Bits

All about horses.
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Bits

Postby Bigfoot » Sun May 05, 2013 10:49 pm

I've got cattle and horses. Horses are my favorite, I can't deny that. Of everybody I know with cattle 95% of us do it the same way. Of everybody I know with horse, all of us do it a different way. I think that's part of what I like about it.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

cross_7
GURU
GURU

Postby cross_7 » Sun May 05, 2013 10:53 pm

He neck reins well but is a little stiff loping circles.
The biggest problem is like I mentioned before is when he gets after cattle and I rein him to stop he doesn't respond and I have to bump him pretty hard a time or two.
If I had the time I feel like I could straighten him out in the bosal so I think a mild bit and some poll pressure will get his attention.
0 x
She said you're ramblin' man
You ain't ever gonna change
You got a gypsy soul to blame
And you were born for leavin'

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Mon May 06, 2013 8:31 am

$100 is a lot to spend on a bit. You are paying for the name. There are several companies that make bits similar to Myler that are just as nice without the price.

Your horse may like this bit. It is the one that I use with my mare Chippie and my son's mare Foxy. It has a shorter shank than the Myler bit and has the same action. It is a well made bit and I am happy with how the horses work with it. The price is reasonable too. South Texas Tack is a family owned store. I love it.

http://www.southtexastack.com/product-p/15986.htm

Edited to add I think that it is a Francois Gauthier bit. The reining guy.

ETA: I don't mean to give unsolicited advice, but when you stop him, back him a couple of steps, and pause before moving forward. He may be traveling on his forehand while loping making it hard for him to get his hind legs under him to stop. If you have a pen with a board or cattle panel fence, you can fence him at any gait. Work on that at a walk, then jog and finally at a lope. That will help get him on his rear and stop too.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

cross_7
GURU
GURU

Postby cross_7 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:17 am

It's not that he can't stop, it's when he is after cattle and doesn't want to quit I really have to get his attention back on me
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Mon May 06, 2013 9:51 am

I understand. I would still work on Whoa means stop now, not two or three or more steps after I tell you.
Once you get him stopped, back him to get his focus back on what you are telling him to do. He should stop when you tell him to regardless what is on his head or mouth. If he tries to run through the hackamore/bosal, work on him to get his attention and make him back.
What type of hackamore are you using? If it is one similar to this, the bottom should come in contact with his jaw when you pull back.

0 x

cross_7
GURU
GURU

Postby cross_7 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:31 am

Yes, rawhide bosal covered with latigo leather and fiador to adjust how it hangs
Mostly it's just when in the heat of the moment he goes into chase mode when he gets after cattle and loses his focus on me
I'm thinking a bit for a little more control and some poll pressure to lower his head into the stop
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Mon May 06, 2013 11:38 am

try the last bit that I posted. I would work him several days to a week to get him used to it before trying him on cattle with it.

I have had good results using side pull for starting horses. You can see-saw it and get the nose a bit tender. That helps to get ones attention.
The bosal is used when they are shown.

Is this your grey horse? I like him very much.
0 x

cross_7
GURU
GURU

Postby cross_7 » Mon May 06, 2013 12:05 pm

Yes the one that has/had the stifle problem
0 x

cross_7
GURU
GURU

Postby cross_7 » Mon May 06, 2013 6:35 pm

Put 4 days in a row on him and it seems to be soaking in, but now it'll be a week or so before I can get back to him
0 x

Return to “Horse Talk!”