advice on older colt

All about horses.
User avatar
cypressfarms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3426
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:28 am
Location: New Roads, LA

Re: advice on older colt

Postby cypressfarms » Thu May 02, 2013 9:35 pm

I need to start over here I think. I'm not new to training horses, but because of health issues with my parents I have a much older than normal colt to train. I don't go for the "Arabians are hot" theory. They are different, but I've seen and had had Arabians as loyal as any horse. Yes, they are very intelligent. Now to this boy. He's been in my "Front" (right behind my house) pasture since he was born. He's always stayed in that same pasture with his mom, and except for a month long meeting session with a paint gelding of mine, his whole life has been the same routine. He has been exposed to everyone in my family, even the kids. He is used to having people around. He comes to the fence and calls when he sees me. He is NOT a wild horse that has never been around people. He is used to me walking/riding in the pasture and occasionaly giving him and mom some feed and has watched me halter and handle his mom many times. However, I've never had the time to spend with him yet, until now. He has never had "hands" on him, so I expected some shyness.

I got a long time friend to come over today, that has been breeding/training and showing Arabians since the '70's. He watched me and the colt for a while and immediately recommended a course of action. In his opinion, the colt trusts me, but in his 7 months has developed a comfort zone with us. Trying to touch/brush etc. is too close for comfort for the colt. In his opinion, there isn't an easy way to get the colt to surrender this comfort zone. He recommended I put the colt in the round pen and rope him. He thinks there is no magic way to get the colt haltered and start training him properly without first forcing the issue. I'm tending to agree with him. I was looking for a non-traumatic way to start training him; but without a haltered colt with a lead line, there will be no training. This weekend we shall see.

Oh, just for the record, here's a pic of the colt just before winter. He's starting to gray out some now; I expect him to be fully gray by maturity; possibly a flea bitten

Image
0 x
waiting for something really important to say

User avatar
3waycross
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14402
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:54 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: advice on older colt

Postby 3waycross » Thu May 02, 2013 11:16 pm

He is sure as heck worth the effort. I am not a big Arab fan but i like the heck out of that colt!
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5621
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:33 pm
Location: Eastern OK

Re: advice on older colt

Postby cow pollinater » Fri May 03, 2013 7:50 pm

If you have to rope him, try it with a soft rope on a front leg. You can take all of his power away without hurting him and he'll learn real quick that panic doesn't help as you can give him slack when he fights and then start over once he calms down.
Plus, they seem to be pretty slow to make the connection between having a leg caught and something happening by their head. In my experience they treat it like two separate problems.
0 x

User avatar
cypressfarms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3426
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:28 am
Location: New Roads, LA

Re: advice on older colt

Postby cypressfarms » Sat May 04, 2013 1:11 pm

cow pollinater wrote:If you have to rope him, try it with a soft rope on a front leg. You can take all of his power away without hurting him and he'll learn real quick that panic doesn't help as you can give him slack when he fights and then start over once he calms down.
Plus, they seem to be pretty slow to make the connection between having a leg caught and something happening by their head. In my experience they treat it like two separate problems.



Good idea CP.

I've also thought of roping/haltering him and tying him to my older (very calm) paint gelding. That paint will teach him a lot about "coming into pressure". Pulling against that bulldog of a horse won't work. Was going to try to start today, but with the recent rain the round pen is muddy, and I want all conditions optimum when I start with him.
0 x
waiting for something really important to say

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11103
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: advice on older colt

Postby Bigfoot » Sat May 04, 2013 3:20 pm

I guess I'm to rough. I'd run him down an ally and put a rope halter on him with a 15' lead braided to it. Turn him out and try to scratch him a little.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
cypressfarms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3426
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:28 am
Location: New Roads, LA

Re: advice on older colt

Postby cypressfarms » Sat May 04, 2013 3:34 pm

Bigfoot wrote:I guess I'm to rough. I'd run him down an ally and put a rope halter on him with a 15' lead braided to it. Turn him out and try to scratch him a little.



