Young Angus bulls

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Young Angus bulls

Postby Ky hills » Thu May 18, 2017 12:03 pm

These are some home raised AI sired yearling Angus bulls, that I have had out with heifers for a few weeks.
Stevenson Rockmount x Sydgen CC&7

PA Power Tool x HA Image Maker

A crossbred Rockmount son out of a Beefmaster cow, that we are using on a very small number of cows.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Young Angus bulls

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu May 18, 2017 12:16 pm

What kind of cows are you using the crossbred bull on, and why?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Thu May 18, 2017 12:44 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:What kind of cows are you using the crossbred bull on, and why?

Just a small number of cows, Angus, and BWF, I like a little bit of Brahman influence. The cows that I have that have a small amount of ear breeding in them, seem to milk well, and raise good sized calves. I have thought about AI'ing some to Brangus or Beefmaster, but have just been using bulls the last 2 years.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu May 18, 2017 1:01 pm

Ky hills wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:What kind of cows are you using the crossbred bull on, and why?

Just a small number of cows, Angus, and BWF, I like a little bit of Brahman influence. The cows that I have that have a small amount of ear breeding in them, seem to milk well, and raise good sized calves. I have thought about AI'ing some to Brangus or Beefmaster, but have just been using bulls the last 2 years.

:shock: You just just broke two of the CT cardinal rules... using cattle with ear in the north and a crossbred bull. You are officially blacklisted. Prepare for the 100 Question War with the Angus Mafia. :hide:
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Thu May 18, 2017 1:11 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Ky hills wrote:

:shock: You just just broke two of the CT cardinal rules... using cattle with ear in the north and a crossbred bull. You are officially blacklisted. Prepare for the 100 Question War with the Angus Mafia. :hide:

Thanks for the warning. We don't consider ourselves as being in the north though, maybe my rebellious side coming through with posting that picture :lol2:
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu May 18, 2017 1:17 pm

Ky hills wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
Ky hills wrote:

Thanks for the warning. We don't consider ourselves as being in the north though, maybe my rebellious side coming through with posting that picture :lol2:

Please accept my deepest apology, I meant no offense. :tiphat: I meant north of the Brahman line... not the Mason-Dixon.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Thu May 18, 2017 3:55 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Ky hills wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

Please accept my deepest apology, I meant no offense. :tiphat: I meant north of the Brahman line... not the Mason-Dixon.

No offense taken. Years ago there were several herds of Santa Gertrudis, and Beefmasters around and a few commercial herds that ran Brahman bulls. In more recent times not as much.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu May 18, 2017 8:10 pm

That's because the Angus Mafia pushed them out.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Thu May 18, 2017 9:07 pm

What do you like about those Angus bulls. That one in the first pic looks pretty stout in the front.
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Thu May 18, 2017 10:04 pm

Kingfisher wrote:What do you like about those Angus bulls. That one in the first pic looks pretty stout in the front.

The main thing that I like about them are that I didn't have to buy them, and they qualify as heifer bulls. I think the first bull is fairly stout. The second bull is long but I do fault him with having a topline that drops down behind his shoulders.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri May 19, 2017 4:41 am

Ky hills wrote:These are some home raised AI sired yearling Angus bulls, that I have had out with heifers for a few weeks.

First impression: Looks like a calving ease bull that is going to sire a lot of milk.
0 x

KNERSIE
GURU
GURU

Postby KNERSIE » Sun May 21, 2017 2:28 pm

And hard keeping daughters...
0 x
Every calf deserves a white face.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Sun May 21, 2017 8:23 pm

KNERSIE wrote:And hard keeping daughters...

I am not intending to disagree with the assessment of this bull, the daughters may very well be hard keepers, but his dam is one of my most dependable cows. She is one of our smaller framed cows, and stays in good condition, while consistently raising calves. This is a picture of her as a heifer in fall of 2012,
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Sun May 21, 2017 10:44 pm

KNERSIE wrote:And hard keeping daughters...
Just curious what makes you think hard keeping daughters?
0 x

Post Oak
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Post Oak » Mon May 22, 2017 4:53 am

Brute 23 wrote:
Ky hills wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

Where is the Brahman Line? I have always been told I-20.
0 x
"Stretch your legs to suit your quilt. Very many of us are always busy stretching or shrinking ourselves to suit somebody's quilt besides our own."- John Donald Wade

Return to “Breeds Board”