bucking bull breeds

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: bucking bull breeds

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:23 pm

Been told that pure Brahman get to mad to buck, they just sull...but the cross's...old friend worked at a local stockyard would buy bulls there, bring em home and buck em out, the buckers stayed and the others he rerun back through the stockyard...those bulls were about every beef breed..,
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:57 pm

I've seen good bucking bulls come from everywhere. As I kid I remember a stock contractor who while his dad was away bucked out his registered angus bulls he had for sale. One smaller bull really bucked. He was one of the top bulls in this area for several years. I remember when a several of the rodeos would round up the bulls from area ranchers and buck them at the local rodeos. Several top bulls came from doing this. You never know where you will find a bucker. The first contractor I knew who bred for bucking bulls and had success was Charlie Plummer from Sayre, OK. He got his start from a contractor in the TX Panhandle. You still see some of his bloodlines even in the PBR bulls. His son still raises bulls. Most of those I've known who either raised or developed bucking bulls wanted no more than a 1/4 Brahma. I've seen many breeds and crosses through the years. Some liked a little Charloais. They claimed it added some athletism. It is like raising beef cattle each breeder or developer has a little different idea of what works best.
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:25 pm

One of my dad's customer has a son that did A.I few dairy cows with Yellow Jacket semen few years ago. Great females, but the sons do OK. Then there's mini bucking bulls.....

We have few strong rodeo communities here, they bred their bucking bulls to local cows of any breeds as its cheaper that way than buying females from bucking stock.

As long as it bucks good, they didn't care about what breed he is.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:54 pm

Stock contractor I worked for years ago would buy odd ball two year old bulls and try them out. He had a string of bulls that bucked like wolves. It was common to have only 2 or 3 bulls rode over a weekend at one of his rodeos. There wasn't a lot of brahma influence in his bulls but there was a lot o char cross bulls. He sold out everything to an outfit in Oklahoma. I remember hearing back that the bulls didn't hold up very well. Maybe the heat in the summer? But I know there were horses from that string going to the NFR several years later.
Speaking of bucking horses. Calgary Stampede has been breeding bucking horses for years. Any discussion about horses that buck has to include the ones from Calgary.
0 x

Jake
GURU
GURU

Postby Jake » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:53 am

Wasn't there a pair of fullblood guppy bulls in the PBR a couple years ago?
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:47 am

Jake wrote:Wasn't there a pair of fullblood guppy bulls in the PBR a couple years ago?

...........?
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:01 pm

Guppy bulls???
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:12 pm

Weren't they Gelbvieh bulls? Named something like Pete and Repeat. They weren't terrible terrible rank but would buck a guy off who wasn't sitting in the middle.
0 x

Jake
GURU
GURU

Postby Jake » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:28 pm

Dave wrote:Weren't they Gelbvieh bulls? Named something like Pete and Repeat. They weren't terrible terrible rank but would buck a guy off who wasn't sitting in the middle.

That's my recollection of their names. And yes sorry guppy=gelbvieh around here.
0 x

cbcr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby cbcr » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:34 pm

They have also clones some of the bucking bulls, http://ridingbulls.blogspot.com/2011/03/clone-facts.html
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:28 am

There's all sorts of breeds in there, probably every breed. There's a ton of money out there, too. But you have to have the right last name, and the right brand on your cattle to get looked at. Then there's the one guy that decides which bulls get to go to the top level, and he's, well....I can't say what I really think b/c the 'be nice' will appear. The guys that win the ABBI every year do have a ton of great cattle, but they are also on the board of directors. Years ago, there was a competition where steroids were found in the top 5 bulls. Rumor was that the president and some board members were involved but the names never came out. After that they 'changed the rules' to increase testing and release names, but things never changed. I also took one to an event once and saw the board member's bulls penned together when there was a specific rule stating each bull competing had to be in his separate pen, no buddy bulls allowed. I didn't have my phone on me so I couldn't take a picture to document it. Biggest mistake I've ever made. :bang: It was after that event that I sold everything I had and got out.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:54 pm

Google Jackie Ratjen. He's my friend that raises some pretty darn good bucking stock down this way.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:14 pm

TexasBred wrote:Google Jackie Ratjen. He's my friend that raises some pretty darn good bucking stock down this way.

Jackie's a very standup guy that doesn't get the attention he deserves. He's got a heck of a program, but he doesn't haul like some of the other guys do. But he sure has raised some superstars, and Bushwhacker's dam is out of Diamond's Ghost that Jackie raised. Bushwhacker is probably the best bull that ever was.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:56 pm

My son's, not mine. Born yesterday. His Papaw came and checked him out of school when it was born. Son took the pic, and sent it to me. I haven't seen the calf. Cow was partial to it, and sent em back to the truck. We've looked for the calf off, and on all day, and haven't found it. I believe the cow has been sucked, so I'm not super concerned. I'm hoping she's just hid it good. Anyway, it's a bull calf, definatly with horns. He don't look like a man eater to me. The lineage is a little questionable, so we're just going back one generation with ABBI to register it. Be a long long time, before we can do anything with it.

I guess all dreams start somewhere, but helping him get a bull calf on the ground has been a drudgery. He even bought a bucking bred cow, that I ended up trading him out of, because of a run of bad luck.

A couple of people on the board, contributed with info. I appreciate their help.

0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

djinwa
GURU
GURU

Postby djinwa » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:55 pm

I wonder if the bulls are getting too good. I watch the 15 best riders go at it and often only one or two get to 8 seconds. Maybe we need to have a breeding program for riders. Or change scoring so get some points even if don't get to 8 seconds.

Stone Sober:
0 x
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”
-Mahatma Ghandi

Return to “Breeds Board”