Breeding and Genetics ?

All about horses.
Double R Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Breeding and Genetics ?

Postby Double R Ranch » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:25 pm

Howdy all.
Got this mare that is supposidly bred really well. Have recently bred her to a "well known" sire. We find out next monday if she's pregnant. My question is Does anyone on here know Qtrhorse/Paint genetics? Im looking for a great ranch horse but all around do whatever I want to with horse. Team penning, ranch sorting, trail, extreme cowboy race. Things like that.
Sire is QtsGold Mastercard http://www.qtsgoldmastercard.com/Pedigree.html
Pedigree didn't paste as I wanted but I guess names are all some need to know whats up.
Dam is ZW Silent Class

3-Generation Pedigree
ZW Silent Class
Shez Added Class
Added Atraction
Shez A Tater
Dinos Poco Dell
Somethin Leo
Hez Lucky
Sweet Tater

ZW Skip To The Top
Sonnys Top Gun
Skippa Silent
Sonny Go Dell
Skip A Starlette
Silent Latch
Skippa Gone
ZW Silent Class

Would really appreciate some knowledge on this background. Also looking for registration name ideas for the foal! :-) Thanks all! Much appreciated!
Double R
0 x

spinandslide
GURU
GURU

Re: Breeding and Genetics ?

Postby spinandslide » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:17 am

we raise..or should I say raised paint and QH reiners and cowhorses..dont breed now as the market is in the john.

the sire has older paint breeding on him..which isnt a bad thing. our stallion is what I would call foundation paint lines as well..he has nice thick bone, alittle height..and will go all day.

bottom of the pedigree has Sonnys Top Gun..who if memory serves me right was a show horse. the Skipper in there will be awesome..or ugly..:) weiscamp, who bred Skipper W, did alot of linebreeding in his program and I think it's made afew of the Skipper's alittle nutty. I had one like that. Her sire was stellar..a calf horse..when she wanted to be good, you couldnt ask for a better horse..but she had a streak of pure evil running through her. :D
0 x
If you were a hotdog and were starving to death, would you eat yourself?

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:40 am

spinandslide wrote:we raise..or should I say raised paint and QH reiners and cowhorses..dont breed now as the market is in the john.

the sire has older paint breeding on him..which isnt a bad thing. our stallion is what I would call foundation paint lines as well..he has nice thick bone, alittle height..and will go all day.

bottom of the pedigree has Sonnys Top Gun..who if memory serves me right was a show horse. the Skipper in there will be awesome..or ugly..:) weiscamp, who bred Skipper W, did alot of linebreeding in his program and I think it's made afew of the Skipper's alittle nutty. I had one like that. Her sire was stellar..a calf horse..when she wanted to be good, you couldnt ask for a better horse..but she had a streak of pure evil running through her. :D

I remember some of those Skipper W horses from when I was a kid, the good ones were great and the crazy ones were just......crazy. Lot's of talent tho and good lookin. We only lived 80 miles from Hank and of course he was a big name around this country. I remember showing against a horse called Peka Skip he was tuff to beat, and all butt.
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

spinandslide
GURU
GURU

Postby spinandslide » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:57 am

yep..that is my experience with that line..I tend to stay away from them after that one mare we had. Funny thing was, her one foal was just awesome..never showed an inkling of the weirdness her mother had sometimes.

the mare was also a fighter..she'd fight with the other mares til the death..espc another dominate mare..I had to break up a fight between her and my mare one day..they both came out of the battle with chunks missing from their necks. :(
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:47 pm

I looked her up at APHA.

She has half siblings that have halter and performance points. She really isn't "cow' bred.

Hope that all goes well for you. I admire you having the patience to wait 4 years or so to do what you want to do.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

spinandslide
GURU
GURU

Postby spinandslide » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:52 am

Agree with Chippie also on the breeding "cow"..

Some QT's can be cowy..very cowy..just depends..heck, I owned an Impressive bred gelding who was VERY cowy..he was my supa freak horse. :)

when a person says "cowbred"..I think of a pedigree like this.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/ms+lilly+san+lynx
0 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:37 pm

spinandslide wrote:Agree with Chippie also on the breeding "cow"..

Some QT's can be cowy..very cowy..just depends..heck, I owned an Impressive bred gelding who was VERY cowy..he was my supa freak horse. :)

when a person says "cowbred"..I think of a pedigree like this.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/ms+lilly+san+lynx

That sucker shoulda hit the ground Moo'in. :lol2: :lol2:
0 x

spinandslide
GURU
GURU

Postby spinandslide » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:03 am

she did..LOL

she is the cowest beach I've ever sat on..the Peppy in her gives her abit of a stubbourn streak at time..was told "shes a mans horse"..well, Im not a man..I weigh 120 pounds and I can make this mare work..comes down to the person outthinking her and getting into her brain...
0 x

Double R Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Double R Ranch » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:19 am

Thanks to all who have replied and offered opinions. Unfortunately getting a broodmare from a Repro vet has proven to be a bad decision :-( Our mare has has a uterine infection they estimate she has had for 3 years (since last foal) we have been treating it aggressively for quite a while now with no complete success. Sadly the vets are thinking she is sterile. Thousands of $ later, no foal, still treating and flushing. Been a sad learning experience.
Double R
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Bummer. That is disappointing. :(
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:57 pm

I am sure sorry to hear that!
0 x

Double R Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Double R Ranch » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:59 pm

Thanks. It's been more emotional than expected.
0 x

TnWI
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby TnWI » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:09 am

How awful for both you and the horse! Will she get better? And not to give you too much hope but vets only know what they know -- mother nature sometimes has other plans. Don't give up hope - maybe after the infection has cleared things will look more positive. In the mean time - start looking around - I have gone to auctions and seen some awesome bred "cowy" breed colts and fillies being sold for peanuts.
0 x
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

Double R Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Double R Ranch » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:00 pm

Thanks! There is an interesting turn of events. I got suspicious after another dirty culture. I took my maiden mare in and she cultured infected. I called my very old (doesn't breed horses anymore) vet and he said bring them both in next heat. I did, he cultured them both and they both came back clean! Absolutely no way they would have healed with no treatment and such a short amount of time. On top of that he said order semen they are both ready. So we did and my maiden came up pregnant and is still pregnant. Classy will have a biopsy done to determine if she's sterile. She did have to have a castlic put in due to the amount of times she was "entered" over the last 6 months for flushing, treating and breeding. As to how long she was ok we will never know. I have an idea since I insisted on being at every procedure. I know when clean fluids were returned. However now I know a biopsy should have been first and the vet I called for second and third opinions I now know they are friends of the vet so ofcourse they will speak highly of him and tell me to keep doing what he says to do :-(
0 x

TnWI
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby TnWI » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:15 pm

:shock: WOW! I will send a small prayer upstairs and hope Classy isn't sterile! I would have called the other vet and gave him/her a piece of my mind, or at least recommend that they retrain with the retired vet :D
0 x
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

Return to “Horse Talk!”