proud cut

All about horses.
milkmaid
GURU
GURU

Re: proud cut

Postby milkmaid » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:22 pm

Sounds like the issue is training rather than hormones. I've been around and ridden some studs that were really nice to handle. Having testicles is not a valid excuse for any horse to misbehave.

If he's a cryptorchid or part of the epididymus was not removed, surgery can be done... will probably cost you more than the horse is worth ($300 easily) but a cryptorchid can definitely be gelded. I had a colt like that done over Christmas break. I'd pass on the horse unless you really like a challenge and know you're a good enough horseman to make a decent horse out of him.

On a side note- I've seen quite a few horses upset about being ridden bareback (especially if they've never been ridden bareback before!) and I wouldn't consider a horse a problem because of it.
0 x
Basics needed to answer questions: age, weight, breed, sex. # affected vs # in group, feed type/amount, prior vaccinations, deworming, antibiotics, any recent changes....

More info = better answers.

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:42 pm

A entire stallion is not the same as a proud cut horse or cryptorchid. Training will not solve their problems.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

milkmaid
GURU
GURU

Postby milkmaid » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:47 pm

I rode a 3 y/o cryptorchid for a couple weeks over Christmas break; he came off the range the month before and he handled quiet. Wouldn't have ever known he was a stud. I still maintain that there's no excuse for bad behavior from any animal no matter how many or few testicles they have.
0 x
Basics needed to answer questions: age, weight, breed, sex. # affected vs # in group, feed type/amount, prior vaccinations, deworming, antibiotics, any recent changes....

More info = better answers.

cross_7
GURU
GURU

Postby cross_7 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:58 pm

milkmaid wrote:Sounds like the issue is training rather than hormones. I've been around and ridden some studs that were really nice to handle. Having testicles is not a valid excuse for any horse to misbehave.

If he's a cryptorchid or part of the epididymus was not removed, surgery can be done... will probably cost you more than the horse is worth ($300 easily) but a cryptorchid can definitely be gelded. I had a colt like that done over Christmas break. I'd pass on the horse unless you really like a challenge and know you're a good enough horseman to make a decent horse out of him.

On a side note- I've seen quite a few horses upset about being ridden bareback (especially if they've never been ridden bareback before!) and I wouldn't consider a horse a problem because of it.

thanks milkmaid
i think their biggest problem was jumping thru the stall feed window, then the two pipe fences and being completely unable to control him when a mare is close by.
i talked to the trainer on the phone that they hired to fix the problem and the trainer said he didn't like his "head pulled on" i never really understood that, but went on to say they had used a tie down and went from a curb bit to a snaffle.
the stable owner said the trainer did more damage than good and she had seen the trainer get mad yank back with both reins and nearly flipped him over backwards and would yank on his head and mouth.
he did sling his head head some when haltered him but after a while he did realize it wasn't working with me and quit.
i know i'm repeating myself but the biggest thing for me was the aggressive behavior towards me even after i backed off and gave him space he still acted aggressive, like he was going to bite and rear up and paw.
then when the other horses came to the fence, i was an obsticle and i think he would have run over me if i made him choose between stopping or running over me.
i'm not trying to tell you how tough i am but i was raised on ranches and ranch horses and rode bulls all over texas, nm & ok when i was younger and this horse kind of had me buffaloed.
i really wanted to help the lady that owned the horse and i really wanted to get that horse a way from the trianer, but i think the ranch that sold him because they couldn't straighten him out and if they couldn't then i didn't think i could.
they said proud cut but i guess he could have a retained testicle
whatever the problem is it causing him lots of trouble.
0 x
She said you're ramblin' man
You ain't ever gonna change
You got a gypsy soul to blame
And you were born for leavin'

spinandslide
GURU
GURU

Postby spinandslide » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:47 pm

cross

Ive been around horses most of my life..we've had foals to grown horses, all sexes..There is a difference in a lack of training or mis-handling..and out and out aggression..and based on your description, this horse is what Id call "mean"..hes not scared, hes a jackass..hes learned being mean get him what he wants.

Now, would he be a dream come true to someone? I imagine so..but not to me. The way the market is now, you can pick up a sane horse, probably almost as "good" as this horse "might" be for not a whole bunch..and not have to take out an additional policy in life insurance should he kill you.

A horse like this..balls or no balls..is going to require alot of work..and it could potentially be dangerous..
0 x
If you were a hotdog and were starving to death, would you eat yourself?

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:33 pm

If you take that deal in NM, buy him... Otherwise stay away.
There's nothing better in big, open, tough country than a horse that you really honestly hate. :nod: It's hard to get it done on the ones that you feel bad about punishing.
0 x

Return to “Horse Talk!”