Making the best black baldy cattle

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Making the best black baldy cattle

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun May 21, 2017 6:12 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
plumber_greg wrote:CB states that retaining heifers is a crapshoot on which ones will turn out to be good cows. Can tell he has no experience doing this. One thing I can assure someone is that I can save every heifer out of 100 cows of mine, and they will all turn out to be cows. No later culling will be necessary. I just don't, after generations of retaining them, have any that won't make cows. I may have a small percentage open when bred in a 70 day period, but even that is getting smaller and smaller.
Where in the world does those good cows he claims he buys come from? If everyone is broke saving heifers, how can there be commercial cows available? Accidently bred ones in the feedlot, I guess.
In order to gain net worth and retirement income, assets must be acculimated. If it all was about cash money, and how much can I make today, assets cannot be stockpiled.

CB, did not take Economics 101. It was a general education requirement or I would not have taken it - boring as watching paint dry. Nevertheless, I wanted an A , so I read the damm book. You just stated a fundamental principle of accumulating wealth! It is not just holding currency. It is the assets you hold. You get a gold star.

Depends on the quality of the assets. I know folks worth many millions "on paper" that can hardly buy a meal at a restaurant because they have no cash or cash flow. Asset Rich......cash poor.

Time to liquidate some assets.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun May 21, 2017 6:15 pm

WalnutCrest wrote:It appears some posters in this thread are confusing (intentionally or otherwise) the differences between profit, positive cash flow and increases in net worth.

At weaning, heifers can be retained, sold as future breeders or culled.
Before breeding, heifers can be retained, sold as future breeders or culled.
After breeding, heifers van be retained, sold as bred, sold as future breeders, or culled.

I hope my net worth has increased because I have converted a significant amount of liquid assets into real assets. Based on appraisal, I feel good but only when I sell will I know.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon May 22, 2017 9:46 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
CB, did not take Economics 101. It was a general education requirement or I would not have taken it - boring as watching paint dry. Nevertheless, I wanted an A , so I read the damm book. You just stated a fundamental principle of accumulating wealth! It is not just holding currency. It is the assets you hold. You get a gold star.

Depends on the quality of the assets. I know folks worth many millions "on paper" that can hardly buy a meal at a restaurant because they have no cash or cash flow. Asset Rich......cash poor.

Time to liquidate some assets.

You and I would.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Return to “Breeds Board”