Uniformity vs diversity

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Clodhopper
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Uniformity vs diversity

Postby Clodhopper » Tue May 23, 2017 6:20 pm

As a whole, I don't think the cattle are in danger of this problem yet. I may be shooting off at the mouth, but I bet the hog and poultry industry are in more danger with the way they have their stock bred anymore. They may be pulling from a plenty deep gene pool, but they are all way to fragile in their makeup. When something can't even breed on its own, there's a problem. Some of these modern hogs can barely walk.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue May 23, 2017 10:24 pm

That's kinda what I'm getting at... 50 years ago the hog and chicken industries were much like the cattle industry is now, and there is a big push to get cattle there, and the more mega-ranches that crop up the more it gets pushed that way.

I think uniformity within a herd is a good thing, but don't think that all herds ought to be the same.. ET and AI are great tools, but perhaps if they're overused and every beef cow has 20 related sires it's going a little too far?
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Wed May 24, 2017 5:51 am

Nesikep wrote:That's kinda what I'm getting at... 50 years ago the hog and chicken industries were much like the cattle industry is now, and there is a big push to get cattle there, and the more mega-ranches that crop up the more it gets pushed that way.

I think uniformity within a herd is a good thing, but don't think that all herds ought to be the same.. ET and AI are great tools, but perhaps if they're overused and every beef cow has 20 related sires it's going a little too far?

+1
0 x

Stanford777
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Stanford777 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:18 am

The showpig industry has weeded out alot of genetic diversity, the older breeders owned boars and developed specific sire and sow lines, but those days are long gone. Certain breeds like the Chester whites and Poland chinas, have weeded out different lines to the point that you are hard pressed to find outcross genetics out there. Basically all animals go back to one or two sires. You're linebreeding even when u don't want to.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu May 25, 2017 1:58 pm

Nesikep wrote:Gear wheels were turning for a while...

What are your thoughts on uniformity vs diversity in the general cattle population?

I see a lot of black ones :nod: but not a lot of straight breds.

Used to be quite of bit of stein in the woodpile here, but that is mostly over with the small dairies being a thing of the past.

Now lots of simi or limi x bulls being used so you have outliers in the population. The issue I have seen from this is an increase in calving problems with heifers.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Return to “Breeds Board”