30 days of training...

All about horses.
3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Re: 30 days of training...

Postby 3waycross » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:39 am

milkmaid wrote:First colt... yep, I did do that for the first couple days, more so I could turn him and/or get his head around if he tried to blow up when I first got on. I'm one really lousy bronc rider. Just haven't done it since and probably ought to re-visit it. I've got side reins left over from my English days and might just use those.

Second colt... if my folks had their way, I'd have the helmet every time I was riding. I rode English - Pony Club - for a lot of years and the USPC motto was "Every time, every ride." Used the cross-country vest for jumping too. Nowdays I'll put the first couple rides on a colt with the helmet and vest, or the ones that have given me problems... ie the sorrel had bucked me off the day before that video. His head's not tied down, just have a running martingale on, same as the bay colt. We'll see but he's been handling really nice. Really nice ride now, been quiet and does what he's told immediately. Giving the bay colt the day off today and taking the sorrel on a ride up in the mountains, need to find out how he'll cross bridges, water, etc.

Hope you are wearing the helmut for that. There's lots of little things that rattle in the bushes up there ;-)
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:48 pm

My apologies, milkmaid. After reading back through here today I realize that I may have come accross as even more of a jerk than I really am.
In summary of what I saw on the video without telling you how to do it (since I also noticed that you do know how to sit a horse),
the first colt looks like he'll only get better. He's paying attention to what you ask him to do and thinking clearly, at least from what I saw yesterday.
The second one acts like he's still in panic mode, at least from what I saw yesterday. That will get you hurt bad if he doesn't learn to get out of that mode.

I have road-rash scars up one side of my body and slight hearing loss from the multiple cuncussions caused by an accident on a young horse that nearly killed me.
I still never wear protective gear(I also don't ride anything but broke horses and nice minded colts) but I'll never think less of anyone that does and my apologies if my coments made you embarrased of the gear.
0 x

milkmaid
GURU
GURU

Postby milkmaid » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:59 pm

Oh, no worries - no offense was taken. Here's the sorrel colt today, he's riding pretty quiet now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qroFObjayw

I'm always open to suggestions... I find you can gain useful information from almost everyone. :lol: No offense taken, hope you didn't think I'd gotten my hackles up too far. lol. ;-)
0 x
Basics needed to answer questions: age, weight, breed, sex. # affected vs # in group, feed type/amount, prior vaccinations, deworming, antibiotics, any recent changes....

More info = better answers.

Howdyjabo
GURU
GURU

Postby Howdyjabo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:18 pm

Wish you were closer- I'd send you a horse

I too liked the first horse better- for the same reasons. I'm old and not into excitement anymore.
although the third video of him walking over the bridge looked just fine.

Everytime I see a young horse hyper collected it raises red flags as to WHY? usually the answer is that the horse is pushing himself into the bit. I like a relaxed mind and the collection and controlled power coming from me asking for it over time.
0 x

hayray
GURU
GURU

Postby hayray » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:20 am

Hey nice ride on that video. That is a nice horse and riding sure is nice. What is that fancy arena that you are riding in?
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:07 pm

Image you're doing a nice job with them. :D
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

MistyMorning
GURU
GURU

Postby MistyMorning » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:55 pm

Great videos MM, thanks for sharing. You sit a horse real well, keep up the good work.
0 x
I have long known it was part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth... ~ Bill Bryson

peg4x4
GURU
GURU

Postby peg4x4 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:40 am

Both really nice horses -- I like bay horses,so that's my favorite..
btw - what is the music you used in the vidios??
0 x
"In the Spring,I have counted 136 different kinds of weather in 24 hours."
Mark Twain,who must'a been in Texas at the time

milkmaid
GURU
GURU

Postby milkmaid » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:14 pm

Peg- it's part of the soundtrack off American Outlaws. I assume it's a movie too? never saw it but someone gifted me with the music. :P

hayray - it's the local fairgrounds arena. Not mine unfortunately, but there's sure room for a lot of circles in there.

Karen - there's just the difference between English and Western riding. I rode English/dressage a lot of years and I'd rather ride a horse collected and with contact on the bit. I'll ride on a long rein if I'm trailing cows or trail riding, but circles in the arena is another matter. Drives me nuts to ride that bay colt on a longer rein. The sorrel will ride on a looser rein, but he's a better ride, better handle, everything - when I've got my reins shortened and I'm making him work. And actually - if you were to ask who is the quieter ride - it's the sorrel, hands down. I can get most horses to ride quiet for me, but what they feel like is another story. Bay colt's pretty hot; he's not broncy and he'll ride alright but you know you're sitting on a lot of horse. You have to work to get him to ride relaxed.

Got the bay colt opening and closing gates now, turns on his haunches, sidepasses, etc; he's doing pretty good. I'll probably be selling both in 2 weeks; I'll get the sale videos posted on here so y'all can see how they handle then.
0 x
Basics needed to answer questions: age, weight, breed, sex. # affected vs # in group, feed type/amount, prior vaccinations, deworming, antibiotics, any recent changes....

More info = better answers.

Howdyjabo
GURU
GURU

Postby Howdyjabo » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:52 pm

Videos aren't the same as riding- thats for sure.
BTW-I have a Dressage background,ever hear of Gunnnar Osteguard and Ellen Dixon?
0 x

hrstrader
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby hrstrader » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:23 pm

Where do such good horses sell, and what would you ask for them? Headed to Montana on monday. Thanks and both are nice horses.
0 x
A few cows and a few horses. Work to enjoy them.

hayray
GURU
GURU

Postby hayray » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:05 am

Howdyjabo wrote:Videos aren't the same as riding- thats for sure.
BTW-I have a Dressage background,ever hear of Gunnnar Osteguard and Ellen Dixon?

I haven't heard those names in years but I remember that Gunnar was Ellen's trainer. One of her first Grand Prix horses came from the farm I operate out of now, matter of fact I am looking at a picture on the kitchen wall of her and Chuck at Bit-O-Shines retierment ceremony at Devon, I think around 1980.
0 x

Howdyjabo
GURU
GURU

Postby Howdyjabo » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:12 pm

I worked for Ellen
Bit-o=shine was in the retirement barn-.
Got me to thinking what shes up tp now- I haven;t seen or heard of her in 30 years.
She was a real class act. I admired her unlike most of the others that were around.
0 x

hayray
GURU
GURU

Postby hayray » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:12 pm

about 15 or 20 years ago she was president of the USDF. I kept up on that back when I was showing and training full time. I haven't shown in about 10 years now so I don't keep up on that. I hardly do any training anymore except for some old clients. Horses are getting more dangerous and riders are worse then ever. Got fed up with the whole industry and now do cattle and hay full time.
0 x

Howdyjabo
GURU
GURU

Postby Howdyjabo » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:20 pm

I got out before they started with clicker training-- Thank God
there was a lady getting going around the time I quit that I thought was real talented.
Several years ago I saw something on TV and recognized her- and she was clicker training dressage "tricks".What an incredible sell out :(
0 x

Return to “Horse Talk!”