Why are Hereford bulls overlooked?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Why are Hereford bulls overlooked?

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:51 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:I am not opposed to a Hereford bull the Angus are readily available every where i go.

Can't go for a tank of gas, without passing several herds of angus....

Very true... We had Herefords growing up and they are pretty fair tempered and I swear they don't eat as much as angus and maintain a good conditioning.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:19 pm

mrvictordomino wrote:Was wondering what bloodlines are causing the calving issues in the Hereford bulls mentioned in this thread if your willing to share.

Danny I was wondering the same thing. Also what are the BW's? I ask because some breeders have chased the low BW selection to where the females by these bulls can't have an 80 lb calf. The bull we recently purchased had an 85 lb actual BW. His CE is high but it doesn't bother me. If a cow of mine can't have an 85 lb calf I will cull her. So curious what bloodline are involved and what the actual weights are.
0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:19 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
Very true... We had Herefords growing up and they are pretty fair tempered and I swear they don't eat as much as angus and maintain a good conditioning.

Hereford cattle were developed to be efficient, so it makes sense that they do not eat as much as most other cattle breeds.

"These early Hereford breeders moulded their cattle with the idea in mind of a high yield of beef and efficiency of production, and so firmly fixed these characteristics that they remain today as outstanding characteristics of the breed."
http://www.thecattlesite.com/breeds/beef/14/hereford/
0 x

mrvictordomino
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby mrvictordomino » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:58 pm

elkwc wrote:
mrvictordomino wrote:Was wondering what bloodlines are causing the calving issues in the Hereford bulls mentioned in this thread if your willing to share.

Danny I was wondering the same thing. Also what are the BW's? I ask because some breeders have chased the low BW selection to where the females by these bulls can't have an 80 lb calf. The bull we recently purchased had an 85 lb actual BW. His CE is high but it doesn't bother me. If a cow of mine can't have an 85 lb calf I will cull her. So curious what bloodline are involved and what the actual weights are.

Is it truly BW causing the issues? Or the selection of small BW by other breeds like you mentioned. All bulls used here come up through the ranks breeding heifers before moved to the mature cow herd. No single sire line designated for heifers only.
The only thing I have maintained over the years is to never use any extremes whether it is BW or any other trait. By doing this for many generations the extreme swings are eliminated and consistency is improved. I can almost guarantee calving ease from my side of the equation....Now what they are bred to is another matter.
0 x
www.jmsvictordomino.com

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:29 pm

SPH wrote:We used Revolution 4R and On Target 936 quite a bit recently and those 2 bulls probably have made more of an impact on our herd than any bulls we have ever used. Both are good for calving ease, their daughters have nice udders and their calves usually are some of the best in our recent calf crops.

'What is your semen source?
0 x
Stocker Steve

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:31 pm

Could also calf shape be causing calving issues in heifers and smaller cows? Seems like there are quite a few hereford bulls out there with calves that are more blocky shaped, while some other breeds you will see more rounded, cylinder shaped calves. IMO
Judging a bulls phenotype is pretty important when selecting for calving ease. There are some out there that could have 100# BW, and a heifer could squirt that sucker out like a sausage link. While others a 70# BW, and it can be like trying to push a football through a straw.
1 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:32 pm

SPH wrote:
Tbrake wrote:What are some Hereford bulls to use to make females on angus cows? Must be polled, and still want some decent growth. I have a few victor 719t in production, and they seem to be doing very well.

719T is a bull I have never warmed up to. I know some guys just love his females but I have never been impressed with progeny of his that I have seen in person and I know of 1 long time Hereford guy that feeds out a lot of steers that steered us away from using him after having some poor results with the steers sired by him. The large commercial operation just down the road from us that has mostly black cows did some AI to 719T and Revolution 4R 1 year as their herdsman is our AI tech and is co-owner in a Hereford partnership too and he was basically trying to give away the last of their 719T semen.

We used Revolution 4R and On Target 936 quite a bit recently and those 2 bulls probably have made more of an impact on our herd than any bulls we have ever used. Both are good for calving ease, their daughters have nice udders and their calves usually are some of the best in our recent calf crops.

Thank your for the reply. I’m having a hard time finding those 2 bulls. Who carries them?
0 x

SPH
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SPH » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:45 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
SPH wrote:We used Revolution 4R and On Target 936 quite a bit recently and those 2 bulls probably have made more of an impact on our herd than any bulls we have ever used. Both are good for calving ease, their daughters have nice udders and their calves usually are some of the best in our recent calf crops.

'What is your semen source?

Typically we buy directly from the breeder if we can and have it shipped but if it's a bull that is collected and sold exclusively through a sire stud we'll buy through them as well. Revolution was sold through Genex but the semen on him is starting to get harder to find now that he's dead but 936 you have to buy directly from Rausch Herefords. We're fortunate enough to live about 20 minutes away from Hawkeye Breeders so we usually just have semen shipped directly there and have them add it to what we have in storage there until our tech needs to get it out when we do our AI breeding. We actually just bought some semen on a bull from Accelerated Genetics last week and had it shipped to Hawkeye as well as we took our 2 herd bulls there to have them checked for the breeding season and had the older of the 2 collected as this probably will be the last year we use him in the pasture but want to keep semen on him to use in the future.
0 x

SPH
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SPH » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:58 pm

Tbrake wrote:
SPH wrote:
Tbrake wrote:What are some Hereford bulls to use to make females on angus cows? Must be polled, and still want some decent growth. I have a few victor 719t in production, and they seem to be doing very well.

719T is a bull I have never warmed up to. I know some guys just love his females but I have never been impressed with progeny of his that I have seen in person and I know of 1 long time Hereford guy that feeds out a lot of steers that steered us away from using him after having some poor results with the steers sired by him. The large commercial operation just down the road from us that has mostly black cows did some AI to 719T and Revolution 4R 1 year as their herdsman is our AI tech and is co-owner in a Hereford partnership too and he was basically trying to give away the last of their 719T semen.

We used Revolution 4R and On Target 936 quite a bit recently and those 2 bulls probably have made more of an impact on our herd than any bulls we have ever used. Both are good for calving ease, their daughters have nice udders and their calves usually are some of the best in our recent calf crops.

Thank your for the reply. I’m having a hard time finding those 2 bulls. Who carries them?

Revolution is getting harder to find and more expensive too. Reed Enterprises may still have some as they seem to have semen on some hard to find bulls otherwise I sometimes see people offering packages on online sales or auctions. 936 should be pretty easy to get still, I believe he's still working the pastures at Rausch Herefords and they probably have plenty on inventory. Like most bulls you can probably just do a search on Google to find someone that has semen for sale on them or call up one of the owners of a bull and ask how you can buy some. We actually used up our last straw of Revolution last summer and got a nice bull calf out of it this year but we also own in-herd semen rights on a Revolution son we bred and sold to another breeder that we still use on a limited basis too.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:52 am

Bullitt wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

Hereford cattle were developed to be efficient, so it makes sense that they do not eat as much as most other cattle breeds.

"These early Hereford breeders moulded their cattle with the idea in mind of a high yield of beef and efficiency of production, and so firmly fixed these characteristics that they remain today as outstanding characteristics of the breed."
http://www.thecattlesite.com/breeds/beef/14/hereford/

Gotcha thanks
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Return to “Breeds Board”