Hey bigfoot,

Thought of that one, but my cattle runway/corral is a LONG way from my front pasture where the colt is.... I'm going to have to rough house him to halter him, then the training will begin when he's stalled and figures out that he won't eat or drink without me; and seeing me is a good thing.
0 x
waiting for something really important to say

User avatar
cypressfarms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3426
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:28 am
Location: New Roads, LA

Re: advice on older colt

Postby cypressfarms » Sun May 05, 2013 7:45 pm

Well, the round pen was dry enough this afternoon.... so why wait.

I walked into the round pen and he followed, knowing I had a bucket of feed. Once he got in, I locked the gate and put the feed outside. I pulled the rope out and he got nervous quick. He was so nervous that I tried to rope his front hoof - as suggested before (thanks cow pollinator). Once I got the lasso around his front right hoof he showed his strength, but I quickly walked around him and his back left leg wrapped in the rope as well. It was way better than I could have hoped for. After just a couple of minutes of struggling, he faced me and let me walk up to him and touch his neck (still while roped). I put a halter on him and treated a couple of small cuts he sustained in the fight. But once he realized I was in control with the rope, he calmed down really quick. He stood quitely while I attached a lead rope to his halter (no pulling at this time - just wanted him to see it). I wormed him, and brushed him for a while. Then on my terms I pulled the rope off his leg and let him loose. He didn't run around in the round pen as expected but was very calm. I went back and hour later and rewarded him with sweet feed and carrots. He'll stay in the round pen for a couple of weeks now while I work with him. Here's a pic of the colt after he was dead slap wore out, and just standing calmly for me while I brushed him and had just put the halter on. I never dreamed it would take less than an hour!

Image
0 x
waiting for something really important to say

User avatar
Alan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9481
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 11:54 am
Location: NW Oregon

Re: advice on older colt

Postby Alan » Sun May 05, 2013 8:22 pm

cypressfarms wrote:Well, the round pen was dry enough this afternoon.... so why wait.

I walked into the round pen and he followed, knowing I had a bucket of feed. Once he got in, I locked the gate and put the feed outside. I pulled the rope out and he got nervous quick. He was so nervous that I tried to rope his front hoof - as suggested before (thanks cow pollinator). Once I got the lasso around his front right hoof he showed his strength, but I quickly walked around him and his back left leg wrapped in the rope as well. It was way better than I could have hoped for. After just a couple of minutes of struggling, he faced me and let me walk up to him and touch his neck (still while roped). I put a halter on him and treated a couple of small cuts he sustained in the fight. But once he realized I was in control with the rope, he calmed down really quick. He stood quitely while I attached a lead rope to his halter (no pulling at this time - just wanted him to see it). I wormed him, and brushed him for a while. Then on my terms I pulled the rope off his leg and let him loose. He didn't run around in the round pen as expected but was very calm. I went back and hour later and rewarded him with sweet feed and carrots. He'll stay in the round pen for a couple of weeks now while I work with him. Here's a pic of the colt after he was dead slap wore out, and just standing calmly for me while I brushed him and had just put the halter on. I never dreamed it would take less than an hour!

Image


Not to quote George W. but mission accomplished! Nice job, better done than most probably done it.
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

User avatar
chippie
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4549
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast

Re: advice on older colt

Postby chippie » Sun May 05, 2013 10:35 pm

Good job! He's a nice looking colt and sounds like he is a quick learner.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

User avatar
cypressfarms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3426
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:28 am
Location: New Roads, LA

Re: advice on older colt

Postby cypressfarms » Mon May 06, 2013 7:19 pm

chippie wrote:Good job! He's a nice looking colt and sounds like he is a quick learner.



I think he is Chippie;

Second day went out with feed, and he let me walk straight toward his shoulder with the brush in my hand, and I proceeded to brush him for about 15 minutes. I think this is a very smart colt. Tomorrow I'll try attaching the lead rope again and just let it hang while I brush. within a couple of weeks, he should be following me with the lead rope.....hopefully :)
0 x
waiting for something really important to say

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5621
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:33 pm
Location: Eastern OK

Re: advice on older colt

Postby cow pollinater » Mon May 06, 2013 8:04 pm

I'm glad that worked for you. :D
0 x


Return to “Horse Talk!”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests