pinto horse

All about horses.
Alan
GURU
GURU

Re: pinto horse

Postby Alan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:18 am

Bigfoot wrote:TB,

I thought they rode app horses so they would be mad enough to fight when they got where they were going.

:lol: :lol: :lol: , there's much iron in your words.
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

suzorse
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby suzorse » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:52 pm

you will get chestnut, bays and maybe black, is the stallion a tobiano or overo,? are the mares solid or colored ?
if a stallion is a bay you will get all of the above colors, if black same and if chestnut/sorrel same other than you will get 100%
chestnut/sorrel out of chestnut/sorrel mares
Suzanne
0 x
long time member of Keeping a Family Cow
permitted raw milk dairy 006
Ginger the Jersey/Highlander/Angus/Hereford milk cow
Sweet Pea Jersey/Hereford milk cow
and the ever changing
bottle calves

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:05 am

I thought they rode app horses so they would be mad enough to fight when they got where they were going.

BF that may be the real reason. ;-)
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:33 pm

:lol: Having been on a few, I can honestly say you might just be on to something. :lol:
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:06 pm

I am not a fan of an Appaloosa. I would add to that, the two nicest horse that I have ever owned in my life were app horses. Both were willing to please, and very easy to put a handle on. I think the fact that they are unique draws a lot of first time horse owners to them, thus giving them an even worse name than they deserve

Pinto/paint/ and spotted saddle
Got really popular here a few years ago. There were some pretty trashy horses standing at stud in this area, and people were breeding to them like crazy. It kinda ruined the industry around where I live.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

JoyfulJerseys
Beginner
Beginner

Postby JoyfulJerseys » Thu May 15, 2014 3:08 am

It depends if the stallion is homozygous pinto (carries two pinto genes). Very basically, each horse carries two colour genes, and each parent contributes one gene to the foal. A horse can have a pinto coat but still carry one pinto and one solid gene, so if it gives the solid gene to the foal (assuming the other parent also gives a solid gene) the foal will be solid. On the other hand, if the horse has two pinto genes, it can only contribute pinto and the foal is guaranteed to be pinto. You can pull a few tail hairs and have them DNA tested if you're really keen on finding out.

Agreed that the pinto registries are usually very little good. It gets up my nose when people buy or breed horses based solely on colour. I have nothing against pintos; if it's a quality horse it could be pink and purple for all I care, but to me temperament and talent should come before colour (and even, to some extent, size and breed) every time.
0 x
Let them that love Thy name be joyful in Thee. Psalm 5:11

Return to “Horse Talk!”