2 hot nails------2 different horses

All about horses.
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

2 hot nails------2 different horses

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:39 pm

Just blowing a little steam. I have two horse that came up lame after having shoes reset. I used to shoe a few horses. I realize how easy it is to quick one. This guy has shod for me for three years now. Never a problem, however I often notice he is a little sloppy. I had three horse done 2 came up lame. I suspicioned a hot nail on both. Pulled the shoes, two wet nails in one, and one in the other. I soaked their feet, and packed them. I took them to vet, for a complete lameness exam. I wanted to rule out everything else. They are my kids rodeo horses. One has came around quit a bit. The other I can tell no improvement in. Season starts middle of next month. I am going to be an unhappy camper, if I can't get theses feet straight by then. I am on a regular 8 week schedule with this guy. I know I NEVER want him to shoe for me again. I sure dread telling him why. He's a good guy, just not that great of a farrier.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

cross_7
GURU
GURU

Re: 2 hot nails------2 different horses

Postby cross_7 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:28 pm

I watched a Chris Cox program a while back and they were saying with proper foot care shoes are not necessary unless working in rough rocky ground.
I've wondered bout that for a while and I don't have shoes on mine but he very seldom works
I'd like to hear someone that has tried it
0 x
She said you're ramblin' man
You ain't ever gonna change
You got a gypsy soul to blame
And you were born for leavin'

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:36 pm

A horse thats not working probably just needs to be trimmed, with a pasture roll on it, they would probably be all right. To me a performance horse needs a shoe. Most rodeo grounds are gravel everywhere but the arena. No foot no horse. People are always quick to point out that Indians rode barefoot horses-----------When it went lame, they ate it, and found another one.
0 x

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:54 pm

I keep my "go to" horse shod but I trim the rest of them my self and that's good enough to get a days work out of them if I need it. One mare that I ride a couple times a month does great with no shoes ever and I do plenty of rock crawling on her. She's got good hard black feet. I like a barefoot horse on rock because they can hold on a little better and feel their way along a little better.
As far as your farrier, he needs to go and he needs to know why he's gone. If he's worth having it will make him better and if he's not it will either make him cheaper or make him go do something else with his life.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:23 pm

Yea he has to go. I called him last night. I was very nice about it, and he was apologetic. I thought he needed to know. One horse seems 100%, the other is still pretty bad. The barrel and pole horse is the one that has recovered. My son can rope off my horse if need be. We really need another back up horse. I was hoping to wait till they were ready for a scorcher, and let these little push horses be their backup.
0 x

milkmaid
GURU
GURU

Postby milkmaid » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:57 pm

I'd take the one that's not getting better to the vet and get some xrays done on that hoof, just to be on the safe side. There was an interesting article on The Horse recently about hot nails and some serious messes that resulted from that.

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/13752/ ... 01-30-2013

If you aren't a member you'll have to register (free), but it's worth a read - the mare ended up with a severe infection in the coffin bone and subsequent laminitis.

FWIW, I rode a barefoot-trimmed horse last summer for the first time (one that was trimmed by a "barefoot trimmer") and was actually pretty impressed. I had him (client horse) about a month and rode over a lot of rough terrain, lava rock, etc and his hooves didn't chip. I'm not completely sold on the barefoot fad but I don't complain about the owners' choices now. :P
0 x
Basics needed to answer questions: age, weight, breed, sex. # affected vs # in group, feed type/amount, prior vaccinations, deworming, antibiotics, any recent changes....

More info = better answers.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:05 pm

The on horse seems completely recovered. The other no improvement. I made a paste out of Epsom salt, alum, and icthamol. I packed it, and wrapped it good. I am afraid it's not draining like it should. Maybe that will draw it out.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:49 am

Now they are both limping again. I'm treating them like they had abcesses, but I see no outward sign. Vet has seen them. He recommends time and bute. Pretty much same diagnosis for every horse they see. Cows get LA 300 and time. I get bill in the mail.
0 x

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:19 pm

Bigfoot wrote:Now they are both limping again. I'm treating them like they had abcesses, but I see no outward sign. Vet has seen them. He recommends time and bute. Pretty much same diagnosis for every horse they see. Cows get LA 300 and time. I get bill in the mail.

Welcome to Jaded-ville, population at least 2.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:38 pm

Now I wonder if the hot nail is healed, and they are sore from being barefoot. Put em up-------all well. Turn em out--------sore. Maybe a shoe with a pad is the answer.

I took a second look at the shoes and nails that I pulled. The nails are huge. Inexcusably huge.

If it wasn't the kids horses, I wouldn't be worried. They really get along with them.
0 x

Isomade
GURU
GURU

Postby Isomade » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:00 pm

My horses haven't been shoed in 5 years. Even my daughters barrel horse runs barefoot. Im no horse expert, but I had no idea shoes were that big a deal unless you were in rocky ground or on pavement. Mine hardly ever leave the place though. Most of the folks I know run barefoot around here unless going on a trail ride.
0 x
The quickest way to lose money in the cattle business is to do it the way grandpa did it.....and the quickest way to lose everything in the cattle business it to forget the way grandpa did it. (Dad)

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:23 pm

When I was a kid, I could run barefoot on gravel. I was used to it. I've worn shoes so long my feet are tender. I could get them toughened up again, it would take some time. A horse the same way.

Usually it's a summertime warrior that has trouble with shoes. On all summer, off all winter. These horses have always had shoes. Admittedly shoes are not a necessity for many horses. These sometimes get ridden 7 days a week. My way of thinking is that if you are really using a horse, a shoe will save you more problems than it will create.-------------Enter exhibit A my farrier quicks two on the same day, uses a railroad spike for a nail. Creates a problem.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:22 pm

Ok. Here is how obsessed I get. I'm not convinced either horse is going to get better in time to spring rodeo. I ran out Saturday, and bought another barrel and pole horse for my daughter. I found a race for her to enter Sunday, just to test him. She was 3rd in the 1d on barrels, and 4th in poles. I'm going to let my son rope off my horse. I don't know if its my ignorance, or love that knows no boundaries.
0 x

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:23 pm

Bigfoot wrote:Ok. Here is how obsessed I get. I'm not convinced either horse is going to get better in time to spring rodeo. I ran out Saturday, and bought another barrel and pole horse for my daughter. I found a race for her to enter Sunday, just to test him. She was 3rd in the 1d on barrels, and 4th in poles. I'm going to let my son rope off my horse. I don't know if its my ignorance, or love that knows no boundaries.

If you're like me probably a little of both, :D
0 x
J & D Cattle

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:57 pm

There's always room for another one as long as they get used...But that's how it works, there's never enough horsepower when you're busy and the rest of the year you wonder why you have so many horses.
0 x

Return to “Horse Talk!”