13 month old colt.

All about horses.
Dylan Biggs
Rancher
Rancher

13 month old colt.

Postby Dylan Biggs » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:31 am

I like the way this colt is developing, looking forward to riding him. Sired by Caught a Wink and out of Hairpin Tigress of the Sea. It was raining out.

0 x

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Re: 13 month old colt.

Postby branguscowgirl » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:57 am

He does look like a nice one Dylan!
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

MistyMorning
GURU
GURU

Postby MistyMorning » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:28 am

Looks like a good ranch horse that could go all day. What have you done with him so far?
0 x
I have long known it was part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth... ~ Bill Bryson

LazyARanch
GURU
GURU

Postby LazyARanch » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:07 am

Good lookin' boy.... very mature look for a yearling. Should be able to cover some ground too!
0 x
"If you want to know where your heart is, look where your mind goes when it wanders." Henri Frederic Amie
Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the M is silent...

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:18 am

nice colt.....

despite what he turned out to be, I credit Jim Leachman with introducing me to good western Hancock and Blue Valentine horses...followed the Hairpin cavvy up till the collapse of the empire....
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Dylan Biggs
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dylan Biggs » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:28 am

branguscowgirl, that's what it looks like to me also, so far so good, a ways to go yet, but it's always nice when they are at least looking good. :)
MistyMorning, I haven't done a darn thing with him, I hate to say. I intend on getting him halter broke and some ground work done with him this summer.
LazyARanch, thats what we like to use here are the free moving ground covering type. The mare I am on below is the type I really enjoy riding, 15 one, a good whither, wants to go and cowy. :)

0 x

MistyMorning
GURU
GURU

Postby MistyMorning » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:54 pm

Keep us posted on his progress. I'm still debating whether or not to get a real young one to start myself or just leave that to the professionals! I have 2 older nags 18 and 20 who have been real good for me, trail riding only and have a few good years left. I like to read and hear about folks experiences training.
0 x
I have long known it was part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth... ~ Bill Bryson

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:23 pm

Dylan he sure looks like he can move. Great withers and plenty of muscle for a yearling. I love that pencil neck. Can't tell for sure from the pictures but he looks to be pretty straight.

Good luck with him..........he seems to have all the other tools cowy would sure be a bonus.
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:41 pm

congrats on a good looking horse. He looks like he has a tremendous shoulder and hip and I love his topline. I like him a lot. Looking forward to seeing more photos of him in the future.
I looked up his sire. He certainly is cow-bred. I tried to look up the dam, but there isn't a horse registered with that name.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

Dylan Biggs
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dylan Biggs » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:36 pm

[quote="chippie"]congrats on a good looking horse. He looks like he has a tremendous shoulder and hip and I love his topline. I like him a lot. Looking forward to seeing more photos of him in the future.
I looked up his sire. He certainly is cow-bred. I tried to look up the dam, but there isn't a horse registered with that name.[/quot
:)
The mare is in the process of being registered as we speak. Jim Leachman never paid the owners of the stallion for the service of the stallion. But that is getting looked after. The mares sire is Tiger of the Sea and her dam is Hairpin Eddies Topaz.
0 x

Dylan Biggs
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dylan Biggs » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:38 pm

3waycross wrote:Dylan he sure looks like he can move. Great withers and plenty of muscle for a yearling. I love that pencil neck. Can't tell for sure from the pictures but he looks to be pretty straight.

Good luck with him..........he seems to have all the other tools cowy would sure be a bonus.

Tahnk you for the kind remarks 3way, he is correct on his legs. He just seems like a very complete package for the kind of ranch horse I prefer. Time will tell. You are right about cowy being a bonus. He is definitely sheepy. Terrorizing ewes this winter head down on the ground cutting them out and chasing them all about. Little be nice! :)
0 x

Dylan Biggs
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dylan Biggs » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:40 pm

MistyMorning wrote:Keep us posted on his progress. I'm still debating whether or not to get a real young one to start myself or just leave that to the professionals! I have 2 older nags 18 and 20 who have been real good for me, trail riding only and have a few good years left. I like to read and hear about folks experiences training.

Worked him today a bit in a pen, got him facing up in about 20 minutes or so and he let me rub his cheek neck and shoulder on his left side. I called it good at that for today. :)
0 x

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:57 pm

Dylan keep posting pics as he progresses in his training! :D
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:02 am

I hope that everything goes smoothly in getting him registered. It is fortunate that both parents are DNA typed. That will make it much easier.
He really is well bred. I would be happy to save the AQHA pedigrees and performance records of his parents if you would like them
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

Dylan Biggs
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dylan Biggs » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:07 pm

chippie wrote:I hope that everything goes smoothly in getting him registered. It is fortunate that both parents are DNA typed. That will make it much easier.
He really is well bred. I would be happy to save the AQHA pedigrees and performance records of his parents if you would like them

Chippie thank you for your offer, much appreciated. The pedigrees I can find on line at all breeds pedigrees. The performance records I am not sure where to find, if you have a suggestion I would be greatful. I am an AQHA member and I have been working with La Donna at the AQHA office, she is sending me a dma test kit for the mare and she seems confident since I have made an agreement with Mrs Steyskal and all the supporting documents and id brands are correct.

Here is a pic of the mare.

0 x

Return to “Horse Talk!”