Cross from F-1 Brangus and Hereford

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Cross from F-1 Brangus and Hereford

Postby BK9954 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:51 pm

Anyone know what kind of cross usually come out of black F-1 Brangus cows crossed with hereford bull. Would they still retain much of the black?
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Re: Cross from F-1 Brangus and Hereford

Postby Rafter S » Sun May 21, 2017 8:19 pm

In my experience a Hereford bull on Brangus cows produces about 1 red calf to 10 black ones. I don't have much experience with Brahman x Angus F1 cows, but I'd expect a similar ratio. Hopefully someone with more first hand experience will reply.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sun May 21, 2017 8:29 pm

Like these girls here. I have 1 I picked up last year at a sale but she hasnt calved yet.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:42 am

We have very few straight F1 Angus X Brahman and I always say Brangus type cattle because Im not real sure what is in the woodpile... nor do I care.

I would agree with Rafter that you will probably see Black and Red Mots. Not sure the ratio. That might depend on how true your cows are.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Mon May 22, 2017 12:38 pm

We did it a long time ago and I know several around here who do it. Most calves are black with white or mot face. The steers bring good money at the sell barn and the heifers make excellent replacements.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Return to “Breeds Board”