bucking bull breeds

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Hick
Beginner
Beginner

bucking bull breeds

Postby Hick » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:21 pm

what cattle breeds they use for rodeo and bucking bulls......are they just longhorns and brahams?
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Re: bucking bull breeds

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:28 pm

You see a little of everything. My understanding is that a high percentage of longhorn is not a good thing. I have some calves coming the end of this month that are supposed to be bred to buck.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:34 pm

Longhorn, Spanish fighting and Brahman are three main breeds in the mix but there are more breeds in the mix so basically they're just mongrels. Occasionally you may find a bison cross or a yak cross being used from time to time. Here, the rookie/junior/female rider bulls are usually a highland or a highland cross.
0 x

Hick
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Hick » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:49 pm

what are some other breeds that have bin cross with longhorns ,brahams ,and Spanish fighting.....is there any beef breeds or any breeds that have bin cross
0 x

A.J.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby A.J. » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:54 pm

Many of them appear to be BrafordX. Some Charbray and the black ones could be any number of beef breeds now a days.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:29 am

Mine will be-------Charlois, Santa Gertudis, longhorn, brahma, Hereford. It'd be a good guess everybodies is mixed up like that. If you seen one of mine at a year old, it'd be anybody's guess what's in em.
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:28 am

White Parks, Watusi and British White are often used to add more colors. Sometimes they will throw a belted one in the mix for just giggles and be nice. I've seen few BrahmousinX and few polled black ones.
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:46 am

From what I hear on TV it's big business and money involved
Proven bucking bulls bred to cows with bucking bull lineage.
Lots of retired bull riders raising buls like JW Hart, LJ Jennings Jerome Davis come to mind, then guys like Cody Ohl and pro football players like Jared Allen
Hall of fame bull fighter Rob smets has got a real good one

Lots of cows ai'd to proven bulls and I've heard of prospects bringing 50k
They said on the PBR thar Asteroid was just sold but didn't mention the price but I bet it's shocking
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:30 am

Just throwing this out there. I have researched it all quit a bit. IMHO, the ability to buck is not a highly inheritable trait. Some Bulls like white sports coat seem to pass it along, but not all do. There also seems to be a lot of homecooking in the area of breaking in to bucking. And, one would expect that with anything. Also, any cow can be registered with the ABBI. It just want have a lineage. So in theory, anybody with a cow, and a straw of semen could get started (and are).
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:44 am

Bigfoot wrote:Just throwing this out there. I have researched it all quit a bit. IMHO, the ability to buck is not a highly inheritable trait. Some Bulls like white sports coat seem to pass it along, but not all do. There also seems to be a lot of homecooking in the area of breaking in to bucking. And, one would expect that with anything. Also, any cow can be registered with the ABBI. It just want have a lineage. So in theory, anybody with a cow, and a straw of semen could get started (and are).

Have a friend in the business as was his father. Both very successful. He raises about a hundred a year and hopes for one good one that one of the really big guys will pay big money for. Most all have brahman influence and then you can thow in the charolais, herefords etc. for crosses.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:14 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:Just throwing this out there. I have researched it all quit a bit. IMHO, the ability to buck is not a highly inheritable trait. Some Bulls like white sports coat seem to pass it along, but not all do. There also seems to be a lot of homecooking in the area of breaking in to bucking. And, one would expect that with anything. Also, any cow can be registered with the ABBI. It just want have a lineage. So in theory, anybody with a cow, and a straw of semen could get started (and are).

Have a friend in the business as was his father. Both very successful. He raises about a hundred a year and hopes for one good one that one of the really big guys will pay big money for. Most all have brahman influence and then you can thow in the charolais, herefords etc. for crosses.

Ty Murray was telling a story the other night during the pbr on TV
I don't remember the number but his uncle bought a bunch seems like maybe 500 bulls out of feedyards one year and never got one that was good enough to use as a bucking bull
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:48 pm

I don't think anyone knows what is in the wood pile. I know they use Char, Brangus red and black, Brafords, Brahma, Sim, Watusi, LH, fighting bulls. It is an art and very expensive they put those bulls on a special diet and work them out. Some bulls are good about passing down their bucking ability and some ain't. Bo has some good sons but none as good as him. Reindeer has sons that are a lot greater than him like Bushwacker. Playboy has some good sons. Mudslinger has a few sons but no where on his level. Yellow Jacket and his sons have produced some good offspring. If I was to buy semen I think it would be Reindeer or Yellow Jacket. Watching the PBR I see bulls who have part of their sires name so I can kinda tell who comes from who.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:08 pm

If I'm not mistaken, you can buy Bodacious semen for $300.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:12 pm

Cross-7 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

Ty Murray was telling a story the other night during the pbr on TV
I don't remember the number but his uncle bought a bunch seems like maybe 500 bulls out of feedyards one year and never got one that was good enough to use as a bucking bull

Yessir...takes an exceptional animal to get to that level and stay there.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:16 pm

Bigfoot wrote:If I'm not mistaken, you can buy Bodacious semen for $300.

I thought with him being dead it would be higher. He also has over 20 son with professional outs. To me the value in Bo has always been his daughters who have produced some pretty good buckers.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Return to “Breeds Board”