bucking bull breeds

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Re: bucking bull breeds

Postby Bigfoot » Mon May 01, 2017 6:03 am

wacocowboy wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:The little white bull I've put the most pictures of up, got his horns tipped, the same day as pictures were taken. Probably nothing wrong with it, but I think we all need to be conscious of what we post on the net. The little Red Bull, that I sent just to see what would happen, actually bucked better. Not much of a pic, but it's what I have to offer. He 3 jumped the crash dummy we had on him, and got pretty close to vertical several times. Not much action in the front end of either bull. I wouldn't be afraid to put my mother in law on the white bull, but he may improve.

Hard to say much from the picture but sounds like the red one did ok. I have seen bulls who went on to be great have poor first outings. I wouldn't mind seeing videos of both next time you buck them if you can with your phone.

Neither of them did very well. They are going to stay at the university this week, and next week, I will be at their mercy on a video. If the send me one, I will pm you my phone number.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Mon May 01, 2017 7:28 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:The little white bull I've put the most pictures of up, got his horns tipped, the same day as pictures were taken. Probably nothing wrong with it, but I think we all need to be conscious of what we post on the net. The little Red Bull, that I sent just to see what would happen, actually bucked better. Not much of a pic, but it's what I have to offer. He 3 jumped the crash dummy we had on him, and got pretty close to vertical several times. Not much action in the front end of either bull. I wouldn't be afraid to put my mother in law on the white bull, but he may improve.

Hard to say much from the picture but sounds like the red one did ok. I have seen bulls who went on to be great have poor first outings. I wouldn't mind seeing videos of both next time you buck them if you can with your phone.

Neither of them did very well. They are going to stay at the university this week, and next week, I will be at their mercy on a video. If the send me one, I will pm you my phone number.

Cool hopefully they get the hang of it.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue May 02, 2017 6:16 am

Gators Rule wrote:The "clowns" are a huge part of what draws me to bull riding! Tremendous talent too!

Rodeo clowns are the most underpaid athletes in all of sports.
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Wed May 03, 2017 3:45 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
Gators Rule wrote:The "clowns" are a huge part of what draws me to bull riding! Tremendous talent too!

Rodeo clowns are the most underpaid athletes in all of sports.

Ain't that the truth. I know I bought a few steak dinners back when I was riding for saving my bacon.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Sun May 07, 2017 8:55 am

So, I'm reading this thread aloud with my 2nd grade son...who asks, "Dad, do you think I'd do a good job raising cows?"

Great thread ... :)
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun May 28, 2017 8:25 pm

After much deliberation, he sold the bucking bred bull at the yard Thursday. We kept the other bull. I would classify it as one step up from what I'd see bucked at a youth rodeo in our area. "Maybe" on par with what might get brought to an open rodeo. Definitely won't be hauling to any futurities. I've turned it out with my heifers, so we will have it till fall. Might keep it thru the winter to see what it does as a 2 year old.

The experiment was fun. Didn't cost much. Kinda like waiting for eggs to hatch sort of thing. Had a mishap, and lost our semen. It was actually pretty cheap, so no real financial loss. I wouldn't rule out doing it again.

A thanks to CP for running down the semen for me.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:59 am

Sorry he didn't buck better. Glad y'all had fun and glad to hear you are open to doing it again. I have thought about doing it just never have. I have also thought about buying a young bucking bull at a bucking sale.
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:13 pm

wacocowboy wrote:Sorry he didn't buck better. Glad y'all had fun and glad to hear you are open to doing it again. I have thought about doing it just never have. I have also thought about buying a young bucking bull at a bucking sale.

If you do it, use 329 Houdini for a straw. Probably the best bang for your buck (no pun intended) and give you the "best odds." As for sales....well, be prepared to spend a lot.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:51 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:Sorry he didn't buck better. Glad y'all had fun and glad to hear you are open to doing it again. I have thought about doing it just never have. I have also thought about buying a young bucking bull at a bucking sale.

If you do it, use 329 Houdini for a straw. Probably the best bang for your buck (no pun intended) and give you the "best odds." As for sales....well, be prepared to spend a lot.

Yeah he is a good bull to use. I think I saw him listed at 500 a straw. Yeah I have been to sales they want a pretty penny for anything that bucks halfway decent. I wouldn't do it till I was set up a lil better to work him out somewhere with chutes.
0 x

Allenw
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Allenw » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:09 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
Commercialfarmer wrote:I don't know much about bucking bulls, but I grew up near where Bodacious was raised. I may be wrong, but I don't recall another big time bull coming from that herd so I'd be inclined to believe that.

The story that I heard on him is that he was a commercial beef bull that was headed for slaughter and was bought by someone to use in high school rodeos. He sucked and was about to get canned and then a kid hung up on him. After that night he was a different animal, and as they say, the rest is history.

Jess bought Bodacious out of the sale barn at Geary OK and sold him before he was ever bucked is how I heard the story. I think he was sold again before being tried out.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”