bucking bull breeds

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Cross-7
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1860
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:22 pm
Location: SW OK

Re: bucking bull breeds

Postby Cross-7 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:19 am

Adds nothing to the conversation but good article and video

http://newsok.com/multimedia/video/4716960772001
0 x

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10969
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: bucking bull breeds

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:30 am

Cross-7 wrote:Adds nothing to the conversation but good article and video

http://newsok.com/multimedia/video/4716960772001


I've got 7000 plus post. None of which added anything to the conversation.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28061
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: bucking bull breeds

Postby TexasBred » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:31 am

Bestoutwest wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Google Jackie Ratjen. He's my friend that raises some pretty darn good bucking stock down this way.


Jackie's a very standup guy that doesn't get the attention he deserves. He's got a heck of a program, but he doesn't haul like some of the other guys do. But he sure has raised some superstars, and Bushwhacker's dam is out of Diamond's Ghost that Jackie raised. Bushwhacker is probably the best bull that ever was.

100% gentleman !!!
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

User avatar
Commercialfarmer
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2923
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:26 pm
Location: Western Oklahoma

Re: bucking bull breeds

Postby Commercialfarmer » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:17 pm

Bigfoot wrote:Just throwing this out there. I have researched it all quit a bit. IMHO, the ability to buck is not a highly inheritable trait.


I don't know much about bucking bulls, but I grew up near where Bodacious was raised. I may be wrong, but I don't recall another big time bull coming from that herd so I'd be inclined to believe that.
0 x
X

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28061
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: bucking bull breeds

Postby TexasBred » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:18 pm

Commercialfarmer wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:Just throwing this out there. I have researched it all quit a bit. IMHO, the ability to buck is not a highly inheritable trait.


I don't know much about bucking bulls, but I grew up near where Bodacious was raised. I may be wrong, but I don't recall another big time bull coming from that herd so I'd be inclined to believe that.

They'll all buck a little and work for small time local rodeos but probably less than .1% of the bulls raised for bucking ever make it to the PBR level and stay there any length of time.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 595
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: bucking bull breeds

Postby elkwc » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:32 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Google Jackie Ratjen. He's my friend that raises some pretty darn good bucking stock down this way.


Jackie's a very standup guy that doesn't get the attention he deserves. He's got a heck of a program, but he doesn't haul like some of the other guys do. But he sure has raised some superstars, and Bushwhacker's dam is out of Diamond's Ghost that Jackie raised. Bushwhacker is probably the best bull that ever was.

100% gentleman !!!


Is Jackie Dick's brother? I know he had a brother Jack. I knew DIck the best. As a kid who followed his Dad to rodeos in the Panhandle during the early 60's I remember Tom Harlan raising bulls and having some very good stock. Then Charlie Plummer got his start with Harlan cows and several of the PBR bulls today go back to Plummer cows. D&H started with some cows that went back to the original Plummer bloodlines. I've heard whether bucking is inherited or not debated a bunch. All I know is that Plummer always had spotted bulls that bucked and would hook you. He would put on the LBR rodeos in KS and the OK Panhandle and buck his young bulls. It was uncommon to not see one rode. If you rode one you knew you were likely going to place. I knew the Ratjen's raised bulls and continues to do so. I was never sure where they got there start but I have seen some good ones they raised also. Those are the three men who I remember raising bulls in the past that had good success doing it.
0 x

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28061
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: bucking bull breeds

Postby TexasBred » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:09 am

elkwc wrote:Is Jackie Dick's brother? I know he had a brother Jack. I knew DIck the best. As a kid who followed his Dad to rodeos in the Panhandle during the early 60's I remember Tom Harlan raising bulls and having some very good stock. Then Charlie Plummer got his start with Harlan cows and several of the PBR bulls today go back to Plummer cows. D&H started with some cows that went back to the original Plummer bloodlines. I've heard whether bucking is inherited or not debated a bunch. All I know is that Plummer always had spotted bulls that bucked and would hook you. He would put on the LBR rodeos in KS and the OK Panhandle and buck his young bulls. It was uncommon to not see one rode. If you rode one you knew you were likely going to place. I knew the Ratjen's raised bulls and continues to do so. I was never sure where they got there start but I have seen some good ones they raised also. Those are the three men who I remember raising bulls in the past that had good success doing it.


