Horse slaughter

All about horses.
LRTX1
GURU
GURU

Re: Horse slaughter

Postby LRTX1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:05 am

Killer horse? I am assuming you havent read holly heifers posts on this subject. They are "companion" animals. :) It is a shame what happens to some of these animals without the slaughter option. I still find it humorous that she wouldnt answer a simple question about the lesser of 2 evils. Lots of horses are being slowly starved to death without having a slaughter option.
0 x
Layne

Education is expensive, no matter where you get it.

Education is important but, cold beer is importanter.

LazyARanch
GURU
GURU

Postby LazyARanch » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:32 am

Do you think this guy was wishing the horse slaughter plants were open?? I'm pretty be nice sure he got stuck between a rock and a hard place!!! This is so very very sad....

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/a ... her_ID/40/

and just so I make myself clear on the subject, I SUPPORT legal horse slaughter. I am a horse-lover, rider, shower, and breeder from way back. I still own a very well bred stallion now closing in on 18 years of age, plus 10 other animals. ALL of them pasture ornaments. I no longer show, and no longer breed due to the crash in the horse market, plus the closing of slaughter plants. It took away the BASE price of a horse. We had an auction nearby last month, and many of the horses that went through didn't even get bid in at a dollar... A be nice DOLLAR!!
And before Ms Holly jumps on me about anything, I've been feeding and caring for a blind 26 yr old Appy mare that I raised. DO NOT go telling me that I don't have a heart for my animals. Oh and by the way? I carry a few extra pounds, I eat meat and dairy, I'm in my 50's and my heart and arteries are PERFECT. I love my horses but I am a REALIST, in addition to being a cattle rancher.
0 x
"If you want to know where your heart is, look where your mind goes when it wanders." Henri Frederic Amie
Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the M is silent...

Taurus
GURU
GURU

Postby Taurus » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:04 pm

I put down two horses last month :( Both are a team of Percheron draft geldings and both are 32 years old. One of them cannot get up and won't gain any weight on him...it's too painful to watch him suffering from his age. Unfortunately the ground is solid frozen for bury two 2,000lbs horses and we ended up bury them into cattle manure for now....another reason why I support horse slaughter.
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:38 pm

Put a bullet in his head and go on.
0 x

Taurus
GURU
GURU

Postby Taurus » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:49 pm

jedstivers wrote:Put a bullet in his head and go on.

Already did it last month....and shooting at the horses sure makes me so sick for a week. Even have to cover all red marks on the white snow ground. All because I can't find home for the old horses and I won't pay vet bills to just put them down.
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:11 pm

I'm sorry Taurus. It is never easy to let go, but you did the right thing. Kudos to you for thinking of the welfare of the horses rather than yourself. You were brave.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

Taurus
GURU
GURU

Postby Taurus » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:06 pm

chippie wrote:I'm sorry Taurus. It is never easy to let go, but you did the right thing. Kudos to you for thinking of the welfare of the horses rather than yourself. You were brave.

Thank you! In my opinion that no horse owner should put themselves in that situation where the horses are suffering...it's emotional roll coaster. On other hand, we are looking for a team of young Percherons to give them home in spring or summer when the calving season is over.
0 x

skeeter swatter
Rancher
Rancher

Postby skeeter swatter » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:15 pm

I would like to say that I've had horses my whole life and I like horses, but they have been on the human food chain much longer than they have been "companion" animals. That is true NATURAL HORSEMANSHIP.
0 x

Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:33 pm

I know the Yakama Indian Nation (they have abandoned the YAKIMA spelling) has huge issues with ferrel horses. When we drive to Portland, we go down through Yakima, and over Satus Pass, down to I-84, and we see hundreds of horses from the highway; there are hundreds and hundreds more in the hill country along that route.

My personal feeling on horse slaughter -- bring it back. Keeping an aging, crippled, or unuseable horse is not like keeping an old family dog.
0 x
I'm for shyts and giggles -- until I giggle and shyt!

kerley
GURU
GURU

Postby kerley » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 pm

chippie wrote:Horses are not companion animals and may the good Lord help all horses and their owners should our fine government determine that they are.
That would ruin the entire industry.

Holly,
You still did not answer the question of what to do with all of the unwanted horses?
I too am a horse owner and lover. The horses and donkeys that I own have been with us for years and years. Our oldest is 37 and have owned it since it was 4 months old.

Chippie, we own a gelding that will be fourty two years old in march 2013.
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:24 am

kerley, that is remarkable and so cool. Kudos to you for giving him a good life. How long has he been with you?

Our grand old man passed away last year. He knew it was time. He did not eat his breakfast, instead went to stand under his favorite tree. I found him several hours later. He laid down and went to sleep. We have half sister who will be 37 in June.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

alohacattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby alohacattle » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:57 am

Taurus wrote:

Already did it last month....and shooting at the horses sure makes me so sick for a week. Even have to cover all red marks on the white snow ground. All because I can't find home for the old horses and I won't pay vet bills to just put them down.

Thankfully you chose the gun route, so many yuppies choose to use sodium pentobarbital. Then that ends up in the dog food and vets are unable to properly use anesthesia to control pain during operations on the dogs.
0 x

Taurus
GURU
GURU

Postby Taurus » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:39 am

alohacattle wrote:
Taurus wrote:

Thankfully you chose the gun route, so many yuppies choose to use sodium pentobarbital. Then that ends up in the dog food and vets are unable to properly use anesthesia to control pain during operations on the dogs.

I am not very keen on using lethal injections on the horses. I always worried that if a predator or someone's pet comes and eat the horse that is full of lethal injections, then they got ill or die from eating the horse.
0 x

Taurus
GURU
GURU

Postby Taurus » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:41 pm

0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:24 pm

Just read Oklahoma passed a bill to restart horse slaughter. Takes effect November 1st. Is there a plant there to do it, and will the meat be inspected for export?
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Return to “Horse Talk!”