Dang Hector's grown!

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

cotton1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Dang Hector's grown!

Postby cotton1 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:51 am

Congrats on Hectors return Nesi. Ive been away for a while and just now read this thread thru. As best I remember, you already were using a bull out of your herd. (Via Chroma??) I cant remember the parentage of him really, but never knew how he turned out.

Glad to see you are still using line breeding to improve your herd. I also laughed when I saw the post inferring that "pure bred" cattle can be line bred and "mongrels" can not. As if in the beginning there were all these "pure breeds" we refer to cattle as today and genetic concentration is only possible with those animals. Over the years you and I have shared our thoughts on cattle and breeding practices, mostly in agreement. I have enjoyed the pictures and post you have shared of your herd and hope Hector does you proud.

Cotton1
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun May 20, 2018 3:03 pm

cotton1 wrote:Congrats on Hectors return Nesi. Ive been away for a while and just now read this thread thru. As best I remember, you already were using a bull out of your herd. (Via Chroma??) I cant remember the parentage of him really, but never knew how he turned out.

Glad to see you are still using line breeding to improve your herd. I also laughed when I saw the post inferring that "pure bred" cattle can be line bred and "mongrels" can not. As if in the beginning there were all these "pure breeds" we refer to cattle as today and genetic concentration is only possible with those animals. Over the years you and I have shared our thoughts on cattle and breeding practices, mostly in agreement. I have enjoyed the pictures and post you have shared of your herd and hope Hector does you proud.

Cotton1

Well, It's turnout day today..

Pics of him from yesterday..

He's all happy to have company again
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun May 20, 2018 3:06 pm

Oh, and my previous bull was Chroma's full brother, this one is about a 13/16th sibling.. a generation of difference and a different great grandsire somewhere there.. Chroma has Saler blood, Hector does not
0 x
-Christopher Hitchens

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun May 20, 2018 6:46 pm

Look at Hector!! Well done, Nesi!
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun May 20, 2018 8:39 pm

I saw that post on your Facebook. That was funny.

He sure looks Good!
0 x
Make America Happy Again

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Sun May 20, 2018 9:00 pm

Looks good. You might want to trim around his sheath if you haven't already turned him out.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun May 27, 2018 2:43 am

He's already out.. probably could still do it,.. and he's been busy.. 12 cows bred in 6 days.. 2 of the 4 heifers, and 2 of the 4 second timers... I just noticed MOST of the ones that were bred were from his maternal line.. 8 of 10 from that line are done.. Now as long as they all stick, should be a quick start to the calving season.

His size hasn't seemed to be any issue at all with the heifers or small cows, seems gentlemanly enough I guess..
Can't wait to see the calves now.. *sigh* why does 285 days seem like an eternity?
0 x
-Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Breeds Board”