Elk I never knew him but Jackie got his start with his dad who raised bucking bulls all his life as well.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

User avatar
Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1440
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:12 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: bucking bull breeds

Postby Bestoutwest » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:46 pm

Commercialfarmer wrote:I don't know much about bucking bulls, but I grew up near where Bodacious was raised. I may be wrong, but I don't recall another big time bull coming from that herd so I'd be inclined to believe that.


The story that I heard on him is that he was a commercial beef bull that was headed for slaughter and was bought by someone to use in high school rodeos. He sucked and was about to get canned and then a kid hung up on him. After that night he was a different animal, and as they say, the rest is history.

TexasBred wrote:
Commercialfarmer wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:Just throwing this out there. I have researched it all quit a bit. IMHO, the ability to buck is not a highly inheritable trait.


They'll all buck a little and work for small time local rodeos but probably less than .1% of the bulls raised for bucking ever make it to the PBR level and stay there any length of time.


That's not necessarily true. I have seen papered up bulls that should buck their tails off actually run across the pen and then I've seen bulls that are out of a commercial cow with a PBR bull as a sire just go out and buck like a monster. The trait is inheritable in as much as you have a better chance to get a bucking bull out of pedigreed parents than if you were to buy a beef bull and expect something special. However, there's always anecdotal evidence that says otherwise, but that's like buying coal hoping to find a diamond. I'm not sure what the percentage is on born bulls and those making it to the PBR. It's a very political game that keeps a decent amount of good bulls on the local circuit. There's one guy that decides who gets to bring bulls to the top division, so you upset him forget ever getting a call, no matter how good your bull is.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

User avatar
Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1440
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:12 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: bucking bull breeds

Postby Bestoutwest » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:52 pm

[quote="elkwc"][quote="TexasBred"] D&H started with some cows that went back to the original Plummer bloodlines. [quote]

From Lynn Rice? For awhile they were buying bulls (early 2000's) and then they were raising a lot of their own stuff. That's all they do now, and pretty much supply everyone else, for that matter. They've pretty much cornered the market on the bucking bull world, and quite the tight grip on it.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

User avatar
wacocowboy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3024
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:36 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: bucking bull breeds

Postby wacocowboy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:56 pm

Congrats on getting a bull BF hope he bucks.

I wonder when you figure in all the cost of the cows and raising bulls and the percentage that don't work out would it just be cheaper to go to a bucking sale and buy them.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Muddy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2040
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Cold place!!!

Re: bucking bull breeds

Postby Muddy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:27 pm

At least you can always turning bucking cows into commercial cows if the bucking bull route didn't work out.
0 x

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10969
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: bucking bull breeds

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:36 pm

wacocowboy wrote:Congrats on getting a bull BF hope he bucks.

I wonder when you figure in all the cost of the cows and raising bulls and the percentage that don't work out would it just be cheaper to go to a bucking sale and buy them.


Way cheaper, not as much fun though. :D

I actually wasn't out anything, until I swapped him a cow, for his that didn't breed back.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10969
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: bucking bull breeds

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:24 pm

Bigfoot wrote:My son's, not mine. Born yesterday. His Papaw came and checked him out of school when it was born. Son took the pic, and sent it to me. I haven't seen the calf. Cow was partial to it, and sent em back to the truck. We've looked for the calf off, and on all day, and haven't found it. I believe the cow has been sucked, so I'm not super concerned. I'm hoping she's just hid it good. Anyway, it's a bull calf, definatly with horns. He don't look like a man eater to me. The lineage is a little questionable, so we're just going back one generation with ABBI to register it. Be a long long time, before we can do anything with it.

I guess all dreams start somewhere, but helping him get a bull calf on the ground has been a drudgery. He even bought a bucking bred cow, that I ended up trading him out of, because of a run of bad luck.

A couple of people on the board, contributed with info. I appreciate their help.

Image


Shade over 3 months old, easily the worst growing calf on my place this year. He is noticeably athletic though.
Image
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4957
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:02 pm
Location: Austin Texas

Re: bucking bull breeds

Postby Kingfisher » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:49 pm

He's got that ornery look!
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10969
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: bucking bull breeds

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:23 pm

Kingfisher wrote:He's got that ornery look!


I can't picture what he will look like at 14 months old. He certainly doesn't look like much now. Both front legs comin out the same hole, and a little pigeon toed. Zero depth, but no bulls I see at the rodeos I attend have much in the way of guts, so IDK. He does seem to have a propensity to run, and push on the others with his head. His horns appear to be growth oriented, and his hocks are set right for the long haul. Thinking about weaning him early, but not pushing him much with feed, just see where his frame goes.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.


Return to “Breeds Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests