We need more Lower Tier Bulls

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: We need more Lower Tier Bulls

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat May 13, 2017 1:47 pm

FlyingLSimmentals wrote:I buy the best quality bulls, heifers, hay etc... I can afford that will still make money for me and not just any junk just to have something to eat my grass or play hobby Ronald McDonald. SOB, Many spend their money on everything but their livestock such as brand new trucks, fancy long vacations, brand new ATV/RTV/UTV, hunting pleasures, brand new livestock trailers, etc...... and no their money isn't coming from saving their pennies buying cheap crappy inputs for the farm. I try to stay dependable. Dependable truck, dependable trailer, dependable atv, good dependable bull, etc... Probably will never have the best of anything but I ain't neglecting something to have the best of something else.

Does a 1977 Massey qualify?
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Sat May 13, 2017 1:53 pm

CB, if it gets the job done. I've never had a Massey so I can't speak to much about them.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat May 13, 2017 1:59 pm

FlyingLSimmentals wrote:CB, if it gets the job done. I've never had a Massey so I can't speak to much about them.

Still cranks and goes to work the warranty is about up. I prefer it to my new one an 06 NH. I have no clue how many hours or miles that old girl put in the hay fields. The odometer has 10k hours on it and it didn't work half the time for several years.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat May 13, 2017 2:22 pm

Late last summer with prices crashing I bought the sorriest old bunch of broke mouth skanks the sale barn had. Short bred less than 500.00 apiece in em . A mild winter , good oat pasture fair hay , and a little cottonseed. They shaped up pretty good. Had their calves. I've been hauling the pair's back to the same barn.
Have to go out early in the morning and watch em mother up so I can figure out which calf goes with which cow. Been getting 1000.00 to 1200.00 per pair. Close to doubling my money in 8 months. Sorry looking old cattle but a good looking bottom line.
Thinking about a new atv... :hat:
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Sat May 13, 2017 2:24 pm

callmefence wrote:Late last summer with prices crashing I bought the sorriest old bunch of broke mouth skanks the sale barn had. Short bred less than 500.00 apiece in em . A mild winter , good oat pasture fair hay , and a little cottonseed. They shaped up pretty good. Had their calves. I've been hauling the pair's back to the same barn.
Have to go out early in the morning and watch em mother up so I can figure out which calf goes with which cow. Been getting 1000.00 to 1200.00 per pair. Close to doubling my money in 8 months. Sorry looking old cattle but a good looking bottom line.

That sounds like a home run :cowboy: The amount of money coming in is not nearly as important as the difference between what is coming in and what is going out.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat May 13, 2017 3:50 pm

callmefence wrote:Late last summer with prices crashing I bought the sorriest old bunch of broke mouth skanks the sale barn had. Short bred less than 500.00 apiece in em . A mild winter , good oat pasture fair hay , and a little cottonseed. They shaped up pretty good. Had their calves. I've been hauling the pair's back to the same barn.

Good for you. I like to hear when someone uses their head and gets rewarded for their effort. It is not a surprise to me to hear a success story from you. You are a doer.
:D
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Sat May 13, 2017 4:01 pm

Good job, fence. Sounds like you got it figured out.

If I had done that, they would have died before I got them home, or aborted/not milked/take your pick
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat May 13, 2017 7:10 pm

callmefence wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:Actually this is a niche market I'm developing at this time. In the past six months I've sold 3 purebred but unregistered Angus bulls at $2,500 per head and 2 at $2,000. These were a coming 2 year olds or had already reached that age. The fella who bought the last one for $2,000 also bought 2 yearlings at $1,500 each. I plan to keep a few bulls available year round at various ages and stages of development to sell to guys who want quality but need a bull "when they need a bull" and don't want to pay a ton of money for them.

Starting the same program with bred heifers this fall.

That's a good idea if you have a base that trust you to say what it is. Even for just one season a fellow could get his cattle covered by a good bull.
Sell them, the bulls commercial and get a fair amount of his bull money back.
If you don't mind. Why are you not registering these?

