Thoughts about this heifer

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Thoughts about this heifer

Postby Nesikep » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:34 pm

I hate those kinds of choices.. but I think I'd get rid of her unless she has some spectacular bloodlines (Like WalnutCrest's frozen hoof heifer)... Also agreed that IF kept, I'd breed her this year.. I don't think she'd do well past about 6-8 years, so you might as well see if you can get the heifer you want sooner rather than later.. she's a nice size so it shouldn't be a problem.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:36 pm

We would breed her this year. Probably in september- october.
That's the most info we can get from the AI here. If you want more you need to buy semen from abroad yourself where are more information. Have used once easy calving Angus bull from the same company on heifers. All calved well. Definitely not using anything bigger than Angus for her. She can bring muscles on calf almost from nowhere.
She does have quite valuable genetics. Her dam is a top breeder in our herd and this heifer is in total her 3rd daughter. Have this girl's full sister incalf to our Limo bull due in fall. She has abit less muscles, but also has bigger birth weight and was born quite meaty,~ 110lbs. This girl was born very slim, 90lbs and in general we like this one much more.
So far she looks fine being out in the field with other heifers, but will watch her. She has injured her leg in October.
0 x

MarkH
Beginner
Beginner

Postby MarkH » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:52 pm

Given what I have used in the past on similar heifers I would use a calving ease Red Angus on her. here are two Red Angus bulls that are worth looking at:
Proffit Builder: http://bullbarn.com/angredepd.asp?ID=467 Very good metrics on this bull.
000 Sirloin: http://bullbarn.com/angredepd.asp?ID=494 Note this bull has sexed semen available important if you want a heifer. Note the prices for these bulls are upfront.
Have you considered becoming adealer for AI companies once you become a vet? You could expand the quality of gentics available to Lativian beef producers and have viable business.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Mon May 08, 2017 12:56 pm

We wouldn't buy semen from abroad just for one heifer. At the moment can't afford spending much.

Not sure. Most likely just will be an AI technician. It'd take quite alot of time to be a dealer, while I want to work more in my own farm.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:35 pm

So, the heifer has been AI'd today with Black Angus. She's ~1150lbs+. Doing really fine, very mobile. She's now a nanny of weaned heifers. It looks that her injury won't affect her life much, except that she'll never meet bull.

Re-uploading her photo. Photo taken in summer. Will try to upload her recent photo later.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:52 pm

Her leg looks way better than earlier. She is slow and usually comes the last to the eat meal, but it's not due to the leg. Animals, which has similar conformation are usually pretty slow. Had several like this.
She's being a good "nanny" to the little sisters. :)

Her photo from this spring:
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”