Bombproof Kid Horses

All about horses.
3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Bombproof Kid Horses

Postby 3waycross » Wed May 25, 2011 12:38 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:happens alot experienced horseman,, sells a horse...horse trys inexperienced rider,,, rider gets a little nervous.. horse pulls another trick and its a snowball effect

Except I believe they were sold as kids horses. This guy shoulda went back with a club and got a refund if the seller knowingly sold him a rank horse for his kid.
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

Angus Cowman
GURU
GURU

Postby Angus Cowman » Wed May 25, 2011 12:55 pm

3waycross wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:happens alot experienced horseman,, sells a horse...horse trys inexperienced rider,,, rider gets a little nervous.. horse pulls another trick and its a snowball effect

Except I believe they were sold as kids horses. This guy shoulda went back with a club and got a refund if the seller knowingly sold him a rank horse for his kid.

I sold a horse several yrs ago that my 3yr old daughter rode and this horse was broke to death and I had never seen or known of the horse to give anyone a problem except when we broke her and she was hard to break would buck everytime you got onher and really liked it
she was this way for a yr or so but she wasn't unpredictable you knew she was gonna buck when you got on her
Finaly one day she just quit
I sent her to a cutting horse trainer and she was good
I used her as a ranch horse for several yrs my oldest daughter started riding this mare when the horse was 6 or 7 and my daughter was 5
then my youngest daughter rode this mare when the mare was16 or 17 and my daughter was 3
when a kid was on this horse she done great and never made a bobble and I have picks where the kids have her in the creek with 4 or 5 on her back jumping off in the water using her as a diving board
We finally decided to sell her to a guy who's daughter needed a good broke horse for his 6 yr old daughter and they had bought som bad horses that didn't work out

I agreed to sell him the horse and his daughter came over and rode the horse about 15- or 20 tmes in a month just so they knew for sure that they could get along with her

They finally took the mare home and called 2 weeks later and said the mare was mean and wasn't broke enough for their daughter or anyone else for that matter

I loaded up and went over there to see
I asked the guy to go catch the mare and saddle and bridle her so I could see what she was doing
well the guy caought her and started leading her to the tack room and everytime the mare got with 2-3ft of him he would hit her with his hand or the lead rope because he said she was charging him (she wasn't) the mare was trained to walk with her head about a ft behnd twhoever was leading her and about a ft to the side
I stopped him loaded the mare and gave him his money back and told him that he should never own a horse again
a bad or inexperienced person can ruin a good horse quick and some people should never own a horse
I took the horse back home and she never had had a problem other than if you moved real quik around her head for awhile she would try and run backwards away from you if you were on the ground

not saying this is the case but sometimes it is the new owners fault not the horses
0 x
If they had to actually work with a Spade and Hoe versus electing them we would all be better off (Caustic Burno 2011)

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed May 25, 2011 1:08 pm

i beleive you,, thats why i used to not let my son ride my calf horse ...he could have him upset.. before you could hollar dont do it
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

peg4x4
GURU
GURU

Postby peg4x4 » Wed May 25, 2011 7:09 pm

Could you post a vidio of their behavior??
0 x
"In the Spring,I have counted 136 different kinds of weather in 24 hours."
Mark Twain,who must'a been in Texas at the time

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Fri May 27, 2011 9:11 pm

I stepped onto a mare that I've owned for a little over a year now with spurs for the first time today and had an easy little bronc-ride for the first time in years.
I've had my kids on her, my wife(who doesn't ride)on her, my dad... I've put quite a few miles on her myself...NO problems.
I stepped up on her with spurs after getting off a horse that needs them and she just got MAD and I never even tapped her. Even after I pulled them off she let me know she wasn't happy. :nod: Her previous owner was a female roper that liked to yank their head away from them and spur because she had spurs on and I guess I reminded that mare of her.
I got her quieted back down and put my boy on her and she worked like nothing had ever happened.
0 x

JSCATTLE
GURU
GURU

Postby JSCATTLE » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:18 pm

if its truly the horse and the guy won't refund your money I know what I would do . I have several horses but I don't let anyone ride my cow horse . I ride with a real lite hand and use my legs mostly . I can't stand to see someone yanking on a horses mouth .
0 x
God bless America .. 1/20/17 ..

4kfarms
Beginner
Beginner

Postby 4kfarms » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:56 am

Agree with the last post. Horses WILL ALWAYS go to the ability of the rider. It IS possible to have highly well trained ( $$) horses - that if inexperienced children keep giving inconsistent cues- or yanking, kicking etc.. the horse will go "beserk" out of sheer fustration. Not for nothin' but the BEST kids horses I have EVER come across - are the old ones. Babysitters- been there done that horses. Best place to find THEM/ Local 4H offices ( older kids going off to college ) FFA class teachers ( same ) -HS RODEO associations, Little Britches Rodeo etc... American DUDE ranch assoc. ( Guest ranches thinning their guest ranch horse herds ) and believe it or not ?? RESCUE Horses such as US Equine Rescue League and others ... Since you saw the horses work, and they seemed ok, perhaps put a really knowlegeable rider on there and see the horse go thru the paces, if all is ok? you have your answer. Sounds like kid and horse just don't "click" anyway.. I would try to get the seller to take the horse back- or sell it, and find something more KID friendly, try looking at the above places. Sorry you had a bad experience. Just playing "devils advocate" that it is NOT always the dealer ( or the horses fault). :hat:
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:19 am

MistyMorning wrote:I'n not altogether sure if there is such a thing as a "bombproof" horse, given the nature of horses pysche and all.

