What is hereditary from a cow

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Angus Rocks
Beginner
Beginner

Re: What is hereditary from a cow

Postby Angus Rocks » Wed May 24, 2017 10:15 pm

Here is a pic of the cow and the bad udder trying get a better pic I took but its not loading right now
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu May 25, 2017 12:14 am

Has she had mastitis or something before that would have caused her to lose the production of the front quarters? If it was caused by mastitis and she raises a good calf anyhow, I could perhaps take a gamble on that.. if that's just the way she is, not a chance
I do consider that bad, not because it just looks bad, but because it affects functionality.

I'm a tit guy.. a total sucker for a nice set of 'em
Here's a 16 year old cow

10 year old daughter's udder (poke yer eyes out on them!)

granddaughter with great granddaughter

It's definitely hereditary, and I've found it typically takes about 3 generations to get from a bad udder to something good.. don't ask how I know
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Thu May 25, 2017 5:40 am

Nesikep wrote:Has she had mastitis or something before that would have caused her to lose the production of the front quarters? If it was caused by mastitis and she raises a good calf anyhow, I could perhaps take a gamble on that.. if that's just the way she is, not a chance
I do consider that bad, not because it just looks bad, but because it affects functionality.

I'm a tit guy.. a total sucker for a nice set of 'em
Here's a 16 year old cow

10 year old daughter's udder (poke yer eyes out on them!)

granddaughter with great granddaughter

It's definitely hereditary, and I've found it typically takes about 3 generations to get from a bad udder to something good.. don't ask how I know

Nesi how long to improve milk production if they have an excellent bag?
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu May 25, 2017 9:46 am

I'm not sure, but I think you can do that more easiliy.. there are EPD's for that. I think it's easier to breed milk into the herd that bad udders out of it.. unless they're REALLY short of milk, they're still productive animals, even if not ideal, but bad udders are either a whole lot of work for you, or a cull.

Here's a cow that comes from a long line of bad udders... I'm not that fond of hers, and she's a blockhead, so I often have fun at calving time with her (this year it was a blizzard and 3 am of course) but you should have seen her great-grandma's (An old school Sim Fleck /Herf cow).. She certainly has a ton of milk though. (Same sire as the "daughter" pictured above)

This cow is one I saw at the sale barn.. I probably wouldn't like her feed bill, but I bet she could raise a couple calves right.. nice looking cow too and a good udder for the size of it
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Angus Rocks
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Angus Rocks » Thu May 25, 2017 10:25 am

I don't know her past history I bought her in December and first year with her but calf seems to be doing fine on the front half the rest of the cows I got from this guy got good udders. When I milked out the back there wasn't a problem with it I thought maybe when the calf got a little older it would match on to the back but hasn't happened yet
0 x

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Thu May 25, 2017 4:04 pm

We have an old Limi cow who many would have culled for a poor bag, but she is still here. She was purchased at the side of her dam (continued to produce and raise good calves for several more years unassisted), who had a horrible udder. The kicker is, the calf turned into an awesome cow that only had udder issues after a severe case of frost bite at 10 years old. She only has one functional teat this spring, but is nursing a nice black heifer calf just fine. That cow also now has several daughters and granddaughters in production that have perfect udders. The point is, if you are just starting out, a cow with a manageable poor udder, may be a inexpensive way to get genetics. Just remember to always breed her with that consideration in mind, and don't be afraid to cull her and offspring if the issue persists despite careful breeding selections.
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Angus Rocks
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Angus Rocks » Fri May 26, 2017 7:00 pm

Well I might be dumb but if heifer calf looks good when it's time to say replacement or not I'm of the mind now she isnt going to get kicked out because of moms udder. From what you guys are saying there is a 50% chance that the bulls genes will come thru and change it on the calf
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri May 26, 2017 8:32 pm

can always give it a try
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”