proud cut

All about horses.
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: proud cut

Postby TexasBred » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:47 am

What I know about horses wouldn't fill a thimble but why couldn't you go back in and remove the other seed and make something useful out of him??
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

cross_7
GURU
GURU

Postby cross_7 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:44 pm

TexasBred wrote:What I know about horses wouldn't fill a thimble but why couldn't you go back in and remove the other seed and make something useful out of him??

i've heard you could and you couldn't.
i really wanted to hear from milkmaid on this
0 x
She said you're ramblin' man
You ain't ever gonna change
You got a gypsy soul to blame
And you were born for leavin'

Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:32 pm

cross_7 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:What I know about horses wouldn't fill a thimble but why couldn't you go back in and remove the other seed and make something useful out of him??

cross_7 and TB, I won't belabor this point, but I think many of those on here that deal with horses or have good prior experience have given good advice. There is more wrong with that gelding/quasi-gelding than a surgery could fix. An extremely experienced horseman, willing to take risks, might be willing to mess with him. He's a bad wreck waiting to happen -- not an "accident" waiting to happen, because all the warning bells and whistles have already sounded. Unfortunately. :frowns:
0 x
I'm for shyts and giggles -- until I giggle and shyt!

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:48 pm

I'm still trying to get passed "went to look at the horse for the first time, no one around so I threw a halter on him and jumped on bareback". :shock: My understanding about proud cut is, proud cut is leaving a portion of the testicle when gelded. Horse testicles have a "cap" like attachment, leaving part of the "cap". A retained testicle is just that a monorchid (sp), nothing has been cut.

Alan
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:58 pm

Alan wrote:I'm still trying to get passed "went to look at the horse for the first time, no one around so I threw a halter on him and jumped on bareback". :shock: My understanding about proud cut is, proud cut is leaving a portion of the testicle when gelded. Horse testicles have a "cap" like attachment, leaving part of the "cap". A retained testicle is just that a monorchid (sp), nothing has been cut.

Alan

Alan, I never would have jumped on that not-known-to-me horse with just a halter and w/out an owner around either! You're sort of right about the rest of it. Could have been monorchid (most likely), or just a bad cut job.
0 x

cross_7
GURU
GURU

Postby cross_7 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:21 pm

Alan wrote:I'm still trying to get passed "went to look at the horse for the first time, no one around so I threw a halter on him and jumped on bareback". :shock: My understanding about proud cut is, proud cut is leaving a portion of the testicle when gelded. Horse testicles have a "cap" like attachment, leaving part of the "cap". A retained testicle is just that a monorchid (sp), nothing has been cut.

Alan

i had always thought the reason for a proud cut horse was to leave the horse with some vigor so not to end up with a lazy dead head.
i had heard they can in some instances still cover a mare, but i have read that not to be the case but the "want to"
is still there and they still produce testosterone like a stud without ability to release it.
from what i have read the epididymis is what was "missed" when castrated.
i have also heard with surgery it can be removed ???

i'm by no means a horsemen but my dad was the best i have ever known(horses & dogs-he had a gift) and i learned some growing up, but i think either you have it or you don't. i think you have to get in their head to be a true horsemen(buck brannaman)
i do know you have to have their respect and their focus/mind has to with you 100% and as long as his mind is else where i don't think i could correct him.
would surgery fix him? just don't know enough about it to say
0 x

Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:41 pm

Cross-7 -- A proud cut horse, in this day and age, is usually a badly done castration. Nobody wants those problems in search of "vigor." I have a dear friend, just down the road, who is a close personal friend of Buck Brannaman -- I've never met him (yet). But you're right, in that his head is probably not where you need it to be. Sounds like he's gotten away with crap, buffaloed some of his previous people, and surgery won't be the short fix. I commend you for thinking about taking him on -- for considering working with an otherwise maybe "disposable" horse. But . . . . Well, just BUT. Don't put yourself at risk.
0 x

cross_7
GURU
GURU

Postby cross_7 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:09 pm

Kathie in Thorp wrote:Cross-7 -- A proud cut horse, in this day and age, is usually a badly done castration. Nobody wants those problems in search of "vigor." I have a dear friend, just down the road, who is a close personal friend of Buck Brannaman -- I've never met him (yet). But you're right, in that his head is probably not where you need it to be. Sounds like he's gotten away with crap, buffaloed some of his previous people, and surgery won't be the short fix. I commend you for thinking about taking him on -- for considering working with an otherwise maybe "disposable" horse. But . . . . Well, just BUT. Don't put yourself at risk.

