Let's Bicker

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Re: Let's Bicker

Postby WalnutCrest » Sun May 07, 2017 4:31 pm

Yes ... as I understand it (I wasn't there, afterall), the researchers visited tribes and villages and bought all the cattle the villagers and tribal leaders would sell that all matched the same basic phenotype ... and went from there.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun May 07, 2017 4:37 pm

WalnutCrest wrote:Yes ... as I understand it (I wasn't there, afterall), the researchers visited tribes and villages and bought all the cattle the villagers and tribal leaders would sell that all matched the same basic phenotype ... and went from there.

Thanks. The history of the cattle in Mashonaland has to be complex. Africans are great cattle people. It is the heart of their cultural history. Cattle probably came into Zimbabwe from the north, through Ethiopia and perhaps influenced by Egyptian breeds.

Not a lot I can find on the Mashona cattle. Please post some pictures if you would.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Sun May 07, 2017 5:04 pm

...you bet. It'll have to wait (maybe until tomorrow) as I'm getting ready to head out to my son's baseball practice.
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Mon May 08, 2017 12:34 pm

dun wrote:In the spirit of things, if I had a perfect 1955 corvette and painted it JD green, how is that an improvement?

You take that back. You take that back right now! Only original colors!
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon May 08, 2017 4:51 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
dun wrote:In the spirit of things, if I had a perfect 1955 corvette and painted it JD green, how is that an improvement?

You take that back. You take that back right now! Only original colors!

EXACTLY my point!
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Mon May 08, 2017 9:19 pm

dun wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Is there a perfect breed? If the value of the 1955 Corvette was increased by 30 %, would you paint it JD Green?

Perfect as in "just like it rolled off the facotry floor in 1955". No I wouldn;t, that would be like painting my Model A pickup bright purple

Yep paint it purple put some hydraulics on it some 22 spinners and some speakers in the back and you would have a great car.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Mon May 08, 2017 9:32 pm

I think the best cow is the one I have because she comes to feed, is a good mother and she's paid for. Can't really improve on that.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Mon May 08, 2017 11:34 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:I think the best cow is the one I have because she comes to feed, is a good mother and she's paid for. Can't really improve on that.

Sure there is...what if you had one that didn't need to come in to feed in order to be able to do her job?!
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Tue May 09, 2017 4:01 am

Some guys just gotta have green. Seen a farm where the guy painted his grain bins JD green in the yard.. You can imagine how great that looked.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue May 09, 2017 5:38 am

Harvester Blue though expensive was always a beautiful color choice
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Tue May 09, 2017 10:15 am

WalnutCrest wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:I think the best cow is the one I have because she comes to feed, is a good mother and she's paid for. Can't really improve on that.

Sure there is...what if you had one that didn't need to come in to feed in order to be able to do her job?!

To clarify, I meant she is easy to gather. Honestly, there is no perfect cow. Go to Denver or Fort Worth and at both shows the Grand Champion will have something that could be fixed. Why? Because all of this is subjective. Of course, there's some traits that aren't (Hereford eye pigment for example), but when you start getting knit picky, a lot of it is subjective.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue May 09, 2017 10:53 am

You are dead on with that statement. The heck with needing horses and dogs to gather cows. You can't control the weather but you can make a cow follow you anywhere with a little feed.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Tue May 09, 2017 1:20 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:

You are dead on with that statement. The heck with needing horses and dogs to gather cows. You can't control the weather but you can make a cow follow you anywhere with a little feed.

Well stated :tiphat:
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Tue May 09, 2017 4:05 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:

I personally like the cows you can get to follow you without feed!
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue May 09, 2017 4:32 pm

WalnutCrest wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

I personally like the cows you can get to follow you without feed!

Then you would love mine. I cannot saw up a tree that has fallen because they all crowd around as spectators. Even the noise of the chainsaw only causes them to step back. They will chase you down for a scratch.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”