There absolutely are bombproof horses, although they are few and far between. I know this is because we currently have a bombproof horse being boarded on our property. I don't know whether they are born, or made, but I have seen that horse exposed to all kinds of things, and he doesn't blink an eye at any of them. The owners have been teaching their 7 year old daughter to ride on him, and she is as safe on his back - with or without even a halter - as she would be in either of her parents arms. That horse is worth his weight in gold!
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

Jim62
GURU
GURU

Postby Jim62 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:58 am

Thank you all for your thoughts. I took the horses in question over to a very well-known trainer to have him evaluate them to see how to try to sell them. They did wonderfully, and he said he figured they were good kid horses. Put an ad on his website. He priced them at $2500. Got a call from a woman looking for a horse for her 10 year old son. When she came out, he was going to demonstrate them, and they both tried to buck him off, and one tried to run away with him. You guessed it, no sale.

To make the long story short, I have 3 horses for sale-$1,200 each or all 3 for $3,000. For an additional $10,000, I'll throw in a 2009 WW Brightline Horseman trailer for them to ride in.

I am just totally tired of getting screwed by horse people and the horses they rode in on. I'm going to pi$$ away my next $20,000 on something else---maybe cattle.

I wish that I could give their names, but I really don't have time or money to be fighting a lawsuit.
0 x
WHEN INEPT, DO AS THE EPTIANS DO..............

cowgirllinda1952
Beginner
Beginner

Postby cowgirllinda1952 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:36 am

I

I live in the Houston, TX area and am looking for horses for my grand kids, would sure like to know the name of this person in Tomball. Thanks
0 x

Lon
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lon » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:21 am

cowgirllinda1952 wrote:I

I live in the Houston, TX area and am looking for horses for my grand kids, would sure like to know the name of this person in Tomball. Thanks

I would give some seriouse thought in looking for a POA gelding for them grandkids. I have been around a few and they are by far the most consistantly level headed calm horse there is for a kid that can come in a smaller package without having all the pony attitude. Granted there are hot and calm in every breed but i have been very impressed with the ones i came across and most of them were just threw auctions. matter in fact only horse i would have ever called a true kid bobproof horse was POA welsh cross and she was one of the rare few that would take care of her rider 100% of the time no if and or buts.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:58 pm

I've gotta agree with you on the POA. The majority of them I have been around are great for kids. You can put a pretty nice handle on them most of the time to. I've also seen a few halflingers that were used as an amish school bus. They make a good kid horse when you find one.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:10 pm

msscamp wrote:
MistyMorning wrote:I'n not altogether sure if there is such a thing as a "bombproof" horse, given the nature of horses pysche and all.

There absolutely are bombproof horses, although they are few and far between. I know this is because we currently have a bombproof horse being boarded on our property. I don't know whether they are born, or made, but I have seen that horse exposed to all kinds of things, and he doesn't blink an eye at any of them. The owners have been teaching their 7 year old daughter to ride on him, and she is as safe on his back - with or without even a halter - as she would be in either of her parents arms. That horse is worth his weight in gold!

Hey MS, haven't heard from you in a while, glad to see you're still around! :tiphat: Okay now for the other half, there is sure as heck no such thing as a bomb proof horse. Maybe a change in diet and test of a new owner or just a test in general. ANY HORSE ANY DAY! They are not 4 wheelers that you jump on cold and know what buttons to push to get the reaction you want. No such thing as a bomb proof horse. Horses will push the envelope to see if they can gain ground on their handler all the time.

Alan
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

RHScattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby RHScattle » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:45 pm

There's a horse trader near where I grew up who brings in any kind of horse he can buy cheap. Beats them, drugs them and God only knows what else then tries to pass them off as bomb proof. He used to take some of them to saddle club gatherings where he would sometimes sell them after demonstrating their "gentleness" . He has literally been put out of business by people outing his practices! :clap:
BTW..My son's first and most beloved ride was a mule named Ruthie, babysitter supreme!
0 x

Tim/South
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Tim/South » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:06 pm

One thing I would check is saddle fit.
In many cases it is either a sore back, or a horse horse had been "cowboyed" when the parents were not around.
When one begins to act up all of the sudden I first look for sensitive areas.
I hope they did not sedate the horse. Especially for kids.
0 x
“You cannot get the water to clear up
Until you get the pigs out of the creek.”

Return to “Horse Talk!”