he was a ranch horse and i'd bet he didn't get away with much but i'd say they sold him because of his behavior.
the horse was sold to a lady as a horse for her children, she soon found out you couldn't have him around mares.
she had hired a trainer to train him and the trainer did more damage than good.
so i thought i could help her and the horse both.
what really surprised me was when i went to get on him he was trying to protect himself and i understand and repect that, but once i move out of "his space" he still had his ears back teeth bared and acted like he was going to paw me.
i grabbed the lead rope and gave it a tug and told him that was enough and he calmed down.
that is what sticks in my mind.
when the other horses came over to the fence i couldn't get his mind away from them and on me and he had no repect for me at all.
i don't think you can become the alpha in his mind and his physical probelms have to be corrected before you could do anything with him.
0 x

Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:48 pm

Well, I've said/cautioned all I can on this topic. And I notice no one else is chiming in, urging you to take on that sort of project. Just be careful.
0 x

cross_7
GURU
GURU

Postby cross_7 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:29 pm

any knucklehead can throw a leg over a horse but a horseman has a relationship with his horse.
i have posted this here before but if you just focus on the the horse and not the the other you can see the relationship/control he has with the horse and the trust the horse has for the rider.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4glo6LB ... re=related
0 x

hrstrader
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby hrstrader » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:41 am

There is no such thing as proud cut. A horse can have a retained testicle known as a cryptorchid or ridgling. Proud cut was a term used for a horse that had been cut too late in life, possibly used to breed a few mares and thn cut. Staggy would be another term for this. Yes you can have a retained testicle removed @ about 500. You can check with a ultrasound machine or through hormone challenge testing.
Now for me. Above was from wife, an equine vet. If I liked it, I'd try it if it was worth the money.
now
0 x
A few cows and a few horses. Work to enjoy them.

hrstrader
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby hrstrader » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:44 am

Stupid phone!
I'd rather get bucked off with no one around than with a crowd. Most everything I buy I jubust ride with a shipping halter and bareback. Sure I get cheated or educated sometimes but it usually works out.
0 x
A few cows and a few horses. Work to enjoy them.

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:13 pm

hrstrader wrote:Stupid phone!
I'd rather get bucked off with no one around than with a crowd. Most everything I buy I jubust ride with a shipping halter and bareback. Sure I get cheated or educated sometimes but it usually works out.

Trader, I took the time to actually do a google on proud cut, I stand corrected, you/your wife is correct, I'm wrong..... Again.

As far a stating you would rather jump on a unknown horse by yourself, bareback with just a halter is terrible advice. Now, you may be a NFR bareback rider, 22 yrs old, etc., who knows on the Internet. I have been in and out of horses for over 30 years and in the last 15 or so. Enough to know so many folks look at horses like dogs, "we have a special bond and they would never put me
in danger or hurt me." I'l catch some heat for this but :bs: :bs: :bs: any horse any day! But because so many folks do not have the experience you may have your thought on a halter, bareback and alone may leave someone laying in the dirt with a broken back, broken neck, broken arm..etc. 30+ years and I would never jump on a unknown horse with just a halter. when you see the horse for the first time arrange to meet the owner or trainer, should not be saddled, pet the horse, both to be friendly and to check if it has been warmed up prior to your arrival. Look at the eyes, the should appear clear and alert, not drugged. Then have the owner jump on, do they have to lunge the horse first, tire him out some? When you feel safe then get on. :2cents:

Just another opinion, and cross7 try to find another horse, lots of good ones out there cheap these days. Why buy someones else's problems.

Alan
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:24 pm

Kathie in Thorp wrote:
cross_7 wrote:

cross_7 and TB, I won't belabor this point, but I think many of those on here that deal with horses or have good prior experience have given good advice. There is more wrong with that gelding/quasi-gelding than a surgery could fix. An extremely experienced horseman, willing to take risks, might be willing to mess with him. He's a bad wreck waiting to happen -- not an "accident" waiting to happen, because all the warning bells and whistles have already sounded. Unfortunately. :frowns:

Then you're saying his attitude has nothing to do with him still having one testicle???
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

peg4x4
GURU
GURU

Postby peg4x4 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:55 pm

Did you watch "Buck"??
Ok,My :2cents: Do not buy/ride this horse. There are too many really good horses that may not have papers that can be bought for little or nothing. Heck,there are too many good horses with papers.. I don't like it,but sounds like this one belongs on a plate somewhere. :2cents: :deadhorse:
0 x
"In the Spring,I have counted 136 different kinds of weather in 24 hours."
Mark Twain,who must'a been in Texas at the time

Return to “Horse Talk!”