Financing horse stuff

All about horses.
Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Re: Financing horse stuff

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:27 pm

Angus Cowman wrote:I own a horse because I enjoy them but have never let a horse own me
Wish I had more time to use mine now but that is just how it goes. And no TB I didn't take offense :lol:

Right there is the problem, people allow the horse to own them! When the market was good, we kept a QH stud and bred mares. When the slaughter houses closed, I saw the writing on the wall and quickly changed my stock from horses to cattle, and never looked back! Gelded the stud and traded him for some work on our new home, sold all the foals, and kept just a few mares that were descendants of the first mare I ever owned (at 10).
Got one of 5 leaving for Arizona in two weeks (gave her to one of my old high school students), and would like to drop one or two more and I would be happy. All they do is eat hay and ruin pasture. We do ride some, but our place is too small to justify saddling up a horse to bring the cows in. So they are pasture ornaments, confined to a 5 acre pasture that is the worst on my land (because of them). They have great pedigrees, but that does not matter if they are not used in some capacity.
This mare is a Playgun granddaughter. The palomino mare on the left is the one going to AZ in two weeks.
The girls playing with the cows... bringing them up from the back pasture

The palomino paint mare my daughter is riding (19 years old) is the dam to the two paint mares (in the top pic, 9 and 10 years old) and the black mare my other daughter is riding (20 years) is the dam to the grey mare above (7 years old). So they have been around a long time! I am hoping when the oldest daughter is done with college, she takes her two horses with her (the black and grey mare).
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:04 pm

They ruin grass, ain't no doubt about that. I rotate mine, before they can kill it. I see alot of pasture ornament horses in my travels. I wonder of all the horses in the United States, what percentage are ridden with some degree of regularity. My son and I were talking about this subject over the weekend.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

John SD
GURU
GURU

Postby John SD » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:43 pm

Bigfoot wrote: I wonder of all the horses in the United States, what percentage are ridden with some degree of regularity. My son and I were talking about this subject over the weekend.

The neighbor lady had one old mare that was broke to ride. A very good cowhorse. But the lady couldn't get on a horse anymore and the old mare (Angel Baby) had a big rupture the size of a basketball.

In this case, 1 out of 400 with even that 1 being disqualifed sure brings down the percentage :bang:
0 x
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness
copyright July 4, 1776

Smile and do something nice for a liberal today. It will drive them nuts!

highgrit
GURU
GURU

Postby highgrit » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:07 pm

My wife was a horse person at one time. And when I was young and wanting to be a cowboy I had a couple of horses. But now we just don't have the time to waste on a horse. At one time my daughter wanted a horse, so I sent her to a riding instructor. She would be one of the last student's for the day. And it didn't even take her 2 weeks before she new horses weren't for her.
If we're ever blessed with grandkids, you never know what might be in our pastures.
0 x
" not all muslims are terrorist, but all the terrorist were muslim "

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:21 pm

Angus Cowman wrote:
TexasBred wrote:If you're a good cowboy or horse lover don't be offended but there is a large group of these folks that give the really good ones a really big black eye. Seems the only ones I've ever know were also those that had to have the best of everything, truck, trailer, horses, tack, beer cooler, hat, boots etc. and had absolutely no idea how they would ever get any of it completely paid for....and probably never worried about it. Wouldn't buy a $800 horse from you but price the same horse at $1800 and they would buy it in a heartbeat. Most do have jobs of some form or fashion doing something 5 days a week but usually stay just one step ahead of the bill collectors.

When one would walk in the door of the bank with the big hat, fancy boots, long sleeve shirt year round, laundered jeans, wallet always in his front pocket and Skoal can imprint on the back pocket the red light went off in every office.

Then there were the good ones....hard workers, give you the shirt of their back, let their own problems sit while they help you with yours and never expect a thing in return.

I take offense to this statement I wear a long sleeve shirt yr round, my copenhagen can is in my front shirt pocket, my jeans are starched and have been since I was 12, i dont own a $800 or $1800 horse, but I do own a horse but he cost a little more than that, I have carried my wallet in my front pocket for yrs either there or on the dash of my truck , haven't been able to stand anything in my back pocket for as long as I remember, i drive a 12 model truck the wife drives a dually cause I have had a dually almost as long as I have been driving ( my first truck was a dually before anyone had Duallies but construction workers) I dont own a horse trailer sold my last one yrs ago sold my last stock trailer 4 yrs ago now I use the bosses 1973 gooseneck stock trailer
I used horses to make my living for several yrs and have used them to play longer than that
I own a horse because I enjoy them but have never let a horse own me
Wish I had more time to use mine now but that is just how it goes. And no TB I didn't take offense :lol:

I have a 800 dollar horse and he's a dang good one but he sure is ugly.
The gooseneck AC is talking about rolled out of Bryan TX in Jan of 74.
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:36 pm

Bigfoot wrote:They ruin grass, ain't no doubt about that. I rotate mine, before they can kill it. I see alot of pasture ornament horses in my travels. I wonder of all the horses in the United States, what percentage are ridden with some degree of regularity. My son and I were talking about this subject over the weekend.

I tried to rotate mine with the cattle, but they would chase and bite the cattle, so that ended pretty quickly. When we move the cattle off a section, we remove the temporary wires... to place them in the next area to be grazed, so the horses have to stay in their own field because I do not want them chasing my cows nor do I want them taking the good grass too short.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:14 pm

Also if you have to finance toys you can't afford them. I bet I was 25 or 30 before I knew that people did such a thing. If it wasn't something for work and I couldn't afford it then I wasn't going to buy it.
Now as far as financing work stuff that's different, I'm loaded up on that.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:34 pm

I just think that buying an old tractor is a better investment as a lawn ornament than a horse.. you can get one that's broken down to begin with so you don't have to put in the work of breaking it!

We're still dealing with the aftermath of 25 Percheron horses roaming on our place unchecked for years, the compacted the bejesus out of the fields, some places with very nice soil still refuse to grow... And we've been at it for 25 years already.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:27 pm

Bigfoot wrote:They ruin grass, ain't no doubt about that. I rotate mine, before they can kill it. I see alot of pasture ornament horses in my travels. I wonder of all the horses in the United States, what percentage are ridden with some degree of regularity. My son and I were talking about this subject over the weekend.

BF having been involved with all types of livestock over the years from a nutritional standpoint, I can assure you that probably at least 90% of all the horses in the country need nothing but some grass or hay along with water and some loving. But we think we have to load them up on $20 a bag horse feed with tons of calories in it...they eat it and go lay down under a tree and dose all day....what I call literally "loving them to death".

BTW AC what gives with carrying the wallet in the front pocket?? Don't want to mess up the look of that cute little "bootie'?? :lol2: :lol2: :mrgreen:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

highgrit
GURU
GURU

Postby highgrit » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:36 pm

I carry mine in my front pocket also. I do it so my wallet doesn't put pressure on my back.
0 x
" not all muslims are terrorist, but all the terrorist were muslim "

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:41 pm

TexasBred wrote:
BTW AC what gives with carrying the wallet in the front pocket?? Don't want to mess up the look of that cute little "bootie'?? :lol2: :lol2: :mrgreen:

Go spend a few weeks at a time in the saddle. The wallet in the back pocket is the first thing that goes and underwear is the next. :lol:
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:51 pm

cow pollinater wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

Go spend a few weeks at a time in the saddle. The wallet in the back pocket is the first thing that goes and underwear is the next. :lol:

I don't even carry a wallet anymore. Haven't in 20 years or more. I have a little money clip that has a place for cards and keep that in my front pocket. To many years driving.
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:01 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
Angus Cowman wrote:I own a horse because I enjoy them but have never let a horse own me

Right there is the problem, people allow the horse to own them! When the market was good, we kept a QH stud and bred mares. When the slaughter houses closed, I saw the writing on the wall and quickly changed my stock from horses to cattle, and never looked back! Gelded the stud and traded him for some work on our new home, sold all the foals, and kept just a few mares that were descendants of the first mare I ever owned (at 10).
Got one of 5 leaving for Arizona in two weeks (gave her to one of my old high school students), and would like to drop one or two more and I would be happy. All they do is eat hay and ruin pasture. We do ride some, but our place is too small to justify saddling up a horse to bring the cows in. So they are pasture ornaments, confined to a 5 acre pasture that is the worst on my land (because of them). They have great pedigrees, but that does not matter if they are not used in some capacity.
This mare is a Playgun granddaughter. The palomino mare on the left is the one going to AZ in two weeks.
The girls playing with the cows... bringing them up from the back pasture

The palomino paint mare my daughter is riding (19 years old) is the dam to the two paint mares (in the top pic, 9 and 10 years old) and the black mare my other daughter is riding (20 years) is the dam to the grey mare above (7 years old). So they have been around a long time! I am hoping when the oldest daughter is done with college, she takes her two horses with her (the black and grey mare).

That Gray mare is sharp as she can be. I like gray horses.
0 x

John SD
GURU
GURU

Postby John SD » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:41 am

I guess I don't understand the concept of carrying a wallet while you're out riding a horse all day :idea: :?: :???:

You're miles from a place where you would need or could use a wallet anyway :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness
copyright July 4, 1776

Smile and do something nice for a liberal today. It will drive them nuts!

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:43 am

John SD wrote:I guess I don't understand the concept of carrying a wallet while you're out riding a horse all day :idea: :?: :???:

You're miles from a place where you would need or could use a wallet anyway :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Always good to have an ID on you even when you are alone in the woods. ID the body if nothing else.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Return to “Horse Talk!”