Making the best black baldy cattle

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Making the best black baldy cattle

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun May 21, 2017 6:12 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
plumber_greg wrote:CB states that retaining heifers is a crapshoot on which ones will turn out to be good cows. Can tell he has no experience doing this. One thing I can assure someone is that I can save every heifer out of 100 cows of mine, and they will all turn out to be cows. No later culling will be necessary. I just don't, after generations of retaining them, have any that won't make cows. I may have a small percentage open when bred in a 70 day period, but even that is getting smaller and smaller.
Where in the world does those good cows he claims he buys come from? If everyone is broke saving heifers, how can there be commercial cows available? Accidently bred ones in the feedlot, I guess.
In order to gain net worth and retirement income, assets must be acculimated. If it all was about cash money, and how much can I make today, assets cannot be stockpiled.

CB, did not take Economics 101. It was a general education requirement or I would not have taken it - boring as watching paint dry. Nevertheless, I wanted an A , so I read the damm book. You just stated a fundamental principle of accumulating wealth! It is not just holding currency. It is the assets you hold. You get a gold star.

Depends on the quality of the assets. I know folks worth many millions "on paper" that can hardly buy a meal at a restaurant because they have no cash or cash flow. Asset Rich......cash poor.

Time to liquidate some assets.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun May 21, 2017 6:15 pm

WalnutCrest wrote:It appears some posters in this thread are confusing (intentionally or otherwise) the differences between profit, positive cash flow and increases in net worth.

At weaning, heifers can be retained, sold as future breeders or culled.
Before breeding, heifers can be retained, sold as future breeders or culled.
After breeding, heifers van be retained, sold as bred, sold as future breeders, or culled.

I hope my net worth has increased because I have converted a significant amount of liquid assets into real assets. Based on appraisal, I feel good but only when I sell will I know.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon May 22, 2017 9:46 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
CB, did not take Economics 101. It was a general education requirement or I would not have taken it - boring as watching paint dry. Nevertheless, I wanted an A , so I read the damm book. You just stated a fundamental principle of accumulating wealth! It is not just holding currency. It is the assets you hold. You get a gold star.

Depends on the quality of the assets. I know folks worth many millions "on paper" that can hardly buy a meal at a restaurant because they have no cash or cash flow. Asset Rich......cash poor.

Time to liquidate some assets.

You and I would.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

BrannonCarroll
Beginner
Beginner

Postby BrannonCarroll » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:49 am

I am interested in making Super Baldies. Financial arguments aside...what would be the best combination for someone starting fresh

Pure F1 Brangus x Registered Hereford
Pure F1 Brangus x registered black Hereford
BWF Brangus x hereford
BWF Brangus x black Hereford
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:52 am

For the most heterosis number 1
2 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:02 am

dun wrote:For the most heterosis number 1

No question about that...
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

BrannonCarroll
Beginner
Beginner

Postby BrannonCarroll » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:49 pm

Not just heterosis (and I do understand that importance) but would one produce more or less BWF "baldy" look than the other? For example, would an already BWF Brangus x black Hereford have a increase percentage of BWF?

Or would super baldy cows x super baldy bull be better?

My only concern, is not really knowing how far you have drifted from the purebred. How do you maintain the best heterosis situation while increasing your chances of getting BWF.

Thanks for any input
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:11 pm

I believe your most consistent calves will come from reasonably tightly bred mama cows bred to reasonably tightly bred bulls.

By definition, registered cattle (due to known pedigrees (which assumes everyone was honest)) will have fewer genetic surprises than commercial cattle. So, that right there indicates that mossy registered cattle are more tightly bred than commercial cattle (although there are exceptions, like a couple of closed commercial herds I know of).

To get even more tightly bred, you'd need to find a breeder who was breeding the way you wanted to breed and buy from them.

Finding cattle close to your operation who are managed consistent to how you plan on raising them should be you're first goal. IMO.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:31 pm

BrannonCarroll wrote:Not just heterosis (and I do understand that importance) but would one produce more or less BWF "baldy" look than the other? For example, would an already BWF Brangus x black Hereford have a increase percentage of BWF?

My only concern, is not really knowing how far you have drifted from the purebred. How do you maintain the best heterosis situation while increasing your chances of getting BWF.

Thanks for any input
breeding to a Hereford bull like from " Danny Millers ""aka mrvictordomino straight bred herd..will,give you a big predictable bang... Bred to a brangus..
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Postby JWBrahman » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:09 pm

BrannonCarroll wrote:I am interested in making Super Baldies. Financial arguments aside...what would be the best combination for someone starting fresh

BWF Brangus x hereford

F1 Hybrid Braford x Angus bull
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:40 pm

You have the cow that best fits your environment. You can always bring the bull in via little frozen straws...
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:47 pm

JWBrahman wrote:
BrannonCarroll wrote:I am interested in making Super Baldies. Financial arguments aside...what would be the best combination for someone starting fresh

BWF Brangus x hereford

F1 Hybrid Braford x Angus bull

Yes sir. That's what these are. Their mama is and F1 Braford and daddy is a Black Angus. These are some of my favorite cattle. I keep a couple like this every year. They are easy to handle, tough, raise good calves... and you can put any kind of bull across them you want.

0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:53 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
BrannonCarroll wrote:Not just heterosis (and I do understand that importance) but would one produce more or less BWF "baldy" look than the other? For example, would an already BWF Brangus x black Hereford have a increase percentage of BWF?

Thanks for any input
breeding to a Hereford bull like from " Danny Millers ""aka mrvictordomino straight bred herd..will,give you a big predictable bang... Bred to a brangus..

I'm getting a nice bang running an Angus bull over Danny's Domino cows.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

mrvictordomino
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby mrvictordomino » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:03 pm

WalnutCrest wrote:I believe your most consistent calves will come from reasonably tightly bred mama cows bred to reasonably tightly bred bulls.

By definition, registered cattle (due to known pedigrees (which assumes everyone was honest)) will have fewer genetic surprises than commercial cattle. So, that right there indicates that mossy registered cattle are more tightly bred than commercial cattle (although there are exceptions, like a couple of closed commercial herds I know of).

To get even more tightly bred, you'd need to find a breeder who was breeding the way you wanted to breed and buy from them.

Finding cattle close to your operation who are managed consistent to how you plan on raising them should be you're first goal. IMO.

That has been my experience. A few years back I needed an older Angus bull to cover my commercial herd. I leased a close bred bull from Mike Keeney and used him on my linebred cows.....The results were amazing, not only for consistancy but performance as well.
1 x
www.jmsvictordomino.com

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:49 pm

mrvictordomino wrote:
WalnutCrest wrote:I believe your most consistent calves will come from reasonably tightly bred mama cows bred to reasonably tightly bred bulls.

That has been my experience. A few years back I needed an older Angus bull to cover my commercial herd. I leased a close bred bull from Mike Keeney and used him on my linebred cows.....The results were amazing, not only for consistancy but performance as well.

Exactly what I'm talking about.

Two separate, well bred, genetically different lines can come together and really do some awesome stuff. Your stuff and Keeney's stuff is exactly what I'm talking about.

And it's what were doing here.
1 x

Return to “Breeds Board”