bucking bull breeds

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Re: bucking bull breeds

Postby Dave » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:32 pm

Bucking bulls and prospects don't need to be mean. What they do need is to move lightly on their feet. The slow plodders rarely make it as a bucking bull. They need to be an athlete.
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:55 pm

I shared a shuttle once with Guilherme Marchi in Denver. He had just won the world title and I confess I am a big fan. We talked on the way from the airport to the Enterprise car rental location. He told me he raised bucking bulls I wish you could of heard this conversation he said "bulls not so bad but the mamma's they mean!" Super nice young man, my daughter in law swears I knocked three people down trying to get the seat next to him, but that is not true. I did however leave my son and daughter in law standing on the curb having to wait for the next shuttle. Those other folks on the side walk must have slipped on the ice.

gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:06 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:My understanding is breed, attitude, color or any thing else doesn't matter as long as it bucks. They will ride and breed a goat if it will buck.

There are people you can call if you think you have a prospect. They will by them out right or raise them on up in shares.

Mostly true but a bucking bull breeder told me they really don't want bulls that are mean. Just one that bucks like he// and heads for home after doing his job.

Ya I can see that. People getting hurt doesn't really sell any more. The guys that keep them here spend a lot of time moving them and just being around them in general. It mellows most of them out pretty good.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:49 am

gizmom wrote:Super nice young man, my daughter in law swears I knocked three people down trying to get the seat next to him,
but that is not true. I did however leave my son and daughter in law standing on the curb having to wait for the next
shuttle. Those other folks on the side walk must have slipped on the ice.

gizmom

:) :D :lol:
0 x

H&S
Beginner
Beginner

Postby H&S » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:27 am

I dont post.Just enjoy reading the boards. There is a wealth of info on here. But I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in on this one.I have been raising them for around 10 years now. I have even won a few chips playin the futurity game. You definetly dont want em too mean. I had one I had to pull from events he was such a pain in the a$$.Wouldnt leave the pen ,hooked at everything that moved. Would take 10 minutes to get him through the out gate.Slowed down the show and no body likes that.That being said, I'm probably lookin at gettin out and maybe runnin some comercial. I'm tired of losin money and events are getting harder to find to haul them to.
0 x

limftw
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby limftw » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:56 am

So you are telling me I could sell those ol' cattle that catch air coming out of the chute for top dollar? Who do i call???
0 x
"Governing a large country is like frying a small fish, you spoil it with too much poking."

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:37 pm

I had a couple bull calves I almost sold to a guy around here. Their dad can clear a 5 strand bard wire without stretching a wire. He can also clear a cattle guard with out a running start. I thought about breeding that bull to some Limo cows. :nod: they would be be nice.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:17 pm

I had a bull come out of the chute and do a perfect imitation of Bo. His butt was as close to straight above his head as you could get. Kinda regret I didn't take him and try him out with a dummy. He was lean and athletic built didn't look like my other beef calves.

I saw a real lean athletic bull yesterday at the sale and he bucked a bit in the ring. I would of loved to put a dummy on him see what he could do.

You bull is looking pretty decent BF. Would love to see what he does when you buck him.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:02 pm

Taking the bucking bull, and one we also kept (not bucking bred), to a nearby university. They are going to chute break them, and buck them just a little bit for us, to see what they do. I might snap a pic, if it's not dark when we get there. I hope they do something, but it's a long shot.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:05 am

Bigfoot wrote:Taking the bucking bull, and one we also kept (not bucking bred), to a nearby university. They are going to chute break them, and buck them just a little bit for us, to see what they do. I might snap a pic, if it's not dark when we get there. I hope they do something, but it's a long shot.

You need your video camera. Good luck hope they do well.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:11 am

H&S wrote:I dont post.Just enjoy reading the boards. There is a wealth of info on here. But I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in on this one.I have been raising them for around 10 years now. I have even won a few chips playin the futurity game. You definetly dont want em too mean. I had one I had to pull from events he was such a pain in the a$$.Wouldnt leave the pen ,hooked at everything that moved. Would take 10 minutes to get him through the out gate.Slowed down the show and no body likes that.That being said, I'm probably lookin at gettin out and maybe runnin some comercial. I'm tired of losin money and events are getting harder to find to haul them to.

Back in the 70's my father published Rodeo Magazine. Those mean, brindle, Jersey Braford bulls used to be part of the show. Kinda like halftime. They would let the mean sob chase the clowns while everybody bought more stuff at the concession stand. These new tv rodeos have no style or showmanship.
0 x

Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Gators Rule » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:39 am

I have to agree! The "clowns" are a huge part of what draws me to bull riding! Tremendous talent too!
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:19 pm

Gators Rule wrote:I have to agree! The "clowns" are a huge part of what draws me to bull riding! Tremendous talent too!

I like watching the BFO.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:49 pm

The little white bull I've put the most pictures of up, got his horns tipped, the same day as pictures were taken. Probably nothing wrong with it, but I think we all need to be conscious of what we post on the net. The little Red Bull, that I sent just to see what would happen, actually bucked better. Not much of a pic, but it's what I have to offer. He 3 jumped the crash dummy we had on him, and got pretty close to vertical several times. Not much action in the front end of either bull. I wouldn't be afraid to put my mother in law on the white bull, but he may improve.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Mon May 01, 2017 12:45 am

Bigfoot wrote:The little white bull I've put the most pictures of up, got his horns tipped, the same day as pictures were taken. Probably nothing wrong with it, but I think we all need to be conscious of what we post on the net. The little Red Bull, that I sent just to see what would happen, actually bucked better. Not much of a pic, but it's what I have to offer. He 3 jumped the crash dummy we had on him, and got pretty close to vertical several times. Not much action in the front end of either bull. I wouldn't be afraid to put my mother in law on the white bull, but he may improve.

Hard to say much from the picture but sounds like the red one did ok. I have seen bulls who went on to be great have poor first outings. I wouldn't mind seeing videos of both next time you buck them if you can with your phone.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”