37 pm

cowgirllinda1952 wrote:Hello, my name is Linda, new here, and just saw your post. I am in Baytown, TX., close to Houston, and will soon be looking for a horse or a couple of them for my grand kids. I have heard about a horse trader in Tomball, but never been there. I do know there was a lady in Texas who was selling unbroke horses as kids horses and shipping them out of state and scamming them out of their money.

I have heard there is a trader in the New Caney/Splendora area who sells horses as "bomb proof". They have great reviews, but who knows? Maybe some people are happy, but they could also make the reviews up. Another ranch with a similiar name, told me they are unscrupulous, and get their customers by trading off on their name.

You can contact The Rip Off report to report the trader in Tomball, so others will be warned.

IMHO, it is often better to buy from individuals, rather then traders, even if you need several horses, or go to a reputable dealer, and take an experienced horse person with you.

I also would like the name of the trader in Tomball, and will pass on the names of the two others I have, if you email me. Hope this helps.

Linda, anyone that's dealt with horses has probably dealt with a bad seller. Dealers are mongers. Sometimes, private sellers aren't much better if they are in a hardship spot. Your own advice is good -- take an experienced person w/ you AND get a pre-purchase vet check by a vet that isn't tied to the seller.
0 x

cowgirllinda1952
Beginner
Beginner

Postby cowgirllinda1952 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:21 pm

I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to say that these people have changed the name of their business, and have several bad reports about them on rip off reports. They actually "stole" a lady's horse that she sent there for training, they claimed she had died. I also noticed they have not updated their website in quite sometime. The site makes them sound like respectable people. As said here, no matter how bad the reputation, they can always find new suckers. Jim, did you ever figure out what to do with those geldings? That is such a shame, knowing they were bought for kids.
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:05 pm

last I heard they have moved to Oklahoma and are no longer in the Houston area.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:21 pm

We have them here, too . . . . . they "recycle" horses from kill pens. Those that truly want to re-home an animal often get waaaaaay more than they can handle.
0 x

Nisi
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Nisi » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:33 pm

Hi, I have just registered here. I wanted to say that these people are still active, now in Magnolia, TX. I have searched Dreamhorse, where they were advertising and have seen they are silent again. They had quite a few (all bomb-proof/confidence builder/beginner safe) for several months. Unfortunately, I bought what I thought was an amazing horse from them. Believed everything even though my spidy-sense was tingling. Didn't search their name until *after.* Found several rip-off reports and this forum by searching their name.

I just wanted you all to know they are still out there... still selling.

The horse I bought? Well, he was super quiet and wonderful until he got mad, then he broke in two. I'm STILL, even after reading all the info I have found, having trouble believing they knew he was like that. It shocked the heck out of me. I noted some mini-tantrums that seemed like anger at home. I had no idea he'd break out into a buckaroo bugaloo. I wasn't hurt bad, but my emotional state was screwed for a month.

So... whether they knew or not - they are still out there selling, they are still selling lots of horses as super gentle. Just so those of you planning to buy know.
0 x

Return to “Horse Talk!”