Stirrups

All about horses.
chippie
GURU
GURU

Re: Stirrups

Postby chippie » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:19 pm

I have friends who have bad knees, the swivel leg savers make it possible for them to enjoy riding. Even in a saddle that is well broken in, the stirrup leathers can put stress on one's knees.

0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:45 pm

Just take a wood stake about three inches wide and twist your stirrups around to the back to mimic having your feet in them but at a more extreme angle and run the stake through them when you hang your saddle up and then they'll hang right when it's time to ride. Once they're hanging the way you want cut back to a small stick so that it doesn't twist them as hard. Once fully broken in, you shouldn't have to worry about it.
If you want to speed up the process, soak the crap out of all of the leather between the seat and stirrup with neatsfoot oil and then run the stick through.
0 x

heath
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby heath » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:32 pm

Here's a picture to show what he's talking about. any good saddle should already come with the stirrups turned. if I ever had a saddle of mine come back and they complained of their ankles hurting or knees I would have been embarrassed to no end, unless they were out of shape slobs.
:D
0 x

MistyMorning
GURU
GURU

Postby MistyMorning » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:37 pm

Thanks you guys and sorry again for the hijack. My problem is two bad knees and the desire to trail ride for 4-6 hours a day at times. My trail saddle is well worn in, it's really not the problem because after a couple hours ride I'm fine, it's just when I hit the long rides that I stove up something fierce.
0 x
I have long known it was part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth... ~ Bill Bryson

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:03 pm

Polinator's way is the way to go. Also take an inexpensive bath towell. Fold it till its 4 or 5 inches wide. Get it completely soaking wet, and wrap it around about where your ankles go. Let it set for 3 days with a stick in the stirrups. Also sit the saddle on a 35 gallon drum, up on blocks. The barrel will hold the fenders straight, like they were on a horse. I hang buckets full of water on the ends of the stick to weigh it all down.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:26 pm

heath wrote:Image
Here's a picture to show what he's talking about. any good saddle should already come with the stirrups turned. if I ever had a saddle of mine come back and they complained of their ankles hurting or knees I would have been embarrassed to no end, unless they were out of shape slobs.
:D

I like that saddle, perfect back for me. Did you make it?
0 x

heath
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby heath » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:39 pm

No I didn't build it. I bought it from the saddle making school I went to, not long after I had started. I was cowboying full time and was broke but needed a new saddle pretty bad. It had been ordered and never picked up. The instructor sold it to me for $450. After I finished school and had started in the saddle shop I worked at, I started going through it and redoing some things. I reworked the ground seat, jerked off the horn and swell cover and redid them, did a better braid on the skirts and rear jockeys, and built a set of half cover stirrups and also some taps. I meant to redo the cantle binding due to the poor stitch job, but never got around to it. I'd like to build a complete new one, but I cant justify it with as little as I ride now.
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:51 am

Setting the stirrups like cowpollinator showed will not help your knees. The swivels are forgiving, and do not keep your feet (legs) in one position. If you have bad knees, you will understand. The slightest bind that you might not even be aware of will have you in misery in a little while.

My friends who do the competitive trail rides like the wide endurance stirrups too.

I know that the die hards will say that they are a gimmick, but they serve their purpose and they do help a lot. I think that you will like how your legs will not hurt after being in the saddle for several hours. My friends who have had knee surgery love them and wouldn't be able to ride without them.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

MistyMorning
GURU
GURU

Postby MistyMorning » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:33 pm

chippie wrote:Setting the stirrups like cowpollinator showed will not help your knees. The swivels are forgiving, and do not keep your feet (legs) in one position. If you have bad knees, you will understand. The slightest bind that you might not even be aware of will have you in misery in a little while.

My friends who do the competitive trail rides like the wide endurance stirrups too.

