True Grit - Seedstock

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Stanford777
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:33 pm

Re: True Grit - Seedstock

Postby Stanford777 » Tue May 16, 2017 7:44 pm

It takes all kinds of kinds. Democrats, Republicans, cross dressers, and cowboys.
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: True Grit - Seedstock

Postby Bright Raven » Tue May 16, 2017 7:53 pm

callmefence wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
M-5 wrote:Your view of ideal cow conditions is slightly tilted , all of us don't pet or get too concerned if you can see a little pin or a rib.


I do not view over conditioned cows as ideal. Despite what TT keeps saying about feeding grain, I don't feed enough to cause the condition problem I have. It is a combination of easy keeping cows and excellent forage. Fire Sweep says I am under stocked.

I am concerned about 4 of my cows. I do not consider over conditioned cows as IDEAL.

I apologize to Vince if I hurt his feelings. :D

He posted this earlier:
Raven folks like you are a double edged sword. On one hand they help the seedstock market, on the other they damage it tremendously.

I am only defending myself. :cboy:


Not a problem I've ever had but..

Have you tried making your water , feed, mineral as far apart as possible to get the cows to travel more.


In the summer, my bred cows are on the back of the farm. There is a creek back there that flows all the time unless there is a drought. So water and grass are always available. I have three mineral stations.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:01 pm
Location: Northeast KS (USA)
Contact:

Re: True Grit - Seedstock

Postby WalnutCrest » Tue May 16, 2017 8:28 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
M-5 wrote:Your view of ideal cow conditions is slightly tilted , all of us don't pet or get too concerned if you can see a little pin or a rib.


I do not view over conditioned cows as ideal. Despite what TT keeps saying about feeding grain, I don't feed enough to cause the condition problem I have. It is a combination of easy keeping cows and excellent forage. Fire Sweep says I am under stocked.

I am concerned about 4 of my cows. I do not consider over conditioned cows as IDEAL.

I apologize to Vince if I hurt his feelings. :D

He posted this earlier:
Raven folks like you are a double edged sword. On one hand they help the seedstock market, on the other they damage it tremendously.

I am only defending myself. :cboy:


Based on what you've described, you're definitely understocked.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4112
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: True Grit - Seedstock

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue May 16, 2017 8:30 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
I do not view over conditioned cows as ideal. Despite what TT keeps saying about feeding grain, I don't feed enough to cause the condition problem I have. It is a combination of easy keeping cows and excellent forage. Fire Sweep says I am under stocked.

I am concerned about 4 of my cows. I do not consider over conditioned cows as IDEAL.

I apologize to Vince if I hurt his feelings. :D

He posted this earlier:
Raven folks like you are a double edged sword. On one hand they help the seedstock market, on the other they damage it tremendously.

I am only defending myself. :cboy:


Can you imagine what the price of seedstock would be without the small operation?


Vince: how do you define seedstock? You put me in that category this morning with that comment about double edge sword. Why do you say I do "tremendous" damage?


http://www.thebeefsite.com/articles/193 ... seedstock/
This is pretty much defines how I feel. Or whenever you sell something to someone for breeding purposes.
The tremendous damage is two fold, price and quality. Your not as worried about phenotype - traits as you should be for the betterment of the breed. Your more into the docility - show aspect which is a great way to find buyers, most everyone likes to pet, brush and lead cattle. Docility is important but can never make up for the lack of proper phenotype - traits. Using the proper or in proper traits - phenotype types last along time in a commercial herd.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 46737
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: True Grit - Seedstock

Postby dun » Tue May 16, 2017 8:47 pm

callmefence wrote:What's wrong with a working man who is lucky enough to get to do this letting his cattle work for him. Americans do eat hamburger you know. I must have to much to do. I don't worry much about others run their business.

I personally have no problem with whatever quality cattle someone wants ro raise. What POs me is when they then complain because someone raising better quality more in demand cattle get more at sale time.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: True Grit - Seedstock

Postby Bright Raven » Tue May 16, 2017 8:48 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Can you imagine what the price of seedstock would be without the small operation?


Vince: how do you define seedstock? You put me in that category this morning with that comment about double edge sword. Why do you say I do "tremendous" damage?


http://www.thebeefsite.com/articles/193 ... seedstock/
This is pretty much defines how I feel. Or whenever you sell something to someone for breeding purposes.
The tremendous damage is two fold, price and quality. Your not as worried about phenotype - traits as you should be for the betterment of the breed. Your more into the docility - show aspect which is a great way to find buyers, most everyone likes to pet, brush and lead cattle. Docility is important but can never make up for the lack of proper phenotype - traits. Using the proper or in proper traits - phenotype types last along time in a commercial herd.


