Calving, 2018

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Calving, 2018

Postby Nesikep » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:15 am

Sucks to lose a heifer.. glad you got the calf grafted with what seems to be minimal fuss... I lost a good cow 3 weeks ago, her orphan has 3 mommas.. The heifer that lost her calf early in the year I milked by hand for a long time.. she is very very slowly warming up to the calf, then there are two other cows that just get tired of chasing him off.. He gets a bottle every day or two if he looks really hungry.. I have 3 left to go... So far I have 13 bull calves and 7 heifers.. really lopsided this year.
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:25 am

Just got lucky to convince the cow that she has twins. :) No trouble at all. When we walked them all to the shed ( that was ~30min after calving), she already watched both calves and called them.
21 bulls and 17 heifers at the moment. Had most of the heifers born in summer/fall. Will have ten more calvings until June.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:13 am

One of my easiest adoptions was a cow that lost her calf (legs the wrong way for too long) but never got to sniff it.. a few days later I had a cow with twins on a cold night, only wanted one of them.. I took the other into the shop for the night, and when I brought it to the cow that lost hers, it was love at first sight "Finally you brought me my baby!"
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:53 am

Most of the calves are red, some black this year, so want abit more colour.
A bull calf was born this morning out of 3rd calver. Her first calf was a black heifer(replacement), the second- yellow bull calf, which she lost due to difficult calving, but after a week she took an orphan calf and raised him well, and this year this light grey bull calf. Wonder what colour she'll bring next year.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Fri May 04, 2018 10:52 am

Only a couple left to calve, finally. The bulls are winning by their number. Had two calves born two days ago- heifer and bull. Our taggers are broken at the moment, so will have some work when the new ones will arrive...
Image Heifer.

Image Bull.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”