Need Help Finding a Good Stud to Breed To

All about horses.
chippie
GURU
GURU

Re: Need Help Finding a Good Stud to Breed To

Postby chippie » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:21 am

I prefer a horse with a little more muscle and one that ties in better at the neck than the palomino stallion spinandslide posted.
Bloodlines are a good indication of what the horse may be and do, but in my book, a stallion needs to be an outstanding individual in mind, ability and conformation to be worthy of reproducing. Horses can't read a pedigree.

form to function
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

spinandslide
GURU
GURU

Postby spinandslide » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:47 pm

Ah, but some horses lines are proven at producing the form which fits a certain function..and so bloodlines ARE something to be considered..espc. when buying a young prospect or breeding.

Bloodlines dont gurantee what you get..but IME, they make breeding less of a crapshoot...I'll put my hard earned money on time tested lines versus an oddball who defyed his lines..;)

The palomino I posted is, IMO, a potential choice if someone was looking for a reined cowhorse..conformationaly, temperment wise and bloodline wise, hes got it all..again, IMO. If I was looking for a cutter..I'd look at something else..if I was looking for a roping horse, I'd probably look somewhere else..why? because those disaplines have morphed into very different activities, with different attributes for horses who excel in those.

My line of thinking I guess..

If money was no object..not taking into account individual mares..

Id go to this stallion for reining (or depending on the mare, reined cowhorse)
http://www.bigchextocash.com/

I'd go to this stallion for cowhorse..(the sire of the palomino I posted)
http://www.manddperformancehorses.com/LoadPage.asp?iPage=83-54

or even to his sire
http://www.carolrose.com/ShiningSpark.html

Id go to this stallion for cutting
http://oswoodstallionstation.com/onetimepepto.htm
0 x
If you were a hotdog and were starving to death, would you eat yourself?

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:50 am

But if I was doing it for a living and had to do it all.....
And once upon a time I sat a saddle five or six hours every day....

I would go to those Hancocks I posted.

the show ring has a way of morphing things into unreality.....that has always been the problem with the show ring.

for example in cutting they want the show horse to mirror the "cow". they get all excited about big stops and spins....
In the real world you want the horse to dominate the animal and drive it to where you want it to go. not play ping pong with it.

My big grey mare cannot be pastured with cows cause she loves to chase em around for fun. Hard on fences....
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

spinandslide
GURU
GURU

Postby spinandslide » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:13 am

true..

Even if I worked on horseback, Id take something bred like my sorrel mare over a hancock..but again..personal preference. :)..I can drink my coffee and not spill a drop while she jogs out..

Alot of the real modern horses arent good for doing actual work..I agree 100%..had a rancher friend of mine come into a shining spark mare..he hated her..she holds her head to low he'd say..she was a product of her breeding..they are wanting those low heads, even in reining today..me personally, I dont like this trend..and why I like reined cowhorse the best out of all the disaplines..I think its one of the only ones thats held true to it's "roots"
0 x
If you were a hotdog and were starving to death, would you eat yourself?

wrightwayangus
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby wrightwayangus » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:15 am

I have trained some hancock horses when I was training in Texas. I thought they were good, but I have found other bloodlines that I like better. I am still looking, but I really appreciate ya ll sending me ideas. Keep them coming.
0 x
Wright Way Angus

www.wrightwayangus.com

Return to “Horse Talk!”