I know that the die hards will say that they are a gimmick, but they serve their purpose and they do help a lot. I think that you will like how your legs will not hurt after being in the saddle for several hours. My friends who have had knee surgery love them and wouldn't be able to ride without them.

Thanks Chippie, sounds like your experiences or should I say your friend's experiences is what I'm talking about. I have a torn meniscus from a bad ski crash on one knee and the other knee I dislocated and tore the meniscus from yet another ski accident. I'm not doing surgery yet and I'm not giving up riding either!
0 x
I have long known it was part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth... ~ Bill Bryson

Isomade
GURU
GURU

Postby Isomade » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:07 pm

MistyMorning wrote:
chippie wrote:Setting the stirrups like cowpollinator showed will not help your knees. The swivels are forgiving, and do not keep your feet (legs) in one position. If you have bad knees, you will understand. The slightest bind that you might not even be aware of will have you in misery in a little while.

Thanks Chippie, sounds like your experiences or should I say your friend's experiences is what I'm talking about. I have a torn meniscus from a bad ski crash on one knee and the other knee I dislocated and tore the meniscus from yet another ski accident. I'm not doing surgery yet and I'm not giving up riding either!

Sounds like you should be giving up the skiing.
0 x
The quickest way to lose money in the cattle business is to do it the way grandpa did it.....and the quickest way to lose everything in the cattle business it to forget the way grandpa did it. (Dad)

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:47 am

That's what I was thinking.
0 x

MistyMorning
GURU
GURU

Postby MistyMorning » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:31 pm

Isomade wrote:Sounds like you should be giving up the skiing.

jedstivers wrote:That's what I was thinking.

Awww come on that sounds downright sensible!
0 x

Angus Cowman
GURU
GURU

Postby Angus Cowman » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:49 pm

Bigfoot wrote:I love the way an ox bow feels, they are just too dangerous to ride in.

rode oxbows for yrs and had some pretty bad wrecks and have never hung in one
I was in them all day 6 days a week for a few yrs and also have broke several colts in them and never had a problem

main thing with ANY stirrup is to make sure they FIT your boot alot of people ride them that are either to narrow or to short or both

CP
have you tried Olathe boots
I have had a couple pair made and they were pretty good boots for riding and wearing on the ground

My next pair will be a pair of Becks though
0 x
If they had to actually work with a Spade and Hoe versus electing them we would all be better off (Caustic Burno 2011)

cross_7
GURU
GURU

Postby cross_7 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:15 pm

Angus Cowman wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:I love the way an ox bow feels, they are just too dangerous to ride in.

rode oxbows for yrs and had some pretty bad wrecks and have never hung in one
I was in them all day 6 days a week for a few yrs and also have broke several colts in them and never had a problem

main thing with ANY stirrup is to make sure they FIT your boot alot of people ride them that are either to narrow or to short or both

CP
have you tried Olathe boots
I have had a couple pair made and they were pretty good boots for riding and wearing on the ground

My next pair will be a pair of Becks though

I've always ridden oxbows, I had an incident awhile back and got my boot heel thru the stirrup.
I don't know how cause I couldn't get thru if I tried but it dang sure happened
I switched to a roper stirrup and I'm not liking the ones I bought
If the bell bottoms ain't any better I going back to oxbows
0 x
She said you're ramblin' man
You ain't ever gonna change
You got a gypsy soul to blame
And you were born for leavin'

heath
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby heath » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:37 pm

I had almost the exact opposite experience with oxbows as AC. I rode oxbows throughout high school and college, but when I started cowboying full time, the oxbows didnt give enough support. I dont sit on my rear like a trail rider, I was mostly long trotting looking for cows, so I was standing in my stirrups most of the time. I switch to the wider bells and stuck with them. I never did the 4-6" bells, but the 2.5-3" have suited me well.
I rode anything from crepe sole to tony lama buckaroos, but mostly rode boots I had made. Just think the bells give a better platform than the oxbows.
0 x

Return to “Horse Talk!”