Mainly because I live 4 hours away and my farm manager has enough to deal with as is and I can't ask him to weigh them at birth. When the day comes that I'm on site I will start registering all the bulls and heifers that qualify.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat May 13, 2017 8:45 pm

Old massey? OK, I think this one is 1979, 3500 hrs and in perfect mechanical shape (and body now too)..
I know that in 20 years I'll get more than I put into it, while buying a new tractor I'd be lucky to get half.. and in 40 years from now the new tractor will be scrap, this one will still work.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun May 14, 2017 10:37 pm

I have noticed, the largest proponents of high priced bulls, are people with bulls to sell.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun May 14, 2017 11:32 pm

Bigfoot wrote:I have noticed, the largest proponents of high priced bulls, are people with bulls to sell.

:lol2: :nod: Do you blame them? :lol2:
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue May 16, 2017 2:18 am

Local sale barn sold a dozen 'black breeding bulls' weighing 1000 - 1600 lbs $1200 - $2100 most of them brought $1550
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Tue May 16, 2017 5:43 am

Bigfoot wrote:I have noticed, the largest proponents of high priced bulls, are people with bulls to sell.
+1
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Tue May 16, 2017 5:57 am

I will post from the buyers side with some of my thoughts. In my opinion of looking at bulls for the last 4 years of several breeds but mainly Herefords and Angus as that is what there are more of in my area. In my opinion there are already too many lower tier bulls around. Some aren't priced that way but they are quality wise. In fact many should of had the knife or band used on them at a young age.

I believe a PB breeder should make a profit. But in todays market it is hard for me to pencil in anything over $4,000 and make it work. Although I did offer 5 once last year for a very nice bull that brought 11 thousand a few weeks ago. And offered $4,500 for a couple and got turned down on both of them. Priced another last fall that was a fall yearling that the seller said he wouldn't take a dime less than $5,750. I was prepared to give up to $4,500 for him. He took around 3 thousand for him at a recent breed sale over 200 miles from his ranch. Had the same thing happen last year. Doesn't make sense to me and other commercial bull buyers that they will turn down more at home and then feed them several more months, haul them a distance, pay commision and take a lot less. What I've found with most herds but not all is that the top 10-25% of the bulls they have for sale are worth keeping as bulls the rest should of been sold at the sale barn as a steer. Just because they fed him for several months doesn't make him a bull worth using on cows. Likewise I've seen several bulls in sales away from here of reasonable quality bringing less than two. I hate to see quality bulls bringing those amounts as I'm afraid the good breeders will quit going to the trouble of saving and developing them. The current market here is flooded with bulls. We have decided to wait and see what the market does and also see how a bull gets along that was a little crippled. I feel we will be able to buy a bull later at a reasonable price if we need one. Hopefully this market will encourage the breeders to use the knife on those that should of been steers. In the period of high demand for bulls 2-3 years ago too many breeders didn't use the knife snd many started keeping and selling non registered bulls. Now they all have bulls in their pens. I'm sure many will end up being sold by the pound which is where most should of been sold.
Last edited by elkwc on Tue May 16, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue May 16, 2017 6:29 am

The average cow/calf operation in Kentucky is about 20 head. They buy bulls for about $1500 or less. As someone mentioned, many buy culled bulls at the Stockyards.

The cost share program for improvement of herd genetics is intended to encourage producers to use better bulls. It has helped.

I bought my first bull (a registered Angus) for about $1800. When his photo was put up on Cattle Today back in 2013, he was massacred. I had him about 16 months and sold him. At that time, I began to AI. I still needed a bull so I bought a Rocking P bull ( registered Bull with Built Right pedigree) for $2500. I kept Spartacus about 2 years and leased him. While on lease, a guy saw him and I sold him. For the last two years, I have been total AI. I do not have a bull and that is a pleasure. I have only 16 cows, all registered. So far, they have bred back AI without any problems.

I don't want a bull to deal with but if I did, I would raise my own. I would not pay more than $2500 for a bull.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”