Where you use the term phenotype, I prefer the term trait. For example: the quality of a cow's feet, udder, docility, marbling, etc. Those are traits: a genetically determined characteristic. To characterize me ad not "worried" about traits is untrue! I do put emphasis on docility but not to the exclusion of any other trait.
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: True Grit - Seedstock

Postby Bright Raven » Tue May 16, 2017 8:59 pm

dun wrote:
callmefence wrote:What's wrong with a working man who is lucky enough to get to do this letting his cattle work for him. Americans do eat hamburger you know. I must have to much to do. I don't worry much about others run their business.

I personally have no problem with whatever quality cattle someone wants ro raise. What POs me is when they then complain because someone raising better quality more in demand cattle get more at sale time.


I feel the same way.
0 x

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10302
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: True Grit - Seedstock

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue May 16, 2017 9:13 pm

Stanford777 wrote:It takes all kinds of kinds. Democrats, Republicans, cross dressers, and cowboys.


I could do without cross dressing Democrats.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3140
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: True Grit - Seedstock

Postby callmefence » Tue May 16, 2017 9:25 pm

dun wrote:
callmefence wrote:What's wrong with a working man who is lucky enough to get to do this letting his cattle work for him. Americans do eat hamburger you know. I must have to much to do. I don't worry much about others run their business.

I personally have no problem with whatever quality cattle someone wants ro raise. What POs me is when they then complain because someone raising better quality more in demand cattle get more at sale time.


That's fair enough
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

talltimber
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1203
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:29 pm
Location: Southeast Missouri

Re: True Grit - Seedstock

Postby talltimber » Tue May 16, 2017 9:28 pm

dun wrote:
callmefence wrote:What's wrong with a working man who is lucky enough to get to do this letting his cattle work for him. Americans do eat hamburger you know. I must have to much to do. I don't worry much about others run their business.

I personally have no problem with whatever quality cattle someone wants ro raise. What POs me is when they then complain because someone raising better quality more in demand cattle get more at sale time.


Around here that's usually because they got screwed at the barn; not known at the barn; not in the clique; not the right color, etc. Not because they brought junk to the sale.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Stanford777
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:33 pm

Re: True Grit - Seedstock

Postby Stanford777 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:05 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Stanford777 wrote:It takes all kinds of kinds. Democrats, Republicans, cross dressers, and cowboys.


I could do without cross dressing Democrats.


It appears Hillary was a cross dressing democrat
0 x

Clodhopper
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:16 pm
Location: Southeastern IL

Re: True Grit - Seedstock

Postby Clodhopper » Thu May 18, 2017 6:40 am

Ok, I have a situation for you all. I bought a registered heifer of breeding age, lets call her Princess, put her in with a bull and a few other heifers. Everyone gets bred except for Princess. She goes back to the breeder, who has a set amount of time to get her bred. She sneaks in under the wire on the breeding timeframe, and comes back home to me as 2nd stage bred. A couple months later she has a very premature dead calf. According to breed association rules, the breeder is in the clear. Should he stand behind her, or wash his hands of the situation? We now have a three year old heifer who obviously has some problems, so she's just expensive hamburger. What's the right thing for the breeder to do?
0 x

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 46737
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: True Grit - Seedstock

Postby dun » Thu May 18, 2017 6:51 am

The right thing would be in my opinion to take her back. But legally you are probably stuck with her.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4112
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: True Grit - Seedstock

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu May 18, 2017 7:06 am

Clodhopper wrote:Ok, I have a situation for you all. I bought a registered heifer of breeding age, lets call her Princess, put her in with a bull and a few other heifers. Everyone gets bred except for Princess. She goes back to the breeder, who has a set amount of time to get her bred. She sneaks in under the wire on the breeding timeframe, and comes back home to me as 2nd stage bred. A couple months later she has a very premature dead calf. According to breed association rules, the breeder is in the clear. Should he stand behind her, or wash his hands of the situation? We now have a three year old heifer who obviously has some problems, so she's just expensive hamburger. What's the right thing for the breeder to do?


That's a tough one right there. There's plenty of things that will cause a cow to abort a calf. My take is if the customer isn't happy something needs to be done to rectify the situation.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:01 pm
Location: Northeast KS (USA)
Contact:

Re: True Grit - Seedstock

Postby WalnutCrest » Thu May 18, 2017 8:01 am

Would he offer a partial credit towards another heifer with the same guarantee?

Will you try this heifer again?

I'd consider testing her for neospora.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle


Return to “Breeds Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests