Tigerstripe bull

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Jdwest
Cowhand
Cowhand

Tigerstripe bull

Postby Jdwest » Mon May 15, 2017 8:39 am

What kind of calves would a tigerstripe bull have if he breeds brangus and brangus baldies? I found a good deal on one and I'm wondering if it would be a good investment since I could be looking for a bull in the next year or so.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Re: Tigerstripe bull

Postby Rafter S » Mon May 15, 2017 8:58 am

You'd probably get a variety. I wouldn't personally do it.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Mon May 15, 2017 9:06 am

You'll get a rainbow crop of calves.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon May 15, 2017 9:19 am

Rafter S wrote:You'd probably get a variety. I wouldn't personally do it.

X10 that has problems written all over it.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:24 am

id try and buy his sister
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:51 am

I just sold a Tigerstripe bull two weeks ago that I had for 5+ years. You can find the post here where every one reamed me when I first got him. The fact is he was bred from blood lines that have been ranching those cattle for like, 100 years. Most people on here will tell you don't do it, but if you do it right you will laugh all the way to the bank.

It will depend on how true your Brangus cows are and what they carry. I had "Brangus type" cattle. He would throw solid blacks, black mots, solid reds, red mots, and even some tiger stripes.... all of which are good for me... and the buyers.

I do advise to make sure you buy from a solid breeder with history. There are people who purposely breed those cattle and have been for years. If you go to the Braford sales you will see a lot of the registered bulls and cows tiger striped. Their breeding is just as tight and controlled as any other. Don't just buy a bull because he is tiger striped. There are a lot of ways to get a Tiger Stripe and you still want genetics and history not just hide color.

I'm in the market for another Braford bull to put back across our Braford and Brangus Type cattle right now.

I have some more pics of his calves on my lap top. I really hated to part with him because he was tough as nails and his daughters are tough as nails.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:26 am

Two of my favorite pics. Tiger bull on two home raised half-sisters. Most of these are bulls in the pics but people go crazy over their heifer mates for replacements and the bulls sell good thru the ring.

0 x

Jdwest
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Jdwest » Mon May 15, 2017 10:40 am

Those calves look real nice
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon May 15, 2017 10:53 am

I love the brimmer F/1 I will always disagree with going with a crossbred bull. It simply isn't smart a bad cow hurts a bad bull is a disaster.
There just many anomalies that can come out of Pandora's box.
You should read this
https://www.brahman.org/PDFs/Reciprocal ... rences.pdf
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:02 am

You have to weigh the benefits of what you want. You are running Brangus now for a reason. If you start buying F1, 50/50 Tiger Stipe bulls, you will really limit you buying options vs buying a Braford or Brangus Bull.

A good Braford bull will do every thing just as good, or better, than an F1 Tiger IMO, and you can keep that 3/8 Brahman so you don't get over saturated. If you purposely want more Brahman then you can usually find 50/50 bulls, both Herf X and Angus X, at the Brangus and Braford breeders.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Mon May 15, 2017 3:18 pm

Why not use a Brangus bull?
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Thu May 18, 2017 12:02 am

Jdwest wrote:What kind of calves would a tigerstripe bull have if he breeds brangus and brangus baldies? I found a good deal on one and I'm wondering if it would be a good investment since I could be looking for a bull in the next year or so.

What is this bulls breeding? Is he F1 Braford, registered Braford or Beefmaster or something else?
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:29 pm

I see them for sale all over craigslist, I figure its people trying to get out of taking them to the auction.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

f1tiger
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby f1tiger » Sat May 20, 2017 11:11 am

I sell f1 bulls to ranchers from Baton Rouge,Port Arthur,Winnie,Bolivar Peninsula. They claim the f1 will survive and outperform purebred bulls in that harsh environment in the marsh. They can handle the flies,ticks and mosquitoes better(had a goose lease down White's ranch road in the 80's mosquitoes big as drones and millions of them) if you have cattle in creek or river bottom that flood the tigerstripe bull will work for you. If you do not need that extra Brahman influence stay with what works for your climate and conditions. I would suggest before you buy from anyone ask for past customers name for references and see where your supplier bought his cattle. I would not buy any bull cause it is a good deal as you get what you pay for
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Sat May 20, 2017 11:21 am

f1tiger wrote:I sell f1 bulls to ranchers from Baton Rouge,Port Arthur,Winnie,Bolivar Peninsula. They claim the f1 will survive and outperform purebred bulls in that harsh environment in the marsh. They can handle the flies,ticks and mosquitoes better(had a goose lease down White's ranch road in the 80's mosquitoes big as drones and millions of them) if you have cattle in creek or river bottom that flood the tigerstripe bull will work for you. If you do not need that extra Brahman influence stay with what works for your climate and conditions. I would suggest before you buy from anyone ask for past customers name for references and see where your supplier bought his cattle. I would not buy any bull cause it is a good deal as you get what you pay for

+1
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”