We need more Lower Tier Bulls

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Post Oak
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: We need more Lower Tier Bulls

Postby Post Oak » Sun May 21, 2017 4:36 am

FlyingLSimmentals wrote:Probably have their kids just out of diapers fill all them gullies in that stupid adult made.

My old army buddy over in Hart County KY says that the Amish will buy some worn out land and make it into a prize farm in a decade.
0 x
"Stretch your legs to suit your quilt. Very many of us are always busy stretching or shrinking ourselves to suit somebody's quilt besides our own."- John Donald Wade

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun May 21, 2017 6:22 am

Post Oak wrote:
FlyingLSimmentals wrote:Probably have their kids just out of diapers fill all them gullies in that stupid adult made.

My old army buddy over in Hart County KY says that the Amish will buy some worn out land and make it into a prize farm in a decade.

Common practice in this area. They buy over grown farms, clear and grade, renovate the pastures, build their own infrastructure and suddenly, its the nicest farm in the area.
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Sun May 21, 2017 7:12 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Post Oak wrote:

Common practice in this area. They buy over grown farms, clear and grade, renovate the pastures, build their own infrastructure and suddenly, its the nicest farm in the area.

The Amish I've been around and got to know a little here in KS have impressed me.
0 x

Clodhopper
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Clodhopper » Sun May 21, 2017 8:03 am

FlyingLSimmentals wrote:Most Want Good Bulls at Lower Tier Prices, really bad in wky. I've told ones around here what bulls have sold for at different Seed Stock Sales I've attended in the past and it's like a gasket blows out upstairs. Guess it may be a reason why cattle is getting very thin in WKY especially my county, when the prices got high at the sale barns everyone tried to hit the jackpot and sold everything. Was too expensive to buy new herds, bulls, etc... Went to cropping all those cattle acres and began to watch them wash away. Although now several are cashing them out to the Amish for big money. I suppose the Amish will fix the gullies and ditches.

I went to Crittenden County yesterday to look at some cows, there still seemed to be quite a few cattle there, and an Amish store, too. We crossed the ferry on the way down, and crossed the bridge at Shawneetown on the way back. It did look like a lot of smaller empty feedlots were around, and a couple empty auction barns as well.
0 x

FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Sun May 21, 2017 9:37 am

Yeah Clodhopper Crittenden and Union counties have been larger cattle counties in WKY but are lots less than in the late 90's & first 2000-10 decade. The sale barn been closed for I guess about 2-3 years or so. Still buy some feed at the feed mill in Marion but its expensive considering how cheap grain and cattle are. Need to find the Amish store. I've crossed the ferry and the bridge a few times but don't get up in Illinois very much. It's really amazing how different the regions and appearance of Kentucky is.
0 x

Post Oak
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Post Oak » Sun May 21, 2017 10:50 am

Western Kentucky is where they have Burgoo and barbecued mutton. I loved the burgoo that I had in Guthrie KY a few years ago.
0 x
"Stretch your legs to suit your quilt. Very many of us are always busy stretching or shrinking ourselves to suit somebody's quilt besides our own."- John Donald Wade

FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Mon May 22, 2017 4:09 pm

My Grandmother made the best burgoo, really miss it. I've had barbecue mutton in Guthrie pretty good. Sometimes I just have to drive east and get into the central part of the state when I get tired of looking at grain field after grain field driving down the road.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon May 22, 2017 4:14 pm

FlyingLSimmentals wrote:My Grandmother made the best burgoo, really miss it. I've had barbecue mutton in Guthrie pretty good. Sometimes I just have to drive east and get into the central part of the state when I get tired of looking at grain field after grain field driving down the road.

Mike. This summer, meet me in Lexington, we'll go to Smithtown Seafood for lunch and then we can tour through the appalachian mountains of eastern Kentucky. It will be a dramatic change from that boring row crop country.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Mon May 22, 2017 9:16 pm

Post Oak wrote:Western Kentucky is where they have Burgoo and barbecued mutton. I loved the burgoo that I had in Guthrie KY a few years ago.

I am in the eastern half of the state, but have relatives in Owensboro KY. When we go there to visit, we almost always eat a barbeque restaurant there. Usually get mutton, because we don't have it here.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Mon May 22, 2017 10:18 pm

Burgoo?
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Tue May 23, 2017 9:49 am

Ron, I know it would be! Thanks for the invitation would be nice to meet you, I'll check my calendar and planner. Have lots of things going on this summer and trying to plan a long get away this Fall to New York and to go by the Hudson Pines Dispersal. I'll PM you if I can work it in and see if it will work for us both.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue May 23, 2017 9:52 am

WalnutCrest wrote:Burgoo?

Sorry imitation of Brunswick Stew made with wildlife rather than good old beef. I won't eat the stuff.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Tue May 23, 2017 9:56 am

WalnutCrest, it's like a spicy stew or soup. Many variations. Bing or Google it.
0 x

FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Tue May 23, 2017 9:58 am

TT are you a Yank in a wrong state?
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue May 23, 2017 10:10 am

FlyingLSimmentals wrote:TT are you a Yank in a wrong state?

I'm as Southern as it gets I just don't care for Bird Pooh stew. Oh, and Kentucky BBQ is sub par as well.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Return to “Breeds Board”