Next bull choice

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Next bull choice

Postby Nesikep » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:45 am

I'm talking with my nearest Gelbvieh breeder, I've seen their animals a number of times, nice, docile, laid back... I need a heifer bull, Hector will take care of a lot of the older cows that can handle his physical size and higher BW's...
They have one bull, $3600 CAD (2900 USD), he was from a 15 year old cow, so she might not milk quite as well as she once did, but has made many good bulls for them in the past, this guy also didn't like grain, so his post weaning gain on paper doesn't look great compared to his herd mates, 83 lb birthweight, 715 @ 8 months, 950 @ 1 year..

I will have to see him in person and see if he looks the part and deserves to be a bull, but since he'll only have like 6-8 cows to breed this year, would you consider him anyhow? He does come with a BSE pass guarantee
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Re: Next bull choice

Postby gizmom » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:22 am

Nesi

I would look at the cows past performance, I can buy that the calf didn’t get as much milk from a 15 year old cow but don’t buy that he doesn’t like grain. I bet he got pushed away from the bunk by the bigger calves. Longevity is a valuable trait so if the cows production was stronger in the past and you see that the decline in performance is age driven he may be a diamond in the rough.

Gizmom
2 x
Respect give it to get it!

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:36 am

Seems like a lot of money for a gamble type bull.
0 x

cattleman99
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cattleman99 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:26 am

In Canada I would consider that price cheap.
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:30 am

There's no way it pays to get a bull for 6 or 8 cows.
2 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:52 am

The new bull will also be Hector's future replacement.
Price does seem a bit stiff given herd mate comparison. For me cows that came with excuses have disappointed,
so I'd be wary of bull with excuses for lagging herd mates and request a discount because of it, but it's your money.
3 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:44 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:There's no way it pays to get a bull for 6 or 8 cows.

He'll get more, just not right away

Here's his registry page, hope it works
https://cdgv.digitalbeef.com/modules.ph ... CDGV163169

Here's another
https://cdgv.digitalbeef.com/modules.ph ... CDGV163185

And another
https://cdgv.digitalbeef.com/modules.ph ... CDGV163170

They all have good CED and BW which is an area I have to work on in my herd
0 x
-Christopher Hitchens

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher

Postby frieghttrain » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:35 pm

First I know very little of Gelbvieh but here's my 2 cents worth. The second one is my favorite then the third then the first, go look at them. :2cents: this was based purely of of epds
0 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:32 pm

Our first Gelbvieh bull was off of a nice 14 year old Gelbvieh cow. She lived to be 18 and always was one of the first 3 to breed back. The bull we have of hers is still going strong and has given us some real nice heifers with plenty of milk. Neighbors that have bought heifers are happy with them also. IMO 950# at a year wouldn't turn me off too much. Good luck.
1 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:59 pm

Like others have stated I would look at him. I know many times calves off of older cows that are in their twilight years will be behind some and often are the bargains. I passed up one a year ago I still wish I had bought. Many times if the groceries are a little short an older cows milk production can drop some.
2 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:07 am

I know with my old cow Rosie, she did pretty good in her old years, but I also saw the difference just a little bit of grain did in her last year...
I know at this place the cows get no special treatment, they are well fed, and the summers are spent out on the range.

Some cattle just don't like grain, or they won't like it for a few years, then like it, then not.. The cow I'm milking loved grain last year as a heifer.. won't touch it now.. I dunno why
0 x
-Christopher Hitchens

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:34 am

Nesikep wrote:I know with my old cow Rosie, she did pretty good in her old years, but I also saw the difference just a little bit of grain did in her last year...
I know at this place the cows get no special treatment, they are well fed, and the summers are spent out on the range.

Some cattle just don't like grain, or they won't like it for a few years, then like it, then not.. The cow I'm milking loved grain last year as a heifer.. won't touch it now.. I dunno why

Nesi back when I was a teenager we had two real good show prospects and neither would ever eat grain well. One steer and one heifer. The heifer made a great cow and never had any issues with her calves. We tried everything with both of them. It is like people some like everything and some are very picky eaters. I tried extra molasses ect. When you have a pen full of animals sometimes it is hard to tell how much an individual is eating. When you are feeding each separately it is easier to telll what they consume.
0 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:07 am

Remember the bell curve distribution. Individuals end up on either end no matter how well you breed/select. If they are true outliers then you will wish to goodness that you had never used them. Words of experience, I hate to admit. But I am educated now!
2 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:48 pm

A friend of mine only breeds for extremes with easy fleshing ... he figures that is tightly related to fertility and hormonal balance.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:23 pm

Ebenezer wrote:Remember the bell curve distribution. Individuals end up on either end no matter how well you breed/select. If they are true outliers then you will wish to goodness that you had never used them. Words of experience, I hate to admit. But I am educated now!

Do you dislike the outliers on heifers as much as on bulls? I don't like heifers that grow only vertically, they tend to turn into hard doing cows that look like coat racks, but I've had a few now that are definitely on the right end of the bell curve for meatiness and width, and pack a lot of weight without being big giants.. I kinda like that.. They have the look that makes you want to cut a steak out of them.. and they wouldn't miss it

0 x
-Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Breeds Board”