Horse slaughter

All about horses.
hooknline

Re: Horse slaughter

Postby hooknline » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:17 am

Man I can't wait to try some, it looks fantastic!
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:32 am

Apparently holly heifer is still here. If you click on her name it shows that she is a registered troll (oops excuse me), registered user.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:43 am

hooknline wrote:Man I can't wait to try some, it looks fantastic!

Dang that steak looks amazing. I don't know if there is any truth to it or not, but I have always heard the older a horse is the more tender it is. I have also heard donkey is better than horse. I want be trying either. Just things Ive heard.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

JSCATTLE
GURU
GURU

Postby JSCATTLE » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:45 am

holly heifer wrote:one more time- horses are companion animals not food animals. I see feedlots full of cattle, hogs, sheep , no horses. I see that we have a muti million dollar industry catoring to horses( catalogs for supplies, halters, show tack, show clothes,) fancy trailiers, trucks, seminars and trainers ( they are not cheap or free) :nod: Vet clinics geared only to horses, photograhers that are horses only, and the list is endless!!! Do you see this for cattle ? NO! sure there are show cattle and fit camps, but nothing like the horse end of it. :cboy: Always, there will be folks that breed for no reason, that dont care for their horses ( or their kids! :mad: ) I stand firm in my belief that the slaughter trade of horses is wrong and will do all I can to see it extinct. Call me wacko, bleeding heart, pony patrol or whatever. I take pride in my beliefs, as do a whole herd just like me! I must get busy, my old horse needs a pretty new blanket :banana:

The industry isn't geared toward horses . It's geared toward the people who are dumb enough to have a photo shoot for their horse . Wackos who spend every penny they earn on their horses . Oh And they are livestock . It's people like you who are what's wrong with this country . How about you let me do what I want with my property and you mind your own business instead of butting into mine . You're just like the anti gun people , the overly religious people , etc . If people would mind their on business and live and let live instead of trying to force your views on others this country would be a much better place .
0 x
God bless America .. 1/20/17 ..

highgrit
GURU
GURU

Postby highgrit » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:17 am

A liberal is full of hate, and they preach peace. Not very much marbling in that horse meat.
0 x
" not all muslims are terrorist, but all the terrorist were muslim "

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:40 am

i reckon when the beef runs out that horse would look pretty good. Wonder how a rack of horse ribs would cook up on the smoker?
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:58 am

I do like my horses - alot.
I probably would not have a problem eating horse if I didn't know the animal. It would depend on how it was cooked and what it looked like. Not a big fan of rare meat.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:28 pm

Red Bull Breeder wrote:i reckon when the beef runs out that horse would look pretty good. Wonder how a rack of horse ribs would cook up on the smoker?

One of my rodeo traveling partners went to Japan on a wild west tour in the early 70's. The year before there had been a tour that went to Europe and all the cowboys darn near starved. So part of the contract for this Japan tour said there would be steak available every evening for dinner. My partner said the steaks kept getting smaller and smaller, and tougher and tougher. Then one day he went to the cook tent and there were big juicy steaks. About the third day of these big juicy steaks and South Dakota cowboy sitting across the table from him said, "this is pretty good horse, isn't it?" My buddy said after his experience he prefers is beef medium rare and his horse mediun well.

I have eaten horse and it isn't bad. In fact better than lots of things I have eaten.
0 x

hooknline

Postby hooknline » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:38 pm

Maybe we should hook flounder and holly up. Tht would be a match made in heaven. Can you imagine the bse info flounder could make for horse meat too
0 x

B&M Farms
Rancher
Rancher

Postby B&M Farms » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:21 pm

Although I think horses are livestock, I don't put them in the same category as cattle. My son has never ridden a cow. My niece doesn't beg me to saddle a cow every time she come over. I can still remember what it was like. There are people that have never been around horses with strong feelings about horse slaughter and I don't think that will change.
I believe we need horse slaughter because I don't see an alternative for horses that are not wanted or are just nuts or dangerous. You can't find every horse a home.
Holly became defensive and didn't answer the questions because like everyone else, she doesn't have all the answers. She just knows how she feels about horses.
I have taken horses to the kill plant when we had one not far from here because the were old and no longer useful but I can understand how Holly feels. I just don't have a good alternative either.
0 x

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:11 pm

B&M Farms wrote:Although I think horses are livestock, I don't put them in the same category as cattle. My son has never ridden a cow. My niece doesn't beg me to saddle a cow every time she come over. I can still remember what it was like. There are people that have never been around horses with strong feelings about horse slaughter and I don't think that will change.
I believe we need horse slaughter because I don't see an alternative for horses that are not wanted or are just nuts or dangerous. You can't find every horse a home.
Holly became defensive and didn't answer the questions because like everyone else, she doesn't have all the answers. She just knows how she feels about horses.
I have taken horses to the kill plant when we had one not far from here because the were old and no longer useful but I can understand how Holly feels. I just don't have a good alternative either.

poor deprived kid. When I was real young and up the early teen age years I looked forward to working cows because we got to ride the new steers out of the shoot. nothing like an animal thats just had his nuts cut out to be be nice off.
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:00 pm

USDA Hit by Horse Slaughter Lawsuit From New Mexico Meat Company

http://westernfarmpress.com/government/horse-slaughter-suit-hits-usda-humane-society
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:13 pm

I know were i'll buy my horse meat if that guy wins.
0 x
Red Bull Breeder wrote:So Queenie works ok now?

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:18 pm

I hope that he does.
0 x

Thurliss
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Thurliss » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:40 am

some horses like the lituanian draft horse are raised almost exclusivley for slaughter and would have gone extinct if not for thier use as meat. though i would never eat horse, just as i won't eat pork after raising 2 pigs when i was nine years old, understand that there are people who enjoy pork, and horse. ( love to eat chickens, as they are minions of the devil). I would much rather have them killed in a local slaughter with USDA oversight than traveling hundereds or thoursand miles hungry, thirsty, and scard to slaughter in Mexico or Canada, can imagine what kind of oversight there is in Mexico. let alone the accidents that can happen such as some years ago when a load going to Canada fell through the floor on I-94 in Detroit - slaughter all over the highway. Back when there was slaughter more local i did make sure a horse went to slaughter, because he was so dangerous i was afraid some poor fool would buy him and get killed. With no local slaughter don't know what i would do with a killer horse like that now.
0 x

Return to “Horse Talk!”