Just a baby bull to pick on.

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Khuckabee
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Just a baby bull to pick on.

Postby Khuckabee » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:51 am

I don't know thst we will have any feet proble mn s due to our controlled environment thst ee raise cattle in. Might be from too soft of sand to walk in but we keep them in pretty of fixed pens but no padtures. My pasture will barely feed the rattlesnakes that are in it. Because of that we feed them 100%, and thry,dobt really walk much ever. That said, now I have something to look for. He is my first ten x calf if we get him here and doing ok. I won't ai another ten x calf until I am confident in success. I'd like to keep the calf as a heifer, I hope that's what we get. I dont need another bull. The cow/ heifer is a great looking animal.
0 x

Khuckabee
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Khuckabee » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:23 am

I hope we don't have the feet and rear legs issues. I hadn't heard of any issues. Can you elaborate on what issues you have heard? Might help me be more aware in looking for results or problems. . The foot issues might be solved with how we raise our cows. Low stress on feet and legs. Our cattle grow up in a very soft controlled environment. Pen fed system for their whole lives. Not a lot of walking required of them. And surfaces are foot friendly for cattle.
0 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:46 pm

I don't know that I've seen a 10X anything... or that I'd recognize a bad foot if I saw it - unless it was something like a screw-claw or elf-slipper(founder) kind of deal.

That said, here are a couple of comments I've seen on another board, from Angus breeders; take it or leave it:
One from KS: "I have seen a ton of 10X calves over the past few years and I have never seen a bull that can consistently produce such putrid rear wheels. You can pick them out simply by the rear leg and feet structure.
I could never stand MIF and 10x seems to be worse."
One from IA: "I've got a few 10X daughters coming with their second calf. If I had to describe them in one word it would be nondescript, with the exception of fertility. Fertility was above average, all settled first service AI and bred back for second calves early, even one that had twins. Otherwise I can't really complain or promote them. Bulls were a little more high headed than I like, cows seem to be OK."
Another one from IA: "Ten X feet were unacceptable here so good luck."
0 x

Briar Ridge Angus
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Briar Ridge Angus » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:47 am

After 2 months of growth I still like where this little guy is at. He is growing well!

Here is a few pics of his half brother also. The brother is also sired by Ten X but he was born 09/08. He is also doing well and looks to be pretty deep bodied. I like the way my Ten X calves are growing!!

0 x

Briar Ridge Angus
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Briar Ridge Angus » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:49 am

I know there will be some people who talk about the feed trough, they get fed a little grain about once per week and I take pictures with my phone so they have to be relatively close.
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:56 pm

He is looking good keep posting! I hope he weans out good for you.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:23 am

Try and get a good profile pic of him... he's got a nice butt but I can't see how he looks for length

Try for one with a pose
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Briar Ridge Angus
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Briar Ridge Angus » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:04 am

I guess we are at around 4 months old with this little guy and I still really like him a lot. I got a chance to snap a few pictures today.

0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:11 am

Thanks for chronicling his development to share with us.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:11 am

I enjoy watching them develop he has grown into that big navel, I figured he would.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

Briar Ridge Angus
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Briar Ridge Angus » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:30 am

10 months old but I don't know if I am as impressed with him as I want to be. He seems to be alright just not as good as I was hoping for in the beginning. It may just be because I also have 2 other bulls that are around 14 moths old. Will they put on a ton of growth in the next 2-3 months? Please give me your thoughts about him now!

0 x

Briar Ridge Angus
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Briar Ridge Angus » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:35 am

This is the bull I have to compare him to. They are half brothers. Both of them are sired by Ten X.

0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:56 am

Briar Ridge Angus wrote:10 months old but I don't know if I am as impressed with him as I want to be. He seems to be alright just not as good as I was hoping for in the beginning. It may just be because I also have 2 other bulls that are around 14 moths old. Will they put on a ton of growth in the next 2-3 months? Please give me your thoughts about him now!

He ain't turning out,as good as he was starting..your seeing all the faults we are..no guts or butt...but I'd bet twenty he's got nuts...
2 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:35 am

1607 is better than 603
1 x

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:00 pm

The second calf is way better looking. It's pity that the first one hasn't turned out as you wanted.
We have one heifer, which showed lots of potential for the first couple weeks and has wonderful genetics, but she now is one of the bottom, maybe even the worst from the group.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”