All about horses.
cross_7
GURU
GURU

Bits

Postby cross_7 » Sun May 05, 2013 7:26 pm

I have a horse that I am riding in a bosal and looking to move to a bit
What are the thoughts on this bit.
I am needing a mild bit but a little more poll pressure and a tad bit more control

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... c0b4b8c5df

Better description
http://www.ridingwarehouse.com/Myler_HB ... PMB04.html
0 x
She said you're ramblin' man
You ain't ever gonna change
You got a gypsy soul to blame
And you were born for leavin'

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Re: Bits

Postby M5farm » Sun May 05, 2013 7:43 pm

If your riding with a bosal why not just move to a hackamore.
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

cross_7
GURU
GURU

Postby cross_7 » Sun May 05, 2013 7:49 pm

M5farm wrote:If your riding with a bosal why not just move to a hackamore.

I guess I don't know the difference
0 x

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Sun May 05, 2013 7:58 pm

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=hac ... ORM=IQFRBA
Cross7, hackamore is basically the same but it has a chain and no bit in the mouth. We have always had great success when a horse would get a hard mouth going to a hackamore. Only rode a bosal on dead broke horses that you could technically ride with hay string and halter
0 x

cross_7
GURU
GURU

Postby cross_7 » Sun May 05, 2013 8:02 pm

Thanks I'm not meaning to be rude but I don't know what that contraption is but it aint no hackamore
0 x

LazyARanch
GURU
GURU

Postby LazyARanch » Sun May 05, 2013 8:08 pm

cross_7 wrote:Thanks I'm not meaning to be rude but I don't know what that contraption is but it aint no hackamore

It's a mechanical hackamore... Don't know of any old-fashioned cowboys that would use them.
They work on a squeeze principal.

I rode with them many years ago but no longer. Some horses do work really well in them tho.
0 x
"If you want to know where your heart is, look where your mind goes when it wanders." Henri Frederic Amie
Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the M is silent...

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Sun May 05, 2013 8:10 pm

Must be regional thing a hackamore in my part of the world is mechanical and a bosal is well a bosal.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun May 05, 2013 8:40 pm

Before I ordered a Myler from a catalog, I would call the Mylers and get it straight from them. They will be able to help you a lot. To actually answer question, me personally I don't like a bosal or hack. If you can get them to flex at the poll with a small diameter snaffle your better off. Every time you change devices, its like starting over. The bit is actually for mules, but a Max Harsha bit will do what you are describing in an afternoon. Bob sells the same bit under his name, or atleast he used to.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

cross_7
GURU
GURU

Postby cross_7 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:04 pm

Bigfoot wrote:Before I ordered a Myler from a catalog, I would call the Mylers and get it straight from them. They will be able to help you a lot. To actually answer question, me personally I don't like a bosal or hack. If you can get them to flex at the poll with a small diameter snaffle your better off. Every time you change devices, its like starting over. The bit is actually for mules, but a Max Harsha bit will do what you are describing in an afternoon. Bob sells the same bit under his name, or atleast he used to.

Thanks Bigfoot
I like a bosal and may come back to it, but right now I think the comfort snaffle would work but I have never used one.
He rides perfect in the bosal but when driving cattle and we have one that tries to turn back, we have to lope over and herd it back he really gets after the cattle and I have to bump him several times to get his attention and get him stopped.
I sent dale myler an e-mail and he recommended a contraption with adjustments on the shank, some type of nose band and etc,
To be honest I am probably looking for a short cut since I just don't have the time to put the miles on him that it would require to get him where I want without going to a bit
I don't think it will take much, just something real mild.
The guy I bought him from rode him in a twisted wire snaffle and I am surprised he didn't ruin him.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun May 05, 2013 9:10 pm

The bit your describing is the one I'm talking about. It will make him soft fast.
0 x

cross_7
GURU
GURU

Postby cross_7 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:17 pm

Here is what he recommended
I wouldn't know how to ride him with that
0 x

cross_7
GURU
GURU

Postby cross_7 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:47 pm

I am not sure that this wouldn't be a better suited for what I need
http://www.ridingwarehouse.com/Myler_HB ... BMB33.html
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun May 05, 2013 9:48 pm

Start by tying the reins back to the d rings in your saddle. Not tight at all, just enough he has to flatten his face, and flex at the poll to relieve the pressure. Leave him in the round pen for about 15 to 20 minutes while he experiments with how to adjust his head to avoid pressure. Then get on and go. The more he tips the less you pull. Soon he'll be soft as butter. The lower you snap your reigns the more pressure you exert. Where its snapped where it is in the picture it works like a snaffle. I'm not big on gimmick bits. That thing is pretty fool proof to lighten a horse up. It's not what I reach for first, but it will get them there quick.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun May 05, 2013 9:50 pm

High port, short shank, broken bit-------always an excellent choice.
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Sun May 05, 2013 10:33 pm

Does he neck rein? If not, I would start him in a plain snaffle and teach him him to neck rein before going to a curb.

The bit in your picture is a modified gag gimmick bit that I've seen barrel racers use. If your horse responds to a bosal/hackamore, I wouldn't put that on him. It can be harsh.

I have the Myler bit that you showed. The shanks act independently and works well for lifting a horses shoulder, but it can be confusing to a horse that has never experienced a curb chain. My horse did not like it.

The bit that several of our horses work well in is the Classic Equine 6" shank, 1 inch port correction bit. It is not a harsh bit. It works well for our horses that are used to work cattle. They were started in a rope hackamore, then a plain snaffle, then the classic equine bit. The mare that our daughter shows uses it too, and she is a picky horse about bits.

http://www.nrsworld.com/classic/classic-6-stainless-cheek-round-correct-bit-2201

I don't really care for mechanical hackamores much. They will get a horse's head up. I prefer a horse to travel with a low or level head.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

Return to “Horse Talk!”