Colonel Freckles

All about horses.
cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Colonel Freckles

Postby cow pollinater » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:11 pm

Has anyone dealt with Colonel Freckles blood much? I have a chance to buy a grey colt for a great price that has him on both sides but I've never been around them that I know of. What are they like?
0 x

cross_7
GURU
GURU

Re: Colonel Freckles

Postby cross_7 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:36 pm

cow pollinater wrote:Has anyone dealt with Colonel Freckles blood much? I have a chance to buy a grey colt for a great price that has him on both sides but I've never been around them that I know of. What are they like?

I have never owned one but from what i have heard is they are a old school cowboy horse, all business, tough as nails, no quit in them and super athletes
but again old school type horse that can be a little boogery, needs a job and gets fresh without steady work.
0 x
She said you're ramblin' man
You ain't ever gonna change
You got a gypsy soul to blame
And you were born for leavin'

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:01 pm

We used to have a freckles playboy stud. He was a fine specimen and his Colts were spectacular always brought top dollar and exactly how cross described
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:04 pm

Thank you both.
I think I'll pass. I like the Jackie B and Poco Bueno types. I can turn them out to pasture for awhile and have the same horse when I need them and they're good. I'm looking for a colt that my son can watch/help me start and have it be his second horse once they both get a few miles on them.
0 x

cross_7
GURU
GURU

Postby cross_7 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:35 pm

cow pollinater wrote:Thank you both.
I think I'll pass. I like the Jackie B and Poco Bueno types. I can turn them out to pasture for awhile and have the same horse when I need them and they're good. I'm looking for a colt that my son can watch/help me start and have it be his second horse once they both get a few miles on them.

I had a poco bueno horse back years ago.
He was about 14 hands and quick as lightning, but ill tempered.
If you used your spurs he kick at them, only hoses that every kicked me while i was in the saddle.
0 x
She said you're ramblin' man
You ain't ever gonna change
You got a gypsy soul to blame
And you were born for leavin'

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:19 pm

cross_7 wrote:
cow pollinater wrote:Thank you both.

I had a poco bueno horse back years ago.
He was about 14 hands and quick as lightning, but ill tempered.
If you used your spurs he kick at them, only hoses that every kicked me while i was in the saddle.

They can have an additude and they're SMART. I had a stud colt that was a friekin houdini... H'd untie any rope and then just stand there, unlatch gates-including snapped chains if the snap was big enough and then he's stand there and look at you like "see how smart I am?". He never went anywhere but he could get out of anything.
I also had a mare that had gotten spoiled as a two year old and then I got her... She would kick sideways when you saddled her so I started pulling my bridle off the saddle before I saddled her and spanking her a$$ with the reins if she pinned her ears and eight years later when I sold her I still had to saddle her that way. Never had any problem with the stuff that I taught her but the bad habits from the previous owner were there to stay.
The other five or so that I've had were all colts that I've had from weining or birth and they've been broke since day one.
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:14 am

I had one (a grandson of Col. Freckles) and he didn't work out for us. He didn't have the disposition to be a kid's horse.
I have found that many modern cutting bloodlines are a bit hot and aggressive, meaning that they are bred to have a job and want to do it. They need to be worked regularly. Not so forgiving to riders who make mistakes until they are aged and solid in their training.
One of our daughters worked as a loper for a nationally ranked cutting horse trainer. She was the lucky one who started the two year olds. It was enough to make her not want a cutting bred horse. Sure made a hand out of her though.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

rgypsyrose
Beginner
Beginner

Postby rgypsyrose » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:25 pm

If he is a good deal go check him out... last time I checked it usually takes more than one bloodline to make the horse. Do a lot of ground work push him hard and watch his reaction, if he fights you and has a hard eye pass. if he is soft and has a lot of try come back and look at him a second time then make your decision. I have seen a number with that bloodline and they were not all the same mentally of physically.

Just my :2cents:

Mary
0 x

Return to “Horse Talk!”